Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Help Please :(

Author
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 14:22
after trying to crush my head into a window j/k
programming is very confusing to me..
what can i do , i guess i'm not that smart to do it correctly
i try and i try and this puzzle quest towards something good is just too much for me ..

i need help .
really do.

i'm aiming at building a TOP DOWN Shooter 2D.

my idea is very simple , good vs bad , some weapons , simple graphics, just keeping it simple for when its done can move to Higher end Mechanics and Graphics ..
but for now , even that simple things about code seem very hard for me to accomplish...

i have a problem with collision.. i try all sorths of way but , nothing is good or perfect ..
some other glitches as well and i'm just at the begging..

i post here my code for it and a Realese in hoping of finding someone who will walk over the code and will help me with it ...

so all i can ask is some little help ...

p.s
when running the program you will have to insert with your keybords the word "one" or "mazeone" for it to load a map i have created using another app ive built named MazeBuilder 2.

ty for your time and i hope that some one will answer and help.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 19:06
You made a thread about getting your character to STRAFE a few days ago and you haven't responded to my post.
I now have worked a solution in 3D and I am about to convert it to 2D for you, but since you haven't replied im not sure whether you still need it.
Let me know if you still need it.
Looking over someones whole project is alot of work, I would need you to get back to me on your last problem before I looked at anything else.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 22:05
matty.

about the Strafe its no where near done..
i found it that first i need collision to work good then arrange better movement for my characters..
so about Strafe , no , its still in the same spot as it has been altough i did changed what you were talking about fixing some lines and some varibles.

i have no good math or programming skills. i think i took a project that is reall big for me.
i try to do my best , but it seems just hard
and about the whole project .. its less then 100 lines its just the start .
i guess i have a lot to learn , any help would be appreciated.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 23:13
Ive answered your strafe thread, let me know if it doesnt work or you dont understand it.
I will look at your project over the weekend, unless someone else does it first, but to be honest im not great at all this myself.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 15:15 Edited at: 24th Jan 2009 15:15
I cant open .rar files and when I looked it op on the web it said I have to buy the software, do you know anywhere I can download for free? (or could you post in different format?)

As far as you project, I havent seen it but I think you might be getting ahead of yourself, I do it all the time, I move on to the next thing in my game knowing that the last thing I did isnt 100% finished.
Dont let it get you down, you are creating a full game and the fact that it is a small simple game doesnt make it that much easier.

Once you have figured out everything (controls, collision etc..) a larger game isnt that much harder because its just alot more of the same stuff.

The way I approach things now is to take one problem and take your time to solve it well, for instance, your character movement, make sure that you have a list of functions which move and animate your character and any character you may use in the future, that way your code is re-usable and you only have to solve it once. Try not to do anything else until this is done.

This alone would be a great achievement, I think you thought it would come together very fast, but that is just not the case.
Look up some simple games people have made on this forum (pac-man clone etc..)
and see how much work it takes and maybe re-think whatever timescale you may have had.

Thats all the advice I can give without seeing your code, sorry if ive waffled on a bit.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 16:38
yeah i guess your right marty
i do get over my self without making stuff 100 percent work.

tommarow morning i'll rebuild my little half game , and i'll make a Menu (menu which i'm good at , button frames mouse collision etc..)
and i'll post the new one tommarow.. making it more understandable
without things i don't need to do right now , and complete the things i have now.

well ty for the pep talk , it somehow helps.
tnx man.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 03:01
Quote: "I cant open .rar files and when I looked it op on the web it said I have to buy the software, do you know anywhere I can download for free?"

Look for a product called IZArc at http://www.izarc.org/. It's free and works with several popular archive formats.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 08:34
good morning all
dear matty i 'm uploading to your requests 2 file one is a Zip format and the other is Exe format with auto repack in case that one doesn't work you'll have another one to look at

if any one else want to help pls

so ive built up a new project with the only neccsery for Loading
a Map file , player movement and collision , i'm stuck with collision , you will see it .

when running the app a black screen will appear , you need to insert with your keyboard One or MazeOne to load a map file.

ty for your time .

Sfx Achive included

Attachments

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 08:35
Zip Achive included

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 14:23 Edited at: 25th Jan 2009 14:37
O.K Ive been looking throgh your code, I noticed the strafe was not working and as I wrote it I had to fix it.
I didnt know dbSprite() only took integers as arguments, this is why strafe is acting weird and it also explains some strange results I used to get when doing 2D stuff.

I think you should scrap the move function and do strafe like this:

Its alot simpler and easy to understand.

Then in your loop you will have:

This is an improvement on what you had, its all I have time for, for now.
I'll try to look at your collision but I have not done much collision stuff myself, It can be very tricky.

Overall though, I like what you have done so far, you will definately make a good game developer.

ps. you were probably going to get around to it anyway but I would have a followCurser() function in my player class for this:

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 17:21
Quote: "I didnt know dbSprite() only took integers as arguments, this is why strafe is acting weird and it also explains some strange results I used to get when doing 2D stuff."

Although dbSprite() requires integer to position the sprite (it has to because it can only be positioned on pixels within the view screen) I've found that externally I frequently have to track it using floats then casting or converting the float to an integer. A trick I learned a long time ago is to round the float up or down.

IntValue = (int) (FloatValue + .5);

in pseudo terminology. If the decimal part of the float is less than .5 then adding .5 doesn't make the total exceed the original integer value. Otherwise, it does.

This also got me to thinking that I need to add float functionality to my Sprite class.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 22:48
Quote: "Look for a product called IZArc at http://www.izarc.org/. It's free and works with several popular archive formats.

"

Thanks for the link, I can now extract .rar files.

As far as dbSprite() goes, I thought it could hold float values and it just drew to the nearest pixel, oh well, I'm sure they have their reasons.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 17:37:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 17:37:38