Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dark Trek

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 12:30
Wehey were cookin here!!!

I had a quick dab modellin a pistol yesterday, but gave up because the extrude ruined it and i couldnt really be bothered.

I was thinking while designing the uniform, everybody as well as the DB badge on their chest could have a flag on their arm for the country they come from. If the media for the model is released in another beta then i can mess with the texture and convert it to my uniform design.

"It's amazin' what you can do with a computer and access to t'internet"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 12:46
Well, I reckon each character should have a setup file telling it which skins and models to use - so you could specify a different head model and face texture, and a different body texture too.

As for modelling - we will need a little transporter device thingy, like the little flip up things in the old Star Trek series. We have to be able to transport about the place, even if it was at a random location. So if your in trouble you can transport somewhere else, but maybe make it so you have to keep still while transporting otherwise you die .

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 14:17
Yep sure that sound good. The setup file with all player info - i suggested that a while ago on the previous page i think. I thought it would be a good idea and it would be easier to manage, and each player could be responsible for the way they looked. I think every player should have a body model, head model, body texture, head texture and an array or data file which contains info like their different skill points and what their position is.

I also devised a new colouring system(these are the tunic colours):

Red-command(sitting in a nice big chair telling people to go to warp 9)
Blue-security(shooting stuff, tactics, protection etc)
Green-medical(healing wounded)
Yellow-engineering(repairs, unlocking doors etc)
White-scientists(upgrading weapons,items etc)

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 15:03
i dont think we should have a unique model for everyone, cause that would cause a bit of slowdown and a lot of work to make. say we have like 7 different head models, and one body & legs model for each species and gender, adn that model is customizeable by scalling, so you can strecth or shrink it. that's a better idea cause it makes for low game size when we are distributing it, and means you dont haev to download a custom model, but then again i guess if we make them all low poly we could work it in, but just to save disk space and workload for makign the game i suggest we have race/gender body models that can be scaled. and van b im at my gf's house atm so i cant check out the demo you emailed, i treid downloading a demo of db to her computer but when i ran it it said no such file, so i deleted my part of teh model code and then ran it again and said object doesnt exist and went to the 300+n line somewhere, i will test it when i get home to make sure i didnt just delete sumthing i shouldnt have. and when i make it work i will post up a zip on my site so people can dl and try it. oh i looke datthe textures and good work the uniform looks good, but is that really a cartoon version of your face? cause it looks familiar.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 16:29
hah just got home and played the files van, very nice looking model, a bit cartoonish but still i think its pretty cool, the animations played fine on my comp but camera movement was sluggish when looking at them.I lowered it to five and seemed the same. anyway i will have shots and a download up in the next few days, i have to go interstate for a funeral soon so i will be away for the next two days. but please keep up the work guys, put together whatever you can moonshine whatever aspect of game creation it be. hope to see some more of this amazing stuff when i get back

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 17:15
I'll probably make a better model for DBPro, so don't worry about the mutilated Marvin T Martian model there. I've been practising character modelling, mainly womens legs but I should be able to make a better mesh animated model for the bodies. Also modifying it for Klingons is not a problem. The weird speed up slow down problem is because I set the sync rate to 0, set it to 30 or something and it should be ok.

What I might do is look into using a pre-built .X level because it'd be a nightmare trying to make levels with code like that, single file .X levels are a great way for everyone who wants to contribute because they can simply make the model in their modeller or carto shop.

If anyone can make a Star Trek style .X level, please upload it!

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 17:34
heh yeah cool, well i'll start making one in milkshape, and see how that goes, whats the poly count u reckpon for a level model?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 17:37
I reckon about 4,000 polys or less is a good count, simple levels might get by with only 1000 polys though.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 17:57
cool, well im extending the hallway, making a few t intersections and one big loop, kinda like the elite forces 2 levels on the enterprise. startin to look nice. btu i wont have em done till i get back. well im goin to ebd now, see ya's in a few days

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2003 16:21
well turns out im not going interstate, so i been home today but my computer kept saying nt authorize/security has closed windows must restart in 1 minute. so i went to game workshop with my girlfriend for the day and now im back and it works, but tomorrow i will be gone in the morning, btu all the rest of the day i will work on some city models and tonight i will work on finishing the enterprise level.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 12:30
Rob x - BEWARE - THAT NT ERROR IS A VIRUS!!!!

2 PEOPLE I KNOW HAVE GOT IT ALREADY!!!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 13:50
yeah i got it and removed it, i didnt loose anything

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 21:06
hey! This project seems to be coming along very nicly do you think I could do a news story on this game on my site? pleasee?
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 13:44
i dunno, I'd have to think about it....hmmm, sure just make sure you mention its a community project so everyone can get in on it.

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:41
wohoo! so...are u the leader? Take me to your leader!
lol seriously who is in charge of this game?

Comin' soon: www.megatoncreations.tk
Now all I need is an actual game!
Also: Reviewing the games no one else bothered to.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 15:14
well no leader as such cause i want it to be open to teh db comunity, but so far i've taken a more commanding role

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2003 18:18
We need this to be MMO so the community that makes it can play it...ok that may be way to much for DBC...or is it...i am the mad MMO DB coder...muhahahahaha...my servers are yours commander RobX of the NC1201-A Dark Basic...or sumthin...

Visual Programming Studio ORANGE
Replacement IDE for Dark Basic Professional...
(Will Be Availeable When This is Removed)
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 04:58
make it so ensign gordo.

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2003 20:26
Whoa, nice project, mind if i post some info about it on my site?
(remembering to mention it is a community proj)

Martin

http://www.jaxteam.co.uk - under construction
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2003 21:01
Looks very good being an avid trekkie I'm looking forward to this

Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
Bus station = where bus stops. Train station = where train stops. Workstation = ?
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 19:20
Heya guys, this sounds like a very interesting project.
I can help with small code snippets and things of the sort, maybe some non-animated 3d models, but not anything that will take too awful long....

I'm working on Dark Realm 3rd release and am trying to focus on it, but I wouldnt mind contributing to this massive project.

Darin Snow
Xeridox Entertainment Group
Please visit our website for regular updates!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 11:56
@ martin : go ahead dude
@david 89 thanks for the support, dont be afraid to add your own stuff to it if you want.
@xeridox : sure send us whatever you can.

good to see that dark trek hasnt been forgotten

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:33:33
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:33:33