Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Depth of Field in FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 01:28
Ok, I don't know whether this works fully, but if you have an ATI card, go into the Catalyst Control Center, under 3D, there is a setting for Anisotropic Filtering, set it to Application Settings, and High Quality...

Now, make a long corridor in FPSC, stand at one end and look at the other, if you did it right, you'll see that the other end is blurred, as you move towards it, it comes into focus....

Thought it'd be good to point that out...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
but thats not DoF, thats just AF!

because you have set it to Application Settings there is no AF in FPSC (because it doesn`t activate it) and because of that the textures in the distance are blurred...

... efxMod Developer!
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 04:01 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 04:24
If you DID want depth of field though...nah I'm not gonna tell ya. Haha, my little secret. You'll see it in a few days

EDIT:
FAILED.

Click above to sign up for the Axifer Designs Dev-Team!
dumpus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 04:15
You can always fake it. Have some segments in the distance that the player can't get to, and make the textures blurry. Of course, having an actual DOF effect would be much easier...

Can't wait to see what you did, AaronG.

*This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.*
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 04:24
Ya know what, my idea was to have an image overlay that somehow distorted the edges of the screen, kind of like how Farcry 2 did it, but I just can't figure it out

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 04:28
Let me try it.

Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 04:29
You could make some mipmaps that simulate blurriness... Although you wouldn't get the outer blur you get with the shader.

- You know you're curious
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 04:31
Mipmaps? Do explain.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 04:58 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 05:03
No, I tried... but it looks stupid. It just looks like white around the screen. You can't really make it look blurry because everything will still look normal. The screen will just look weird.

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 05:10
what are the alignments you used?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 09:11
Odd, it looked a lot like DoF to me...

I guess it's more of a hack/cheat than anything else then...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 02:22
I just made a hud and put it at x=50 and y=50 if thats what you mean.

Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 02:47
Mipmaps (if that's the correct term) is size compression on a texture rendered in the engine based on how far away the camera is from the source.

For example: If the player is standing in front of a wall with a 2048x2048 texture and walks away 3 segments, the texture will change resolution automatically (to reduce lag and for visual effects) based on the mipmaps you add. So at a distance, the texture may seem a 512x512 or 256x256 or if you're really far, 64x64.

FPSC already renders mipmaps, I'm just suggesting you change the quality/blur.

- You know you're curious
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 06:30
I thought DoF was the effect of the camera "focusing" on the distance of the object (or whatever) the camera is looking at, making objects closer than that AND further than that look blurry.

The one and only,

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 06:37
Ply is right. Depth of field focuses on the object that is in the middle of the screen in this case, everything else is a blur.
Like so...

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dumpus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 02:41
Yeah...it sure would be nice to even blur things in the distance a bit. Fog doesn't quite do the trick, and I doubt an overlay would do anything either. Only option I can see is a manual change in your graphics card's control center, or a source mod.

*This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.*
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 05:33
Farcry 2 had an overlay. It seemed it was a sort of a box, that only worked on objects on each corner of your screen. It was simulated somehow.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 12:38
If you could attach an object to the camera, you could apply a blurring shader to it... but this would not be even close to DoF.

Source Mod would be the simplest and easiest solution.

The one and only,

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 14:26
Grunt, Im suprised you failed... It's not DoF its AF. lololol

"Your greatest teacher is your harshest critic"-'Butterfingers'
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 20:24
Yeh, I know...

I was saying that it seemed to give a distancing effect, that's all...

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 21:08 Edited at: 6th Feb 2009 21:09
Ladies and Gentleman, COZ Shows you His DOF Working in FPSC. I have had this for quite a while, but I didnt Want to make a huge fuss about it for fear of being raped by N00bs with such comments as "Can I plz have your DOF Shader1111!" I looked at this thread for a while thinking 'Should I tell them?..Or shouldnt I?'. But here it is:
This DOF Works by when your holding a dynamic object and moving it in front of your eyes etc, or just holding it, you will get Fully functional DOF With blurring.
I would Like to say that I have now made FPSC History on the 6th of Febuary 2009!

I rest my Case..

CoZ

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 21:15
OMFG!! Can I plz have your DOF Shader1111!

Lol, just joking, looks very good, curse you and your dedicated shader programmer!

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
well it looks good but i think i believe this if i see it in action ^^

i also know how to get DoF in FPSC, but its not as easy as it seems

... efxMod Developer!
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 00:59
Wow, that's impressive. You should get it working with static objects somehow...Or if you could set a crate or something dynamic on the ground and when you crouch behind it there's DOF...just an idea.

Looks great though.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 01:01
I'm assuming he only had it working for picked up objects because the distance to focus on those is somewhat fixated, and you can track when the player picks something up (to a degree).

The one and only,

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 01:17
Quote: "I thought DoF was the effect of the camera "focusing" on the distance of the object (or whatever) the camera is looking at, making objects closer than that AND further than that look blurry."

...you're correct, Plystire.

In camera terms, depth of field is the area of exceptable sharpness, when a camera lense is focused on on a specific plane. This can be either shallow, or deep.

A large aperature setting will yield a very shallow depth of field, and the foreground and background will become blurred. Only the focal plane will remain sharp. This is considered to be a shallow depth of field, and is illustrated by the example that's been posted here.

In contrast, a very small aperature setting will allow both foreground and background to retain reasonable clarity, in proximity to the focal plane. This is considered to be a deep depth of field, and is illustrated by a stock FPSC screen.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 01:19:06
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 01:19:06