Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 3D racing game level creation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I want to make a 3D racing game with walls you can crash into, different terrains that you can drive on (for example, dirt that would slow you down on the side of the road), and various elevations throughout the level. What would be the best way to approach this? Should I use a height map, and if so, how can I use different textures for various areas? Or should I just go with making a full 3D model and somehow hard code what elevation each area is and which areas are off road? Or is there some different approach I haven't though of? Thanks.
scott1686
Years of Service
User Offline
I came up with a solution that's basically a hack, but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas than what I've done. Basically, I used 2 terrains, one as the offroad area and one is the road which is just a trace of the path of the offroad. The road is below the offroad area and only the actual part you drive on is raised up enough to see through the offroad area. I then check every frame if the height of your location on the road is greater than a certain value, and if so you're on the road, and if not you're offroad. Is there a better way to approach this?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 17:25:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 17:25:22