Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Cheat engine speedhack.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have made it so "unrandomizer" fails and in my MP, it messes it up on purpose (it stops all movement, shooting, etc. and puts you on a neutral team so everyone can kill you and displays a message lol), but how would I combat speedhack?
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 15:49
... WTF are u trying to do?

Dont get this. Are ur hacking ur own game?

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
I am trying to stop people speedhacking my game, not trying to hack it
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 16:30
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedhack#Known_types_of_exploits_in_MMORPG:

Quote: "Speed Hacking/Teleporting/Subterrain Travel - If character position in an MMORPG is determined by the client side (usually not the case), it is possible for players to send out artificial positional data and be instantly transported to any part of the world or used to speed up traveling speed by increasing positional deltas."

So it's only a problem if you don't design it properly in the first place.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 16:34 Edited at: 7th Feb 2009 16:40
Another question, is there a function to draw text last? so it appears above sprites. dbdrawspritesfirst() make the 3d objects go above the sprites, and text is also, but the sprites disappear.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 04:33
I think its cool that you were "hacking your own game" - its called testing

--Jason

andiconda
Years of Service
User Offline
if you are using object oriented
make your speed variable private

make user's download a file with all the params in it
when they connect to a server
initialize them
delete file
do not allow code to be entered in game
or make an admin logon system
honestly if its open source
its gonna be hard, cuz people can see your code and find the loopholes
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 01:01
andiconda ur wrong.

Make the server handle things like the clients speed, what gear he got, how much points etc. The client should only get data from the server(or send requestes) and then do something on the screen acording to what it recived from the server.

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
How would I work out the position they should be in?
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 13:56 Edited at: 16th Feb 2009 13:57
Send all user input to the server e.g move forward. The server then sends back the clients position. The client cannot speed hack it has no control over position just moving.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
ok ill do that when I have some free time. thanks
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 23:18
but remember the server dont need to visualize the players.
Just a simple console.

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 09:38
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 09:58
Just make sure you use some client-side input prediction unless you want terrible gameplay for anyone above ~50ping.

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 10:15
Hope this randomness helps you .

The solution I had for this problem was to let the client update the positions and do a server CHECK, is it possible for them to have gone x amount of distance from their old position in that time frame.

Pythagurus theorm .

If it's a shooting up e.g. they're in a vehical / crouching, the server will recieve this data and thus judge accordingly using the new max speed variables etc...

The other problem that can arrise from this is the client sending false data that the play is inside of a vehical when they're not really, BUT if you've codded the game properlly you can let the server enter the player in and out of the vehical. and move accordingly.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes that sounds more plausable to do. Couldn't I also encrypt the data sent and recieved so players can't sniff them and edit them?
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 10:29 Edited at: 17th Feb 2009 10:30
True, if you use mike net you can encrypt packets

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 10:39
Awh man, i know rightly one of the projects i'm working on now, i took a short cut and made a GIANT security breach. BUT i know i'll have to go back and fix it, then add encryption to the variables i send. Personally speaking though it kind of annoys me the fact i have to do all this extra work just because people want to hack games :/

Random Algarithm for encryptions, change each number for a letter, then from the string they create you can pull out the information.

Also for each Data you send you can add false data, even though this clouds up the amount of stuff you send, it will decrease the chances of anyone de-crypting your code.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
ok cheers
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 11:29
Just thought I'd step in and mention that encrypting the packets before sending them isn't the best idea in the world. It's trivial to break.

If you use the encryption API's the come with the Windows SDK, it's trivially reverse engineered by anyone with a little assembly experience, and an assembly level debugger like IDA or Ollydbg. The same is true for any encryption method you yourself devise.

You also assume that people will be modifying the packets as they are sent from the computer. This is also rather trivial to bypass, as those variables sit in memory unencrypted and can be modified by an external application such as SoftICE (and there are hundreds of apps that do this, with the sole target of games).

The ONLY way to stop cheating of any kind is to handle everything on the server. The client merely should be the graphical representation of the data on the server and send the input back to the server. The server validates the input, and the updated information will be sent back to the client.

Encryption isn't the answer here as it doesn't actually solve the problem. You don't trust the clients information.

-Piro
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Some major recoding has to be done How would I do shooting? Like with angles or something? If the server is just a console which sends out positions and angles, i couldn't use 3d objects to raycast easily...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 17:40:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 17:40:37