Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Chrono Trigger -'Corridors of Light' (Corridors of Time ReMix)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 04:47 Edited at: 8th Feb 2009 04:53
Well I haven't composed anything in a little while, and I just got my studio up and running Sooo I figured, Hey, why not make a remix of another song rather than composing a whole new song? It turns out, remixing is actually pretty enjoyable haha

Anyway, the song I decided to remix was 'Corridors of Time' from Chrono Trigger. I call it, 'Corridors of Light'

Give it a listen and tell me what you think.

ORIGINAL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESqZb7hY1S0

Oh yeah, btw, I am going to be posting another version of this same song, but I am going to add some electric guitar. So be prepared for that

EDIT: btw #2, right after I compiled the project file into an MP3, I got a little message about low disk space, so I went on a deleting spree. I saw a folder with 55 mb worth of stuff in it called 'New Folder' and I didn't think it was anything important. Without even thinking about it, I deleted it... turns out, that folder was every single project that I ever made/recorded That being said, I don't have the project file to this song, so I can't make any changed to the track lol but, I still will be recording the guitar part. Enjoy haha

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 19:27
I can't really say... is it both an acoustic guitar and a piano playing the melody in the beginning* at once, or is it just a twisted piano sound? In case it is both, I'd suggest either lowering the guitar an octave or remove it alltogether.

Other than that, it sounds guite nice with the strings in a nice subtle level. Maybe the guitar copying the xylophone could have been panned a bit more to the left or right... but that's just my idea (thought it interfered a bit with the arpeggio at times).
The ending could have been worked on a bit further though, perhaps make a ritardando, spread it over four bars or so and have all sound "drown" in the strings. I'm not all that found of the abrupt cut ending, as you probably know
But over all, quite a pleasant remix; good work

* I say "beginning" because after a while the piano starts sounding clearer.

"We know some things about poodles, for example that they are alive, they can bark, they eat meat..."
- Extract from Objects first with Java.
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 19:44
haha thanks for the comment

the piano is just a regular piano, no guitar What I have it doing is playing the main melody with two notes, but an octave apart. I think thats how you got confused

the instrument playing with the xylophone is a harp btw haha.

thank you for the critique though, it helps me a lot

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 21:24
Haha, a harp? Yes maybe...
About the octave playing; I do that quite often myself
No offence, but it seems that your piano samples aren't the best... or maybe I'm loosing my hearing..

"We know some things about poodles, for example that they are alive, they can bark, they eat meat..."
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 22:28
Nah you're not losing your hearing, I know they are terrible Do you have any recommendations on better ones? (I am willing to spend a little cash)

Thanks

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 22:56
Well, it all depends on what types of genres you are going to work with?

I mainly use symphonic settings, so then Viennas libraries are the greatest match. However, they are seriously expensive.
A good fit-for-all-purposes library I have is EastWest Quantum Leap's Collossus; it is basically real high-resolution recordings of a standard GM (general midi) bank, + ~ 100 extra programs (various ethnic instruments and percussion and a pretty big bank of various guitars mostly). Unfortunately the solo strings in this library are quite limited in that you only have ~3 second unlooped samples of each tone.

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 23:06
Yeah that would be a problem for me because I use a lot of strings in my compositions (and remixes ) I might save up my pennies for vienna special edition plus, or eastwest quantum leap symphony orchestra (esqlso) gold edition. I am debating between the two as I heard they are both very good.

I heard that vienna is good for all around moods and esqlso is good for epic stuff. I also heard a little bit about garritan PO being good for emotive things... Do you have a preference on the three? Or do you think that Vienna symphonic is the all around best?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 10:38
Actually I mostly use the special edition of VSL (Vienna Symphonic Library) that came with the Kontakt sampler for my orchestral needs. The samples sounds great and covers an entire symphonic orchestra, apart from a few rarely used instruments (such as cornet and euphonium). The main issue with it is that it lacks solo strings though; I sometimes use the Colossus patches for that, but as said, they are very limited.

I would probably not reccommend EWQL's orchestra bundle over Viennas, seeing as the latter is the definitive "best in the market" brand. However, that goes for their full libraries (where you ie. buy a set of oboe patches for a few hundred $); I am unsure about their special edition. But it is likely that it is a bit grander than the one that ships with Kontakt and thus I would say that it is very valuable indeed.

Garritan I know hardly anything about.

But yes, in conclusion, I would believe that Vienna is the best library. They require you to buy a usb-connected key device to use any of their products, though. Shouldn't be a problem, but you might need to get an additional usb hub for that (at least I would; mine are all permanently occupied already )

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 13:18
Alright, thanks. I guess I'll go with VSL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 13:10:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 13:10:44