Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDk vs Dark GDK.Net --- Proes and Cons of Each

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What does everyone think is he pros and cons of both Dark GDK and Dark GDK.Net?

Thanks
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 06:07
The benefit of each is just with what language environment you want to program in. If you like C++, then Dark GDK is the way to go. If you're a fan of Visual Basic.Net or C#, then you can use the Dark GDK.Net.

Both are fine options, and it just comes down to which environment you are productive in. There could be arguments about which compiler is faster, but that is really again up to how the programmer uses his tools.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
for games C++ and DarkGDK

for applications C# NET and GDK.NET are "easier"
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 00:00
Like MikeS said there aren't really any pros or cons--it just boils down to which you prefer. The speed advantage of C++ over C# is so small that you can ignore it for the most part.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah its something like 7% last time I checked.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 20:44
then there is that little bit about the .net though that its easy as pie to reverse engineer... REMEMBER to Obfusciate when you release something .NET!

--Jason

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 22:31
Obfuscate? I'm confused!

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 00:04
LOL - Are you confused or making fun of my spelling LOL

Um... Yeah - it's no secret that compiled ".Net" applications are not compiled to binary assembly instructions. As far as I've cared to investigate - The .Net Languages all get "compiled" to the CLR (Common Language RunTime) which is very easy to reverse engineer - extremely easy - like - unzipping a file. Therefore - THAT makes me bring up the point to OBFUSCATE Neglecting to do so is like handing over the keys to your house to every person who gets a copy of your program.

NOW - I do not know if .Net created DLL's are as easy to rip apart - but I don't care... from the standpoint that when I have something .Net ready to sell - I'll investigate further before I release anything.

The CLR language is compiled at runtime - .Net is a JIT Language - "Compiled Just in Time" - Which I'm not a big fan of. I have been told however that this only happens the first time you run the application - and not each subsequent run - but I can not confirm or deny any of that.

My next question is what do you do then? The Answer is Obfuscate - (Or Scramble your code so its as difficult as possible to read)

There are programs out there that do this and ways you can do this yourself without changing WHAT the code does - your results may vary.

Parsing and obfuscating source code is not trivial, so I'd personally expect problems to arise on occasion from homebuilt and less so, from commercial products that do this.

I USED TO BE REALLY opposed to all of this - and still have my reservations - but I've been assured that Obfuscating code helps with sealing your work up reasonably, that .Net is pretty fast (not 100% sold on this ), and that .Net does not necessarily lock you into Microsoft and .Net is very Portable.

I use .Net ALOT... And it does make many things really easy - so from that standpoint it's sweet.

So far - I don't see why .Net is/was even needed - the reasons I think up are for Virtual Machines (not chipset reliant reasons) and things - which makes me think of Java. I think VB 6.0 Enterprise is the best software along with Excel2002 and Microsoft Access2002 of all time (Easy to find things in the help - easy to use - and intellisense - what else do you need LOL)

For DarkGDK Gaming - Your using DirectX so you're already playing on Microsoft. The Speed? C# Slightly Slower? We know that - but - Ease of use - what you like - etc. All play a part in one's decision on which is "better".

Has anyone ever told you folks I like to ramble? I don't mean to - I just start typing... and... ok I'll stop...

Jason P Sage

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
obfuscation? code reverse engineer? jit compilation?

another reason not to use .net
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2009 13:08
Or you could just encrypt the final executable, and make a small C++ program which loads it into memory, decrypts it, and runs it. (Quite easy if you use CLR, and only use raw C++ for the actual decryption.

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2009 14:58
In my opinion, though I've never used the GDK.NET specificially, is that everything has its specific purpose. For online application, such as for ASP, SQL and similar, .NET is extremely useful. As a language, C# puts a lot of power at the fingertips of anyone that can read. It's a very easily understood language and making stuff is really fast.

A friend of mine prefers to write tools and applications in C#, but remains with his feet firm in C++ for writing anything relating to the game engine itself. Of course, he's nuts enough to write his own engine, which means he's also quite good at what he's doing.

So, either you're not that familiar with programming and like to have the strengths of C#'s usability (such as an integrated String class...) or you want to tap into the greater potential of C++, because you already trust your hand at programming.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2009 16:09
Quote: "obfuscation? code reverse engineer? jit compilation?

another reason not to use .net"

With regards to DGDK, however, I'd still want to take a look at it since the OOPness of it allows me to extend sprites into buttons and other less common classes. At the moment, when I actually have a moment, I'm using classes that wrap the 2D functions of DGDK under c++, which is fine with me, albeit not as professional as I'd like.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 17:33:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 17:33:38