Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Problem Compiling Programs Using DarkGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 23:20 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 01:11
For some reason, whenever I try to compile a program that uses the DarkGDK, it never compiles correctly. The only things that compile right are the templates. Even the Tutorials don't compile right!

I don't know exactly WHERE the errors are, since VC++ isn't showing the errors. I used to get a window saying that there were problems during compiling, but I didn't see a list of the problems. So I just checked "Don't show this message again", since it didn't do me any good. Unfortunately, I either have the settings for compiling to overlook errored lines of code, or VC++ just REALLY sucks when it comes to giving Syntax errors (Or any other kind of error).

The compiling works, for the most part, but when I run the programs I just get an error message saying nothing but "6", and then the program crashes. I've tried compiling other programs (I whipped up a simple "Hello world!" program, and created a practice database), and they worked fine.

The only thing I could think of that might have caused this is that I didn't run the compiler for the first time in VC++ before installing DarkGDK (atleast, I don't think so), but I don't think that's the problem since I can run the programs using the 'Debug' method.

What does the variable 'c' represent in the equation 'E = MC^2'? Get it right, and I'll give you a cyber cookie.
Quaddle
Years of Service
User Offline
DGZ,
Did u move the solution files of the tutorials to a different folder? I'd make sure all the images for the terrain, models, textures etc. are present in the same folder as your solution file.
I had the same problem before when trying to run my .exe file without the images, all it came up with was an error saying "6".
Hope that helps

Quad
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 01:50 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 01:50
Um... WTH?
LOL - When I got here the post was empty - I posted to see what would happen - and sure enough - I look like I made the first post in it LOL

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 02:11 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 02:11
That happens when people are on post approval and they edit their post

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 02:37
(Thanx - it was funny - now I know what happened )

DGZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Since it'll be a while before my edit get's approved, I might as well post so I don't have to edit that yet AGAIN.

After I ran my program under Dev-C++, I found that the debugger had stumbled upon... quite a few errors (those who have seen my post in the thread about using DGDK in Dev (If it's been approved yet) will already know this). I don't think that it's the compiler, but DarkGDK, in that it is filled with errors, along with the DirectX library that it uses.

Of course, it might just be that compiler for Dev-C++ is a bit too strict, but the possibility that my version of DarkGDK is too bugged to run properly is still something to think about. It might have been that I installed an obsolete version, or something might've gone wrong during installation. Is there any way to uninstall DarkGDK, so I can install it again? Or do I just delete the folders?

What does the variable 'c' represent in the equation 'E = MC^2'? Get it right, and I'll give you a cyber cookie.
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 15:29
In reference to your signature it represents the speed of light, at 300,000,000m/s.
To remove, go to control panel->add or remove programs. Dark GDK should be there. I also have one called "Game Creators Dark GDK". remove that too.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 18:20
Frankly, I'd suspect this Dev C++ to be an effort of futility because the LIB's were created with vs2008 (Express but likely Pro). Microsoft,to my knowledge, uses their own proprietary lib file format that DEV C++ is unlikely to recognize.

--Jason

DGZ
Years of Service
User Offline
But still, what other reason could there be for the build always failing?

DGZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, so I've re-installed DarkGDK, and... I'm still getting a compiler error. I guess it must be something with my code (and the samples) that are causing this to bug up. Here's what I'm using:

And yes, this IS just the Terrain tutorial that has been minorly edited to add some cheap form of physics. The physics work though, so no complaints about that.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 22:23
You haven't posted error logs... but I won't be investigating this one friend...

Orac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 09:34 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 09:43
DGZ,

Can you post your errors? Are they compile errors, or run-time errors?

EDIT: I copied and pasted your code into the terrain example and it compiles and runs perfectly.

Of all the things I've lost .. I miss my marbles most of all.
DGZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 20:42 Edited at: 4th Feb 2009 23:29
I finally found the Build output (It was in the only place I didn't look... >.<, and saw that there were errors with ALL DarkGDK functions, and the errors for all of them was the same- "Identifier not found".

Here's the entire error list:

DGZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Can ANYONE help?
Kilrath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 17:20
sounds like a change to MS VC++ Express 2008 is in order. Perhaps Dev C++ cant read the Libs......

Saving the world, one bit at a time.... Wait it's not worth saving. Get your own bits!
andiconda
Years of Service
User Offline
what compiler are you using
this only works on visual2008express
it doesn't even work on visual2008 pro

only express

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 17:41:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 17:41:30