Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 2D shouldn't be dead, this forum is too quiet.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 16:53
2D is used all the time, even on a 3d project. Why doesn't this forum receive the attention it deserves? It's pretty much a given that today no successful game can be made without good media. I would love to see this board more active, and obviously would be willing to help out to do that (with tutorials and general help).

Just curious to see just how many people feel the same way and also to see how many artists/ up-coming artists are actually present on the forums to see whether or not its worth the effort of trying to bring some life back into this board.

http://dsarchy.deviantart.com/
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 18:59 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 23:13
Yeah, a lot of people are still interested in developing 2D game, but media is a big hurdle for the vast majority though. So it's very difficult for a new programmers to be proud of their first game, when it might just be a box following a square around the screen. So it's easy to see why people often gravitate towards remakes.

There's artwork around (sprite sheets/ tiles etc), but very little that is complete enough to actually help a new programmer, not only get started, but contains enough media they can get a real game up and running. Personally, I often waste a ridiculous amount of time hunting for media that's in the same style. Only to give up and just use anything.

Media is one thing, but it'd also be beneficial if the media came with some type design document. So the design/media issues are out of the equation and all the programmer has to do, is work out how to tie everything together.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 11:33
Agreed. I'm not even sure why this board is so quiet - every game needs 2D artwork of some sort - even if it's just a font.

We are lucky in that the small amount of people who do use this board are very skilled, I think the problem is getting people to bring their 2D work up for critique - that's when this forum would come into it's own I think. I expect that shovels of useful advice would be unloaded in a thread just asking for a little feedback, 2D art people are starved here!.

Know what I mean?, people get the most from a forum when there's something to get their teeth into and can disperse their advice and hopefully help someone improve. Maybe the forum isn't advertised right, like people may not consider that it's for GUI's and text fonts, in fact anything missing a Z axis is welcome here including textures for 3D objects. I would love to see some tutorials or advice on drawing textures in particular styles, or drawing particles, that sort of stuff.

It would be great to see people trying to revive this board though, not that it's going anywhere - but I personally would like to get a lot more use from the 2D section.

Maybe there should be another thread, or even this one, where people could post ideas about what they would ultimately like to see posted here. Most people get put off when it's a week until they get a response, if they know that there will be at least 1 interested party, the skilled artists might be more likely to post tutorials.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 13:19
Quote: "You cannot ignore 2D, but it's all too easy to get stuck with it. This forum is for discussion about any 2D aspect of game creation (sprites, pixelling, platformers, etc)"

That can throw people off too...but I amply agree! This board doesn't get enough recognition. I've always thought of this board as anything 2d, from sketches/doodles to actual game related items.
Oddly enough, I think there are more 2d games out there then 3d being produced...handhelds anyone?

I'd be willing to contribute to the revival, would be good practice. Though it will take more then a few to do so.

Hmm..."2D Board Revival Project"...2BRP...2 burps? Good tacos..hmm... o_o ...
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 18:39 Edited at: 26th Jan 2009 18:39
HIdeas:

Plugins: Link to specifically-helpful-for-2D plugins, like D3D, AdvancedSPRITES, and Aaron Miller's Advanced 2D.

2D Techniques: For example, tiling, sprite pasting, viewports, etc.

Tutorial/Theory Discussion: Platformers, Top-Down Racers, Puzzle games, Retro games, etc.

Sprite/HUD/whatever tutorials.

Sprite/HUD/whatever sharing/critique thread. Debate the hell out of that sprite, something good will come of it. I don't mean to say let's all start acting like dicks, but you know.

2D Competitions: Games, Art, whatever.

Start off with a "whoa cash prize" competition (something in the style of the DBP Christmas challenge a year or so back) and have it plugged in the Newsletter.
Also introduce a new section in the Newsletter about 2D, "From the Board", whatever. Meanwhile, begin a few "main" threads along the lines of those suggested above, and get as much content into the first post as possible.
Round up a bunch of like-minded (like DSArchy, Picone, Deathead, and Mortus to name the most instantly notable, plus other "big names" who you think might want to involve themselves) to see what they come up with in the first few replies, maybe start off some more threads.
Pop "2D OR DEATH" or something in your sig with a link. You're laughing come March.

In other words, one big push may reinvigorate all sorts of interest.

I've no idea how you'd go about most of that, by the way.

D:

Space Game - DarkEye - Concentricious - Probsequest - Puyo
seek out the chalky dust of the love salmon
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 20:24
Playbasic just had a competition not too long ago Sadly I don't think Kevin get's enough recognition.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 20:59
Yea, PlayBasic is pretty swell, its just not whats in demand at the moment.

PGDO. it consumes my every waking moment, that is not already being eaten by work / school / sleeping
DsarchyUK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 22:42 Edited at: 26th Jan 2009 22:44
I have been looking over the last 46 pages of this board, and there is a lot of good stuff here. Quite a few dead links beyond page 20 but anything that has been uploaded to the forum is still here.

However generally posts tend to learn towards showcases or requests for a particular item rather than help creating the item itself (textures, sprites or whatever).

There are loads of tutorials on the web for Photoshop that with minor amendments are perfect for gaming. Be it seamless textures in Gimp or even Digital painting techniques to get your concept art off the ground.

As long as it doesn't conflict with forum rules I would be more than happy to provide links as well as workarounds so you can complete the tutorial with free alternatives such as Gimp/Paintshop Pro/Paint.NET (still have to give this one a try).

http://dsarchy.deviantart.com/
BadMonkey91
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont understand why this forum isn't used alot, other than the fact that DarkBasic makes using 3d much easier and that's the way all the new designers want to go.

I do alot of 2d and let me tell you 2d in darkbasic is still pretty tough!

>.<

Badmonkey91@hotmail.com
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 18:11 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 23:14
You make a good point. Programming 2D games isn't exactly the push over I suspect many people think it is.

For us, education is the primary stumbling block. It's not necessarily about learning some basic programming syntax, rather it's more the conceptual side of what methods are used to create different types of games. If you look through this forum and even ours, you'll see at lot of same style conceptual questions keep popping up.

There was a time when such information was virtually a common shared experience, since everybody had either done it before, or read enough to get the jist of how such things work. Today though, it's like getting blood from a stone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:48:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:48:45