Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Anti Hacker's Union - Indie Protection Society

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 16:46 Edited at: 7th Feb 2009 23:11
Hey, guys just want to tell you all about the new community I am creating. "Indie Security Union" is an Ethical Game Hacking community where We will try to help protect indie gamers from piracy, stealing of textures, models, etc. Here is the link http://www.indiesecurity.info

Hope you come and join,

Indy Dude
Mr Modeler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 16:58
first of all, its a good idea
But, the name may put off indie game makers as the name 'hackers union' sounds like you hack and steal models, textures etc....
Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe "Ethical Hacker's Union" You are right though.
Mr Modeler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 17:06
yeah, it sounds better, and proboubly wont put indie games designers, aswell as modellers off going to the site
Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 17:08 Edited at: 27th Jan 2009 17:11
i'll just leave the url link though. I'll change everything else though. editing first post. Can mod edit title to Ethical Hacker's Union. If you could that would be of much help
JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 18:48
I'd like to see this take off. Maybe I'll get someone to try my security methods?

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 18:59
Does sound a bit dodgy. Perhaps not use the work 'hacker' as that conjures up people hacking into programs and stealing stuff. Perhaps something along the lines of "Software Protection Society" might not scare people off.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 20:23 Edited at: 27th Jan 2009 20:26
Quote: "where We will try to help protect indie gamers from piracy, stealing of textures, models, etc."

Why not have anti-piracy in the name since that is what you want to do?

Quote: "Perhaps not use the work 'hacker' as that conjures up people hacking into programs and stealing stuff. "

While imagining the voice of Butthead..."uh huh huh huh uh, he said conjures"

Now Beavis..."that would be a cracker not a hacker landlubbers"

Quote: "Perhaps something along the lines of "Software Protection Society" might not scare people off."

Yeah, that sounds good too.

Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
How bout "Indie Protection Society" I agree with you guys I am running more off then in I bet.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 22:18
The only thing we need to focus on protecting right now is FPSC X9 and X10.

I call upon all forum members to seek out and report illegal hosting of FPSC.

We have to protect our engine more than the individual games themselves. I've already asked Lee NOT to provide an electronic download for X10 and to think about online validation requirements for all updates.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 22:24
There's no stopping the unstoppable. You can find them, but you can't halt them.

Kola
Semi-covert ops in north Russia
TBA 2009
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 22:34
Guys, stop, there's already a thread about this elsewhere. Keep this on topic or it'll most likely get locked.

The one and only,

bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 00:02 Edited at: 28th Jan 2009 00:13
One thing we have to watch out for is P2P sites and other sharing methods, if the serial key/activation isn't good enough people could just use the same serial key over and over again. I lent one of my friends a game, i was playing it at the time on my computer and i just gave it to him to install and try out because he played it on my PC and enjoyed it. He could install the game and still play it without anything giving him warnings. If i wanted to i could have just stuck the game somewhere for people to download and given people my installation key and voila loads of people could have played the game. (i am not sure about the multiplayer side of it though).

I can honestly say i never thought about it as anything else but 'lending a mate one of my games to play' but i suppose you could class this as a way of "illegally" distributing the game?

BJKDAW
Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Well guys you got to start somewhere. That is what I am hoping to acheive is help indie game, programs and things. I hope to bring a community together to fight piracy and etc.

p.s. Try not to go off topic don't really want this locked.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Indy, I deeply resent the idea of having this thing (helpful) posted on a free bulletin board, so I am extending an invitation to host on E.G. Interactive's dedicated server.

I hate the idea of non-useful ads on it, as if there are going to be ads YOU should be profiting for them.

Why am I offering hosting as competition prizes and such? Well, I figured I never really had anything to offer to this community, and being that I am a website kind of person, I feel all should be able to have a decent site. You can get a free .co.cc domain, or a sub-domain, the choice is yours. Either way you will have unrestricted access to the FTP / MySQL administration panels, any forum software you wish (free forum software, Vbulletin and IPB are not allowed without a valid license). Also, PHPbb is one of the most security bug ridden forum software releases on the web, I strongly recommend SMF. You would have full forum control (forum admin), even more than a free forum offers you (can install plugins you like). Either way, the offer is on the table, I'm not asking one penny, as my resources are limitless.

I've always liked the idea of ethical hacking, and I personally make trainers for games and such, while following the hacker ethic (if you do not know what this is, it generally means that you do no damage or harm). I like the idea of this, and think it would be good for us to learn about programming in itself (a great art), and protection, one of the most heavily debated issues on these boards.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Crispex, first of all I would like to say thank you. Second of all I don't really know what to say. I would love to use E.G.'s interactive server. Should I email you? and is there anything u need at all. I can't thank you enough.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem man. If you have an MSN we could talk by there, or just email me at: eriktherandom@gmail.com

Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
I sent you an e-mail and I will talk to u on msn. what is it. mine is IndyDude@live.com
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 04:43 Edited at: 1st Feb 2009 04:44
Alright guys, the site can now be found at: http://indiesecurity.info. Please do not ask to be a moderator or admin as they have already been picked. The site is closed until tomorrow as we are setting up the permissions and boards.

Best.

Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
edited first post
Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright guys we are all good to go we got new gui. We need you guys to sign up. You can come and help with security or just come and hang out. Come on over.
Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright close to first release. I need some people to test it out. Just go to the site and p.m. me.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
You might want to post the right link.

You have: indiesecurity.com, it's really indiesecurity.info

Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
edited first post. sorry for wrong link guys.
Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, I have opened Mod applications if you would like to be a mod. E-maile me at: IndyDude@live.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 01:22:00
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 01:22:00