Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / UpdateIt - Game Updater Tool FREE!!! - limited time only

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 13:09 Edited at: 6th Feb 2009 23:34
I have made a program that allows you to make an updated for your game, however we have been having some problems with avast antivirus declaring a false positive, I will resolve this and then post a link again.

Screenie:

FireBASIC - The Heart of Great Programming - http://firebasic.ablazegaming.co.uk
Dude232
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks... this will help alot of people

Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
wow..Wizzkid this will come in handy! thanks for the share.

Cheers,
Tanya.
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 17:18
No problem, hope it helps!

FireBASIC - The Heart of Great Programming - http://firebasic.ablazegaming.co.uk
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 17:32
Urm...I wouldn't download It if I where you. Tested with several different antivirus programs, I recieved this message upon opening the file:

@MODS: You may want to remove this Download until a clean version is reuploaded/created

CoZ

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 18:06
The majority of warnings Avast gives about .exe files are actually false alarms. I once got one with EFX, it's just the way the files are packaged.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce the combined size to 600x120 maximum size
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 18:29
I can guarentee this is not a virus or a trojan horse or anything harmful! The installer was created using Bytessence InstallMaker and the application itself with AutoIt. I have scanned it myself using norton 360 and it stated that it was clean. I will try to report a false positive because this is not encouraging people to use this application, which was only meant to be helpful to FPSC game designers.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 18:34
Here is a version of the program, not with an installer (which seems to be causing the false positive). It will mean there are no file associations with the wizard but you still can use the program!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 19:09
Actually, if a mod wants me to i would be happy to send them the source code of all the EXE files so they can justify that this is safe. I dont really want to share it here because i was planning on making this commercial, but now that this has come to my attention i think i will switch installer makers.

pdidy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 19:28 Edited at: 6th Feb 2009 19:37
norton does not see it as a trojan ?
latest version and full update,
avast is not the ideal virus program to use.
perhaps it is already resident on your pc ?.
most free antivirus programs will give you false
positives , for the obviouse reason?
buy a licence?.
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 19:47
@pdidy: Avast has been voted several times by various sources ("Which?" Magazine being one of them) the best free anti-virus available..even beating most commmercial anti-virus's. I Went with avast after my re-install of windows, and not my paid for "AVG 8" due to AVG consumes a copious amount of system recources.

CoZ

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 23:27
The program itself certainly isn't a virus, I have the latest norton and latest updates, I test all my programs to make sure they are safe before I distribute them, norton maybe isn't picking it up because it is not a trojan.

I have been Reading up on why it may be suggesting it is a virus, it could be what aagreen is suggesting about the installer which it seems to be suggesting because of its compacting method or, a problem other programmers who use autoit have had problems with false positives is because autoit compresses EXEs using UPX compression which apparently some virus makers use to make the virus files smaller and it could be comparing this with infected files using similar compression, these are the only things I can think of that is causing it to be suggesting it is infected. This is annoying, I was just trying to make a program to aid the often difficult task of updating your game.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
@CoZ

Many times Avast has been EXTREMELY wrong. It thought one of my programs that simply contained a message box (made in Visual Basic), was a Virus. AVG, McAfee, and Windows Defender declare this is indeed a clean application.

Many times files that modify other files (such as update patches for various software) are found to be trojans. This has been a common issue since the start of anti-virus software.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 02:36 Edited at: 7th Feb 2009 02:45
Avast fails Virus Bulletin.com (VB100) testing labs just about every year because of false positives, that's why you won't see a VB100 testing labs seal of approval on Avast’s website or retail box.

EDIT: I just seen that Avast is still displaying the VB100 logo on their website even though they failed the VB100 test this year, I guess they think because the received VB100's seal of approval once they can display it even if they fail now?
cram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 03:14
Nod32 no problemo
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I had a trojan slip past Nod32 before. My personal favorite anti-virus is AVG. I know it has a few upgrade issues here and there, but other than that it's currently one of the best on the market.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 09:18
everybody has his own favorite antivirus program,but avast is definately not,so the magazine coz has been talking about must be very dumb or something,im a regular buyer of a pc magazine here,not once i saw it in the free antivirus list beacause it isnt good enough

A.K.A. djmaster
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 13:15
Well this program isn't a virus, I would never make and distribute a virus, but before I release it again I would like to get this cleared up with avast before I release this again, because it isn't encoraging people to use this. You can download the files with no installer, in a post above since it seems to be the installer causing this false alert.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 14:23
Hope you realise it was nothing personal Wizzkid, there have been a few uploads with virus' in them so we have to be careful.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 14:41
Oh i know, I fully understand, I am cautious downloading things aswell.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 01:12:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 01:12:39