Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Open source with commercial license?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 22:27
As my title suggests, if I purchase the commercial license, can I get into the source?

I want to be able to change some subtle things such as the window resizing on start up (VERY annoying).

I am working on a 2D Side Scrolling MMORPG, the journey is being blogged and I suggest you check it out. Will include all progress, road blocks even drama! http://exoengine.com/blog/
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 19:35
No. At least I don't think so.
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 21:34 Edited at: 28th Jan 2009 21:36
Thats what i was hoping to but you cant

Quote: "
> If i buy DarkGDK commercial license can I see the source code for it?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Hi Alex,

No, you just get the right to sell what you make with it. The GDK is supplied in library format.

Rick
"

Quote: "
Hi Alex,

The following is a reply to your enquiry:

> Is there any chance I could get the source code?

None at all sorry. We don't provide the source code.
"

Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 01:52
I think that if you have a serious issue with that, it's less work and to make your own DirectX wrapper. Then you can do whatever you want with it. Like making flying butt-monkeys appear every five seconds.
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 21:29
Don't need source for butt-monkeys. I'm sure I can remember doing that with GDK.
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 23:08
Well, what if you want to annoy people that use your game engine for free, then take it out in the paid version?
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2009 17:43
Why would you pay to have to code butt-monkeys for yourself?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 02:00
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 02:17
I guess you got me there. I wouldn't pay just to code butt-monkeys myself... but what if they're the wrong color?
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 02:30 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 02:31

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 02:36
Um... Just go grab some directX tutorials and the DirectX SDK - it's not THAT bad... the pain is transforms in my opinion - but they get easier....

Oh - and I personally like the RAW DirectX not that silly layer Microsoft tossed on it and then proceeded to only show tutorials in - DXUT - that is LAME so LAME - you give up so much - and they stopped making samples using the raw lib... ugh...

Asking TGC for their source after they said no and trying to make some sort of "protest" won't accomplish anything - that's bread and butter you're asking for...

Ugh...

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 11:36
Well.. I bought Windows and then I want the source code for it... I bought Visual Studio and I want the source code for it..

If I buy a car is it my right to have the blueprint to it?

Get real....

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
stevebrit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 18:11
Hi folks well i got a few laughs out of the earlier post on this topic lol. It would be nice to be able to get the source code.
I know this is possible on other ummm available products.
Thinking here that having access to the source code will eventually
be the way of things. I say this because i want darkGDK to really succeed and see that some other rival products do have that source code availability. I would love to have a version of darkGDK that was NOT dependant on directx9 dll etc. I love darkGDK but that issue over the dependancy on having those needed files with the game or whatever, makes me think twice about buying a license should the need arise. However i really do love darkGDK and shall continue using it.

Regards :- Steve

AMD Athlon64x2 3.1Ghz - Ram 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz - 500Gb HD
Ndivia 9600GT SLI - 24in LCD - WIN 7 - 64 bit BETA
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 21:32 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 21:32
I agree. If we could have access to the source code it would have allot more potential to succeed. You can get the irrlitch source code completely free. Anyway I wouldn't mind paying for the source code of GDK, even for more than the current price

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 04:02
Quote: "You can get the irrlitch source code completely free. "

That's because Irrlicht is open source. DGDK is not.

stevebrit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 05:21
AlexI like yourself i would pay for the source code for darkGDK i am not expecting something for nothing. There are a few issues with darkgdk for me. It is quite nice to use once you get the handle on the routines etc. It's dependancy on a specific version of directx causes me some concern regarding potentially making software products that could sell out there in the marketplace.
Would be real nice to just have the compiled program plus encoded graphics etc and not have to rummage around for that darn directx dll file etc. As i basically said before i really think that darkGDK is a good product, and i want to see it succeed along side the growing array of other such software, that can be used to make games etc. I would prefer to stay with darkGDK and pay for the source code than have to migrate to other ways of doing what i have planned to do using darkGDK. Well i think i have said enough....

Regards to all :- Steve

AMD Athlon64x2 3.1Ghz - Ram 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz - 500Gb HD
Ndivia 9600GT SLI - 24in LCD - WIN 7 - 64 bit BETA

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 17:31:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 17:31:41