Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / extreme motion blur + a cheap little bloom

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 05:49 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 01:38

:/
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 13:37
Quote: "in wondering if it is possible to create a cheap little non fps killing bloom DDS? and if so how?"

Bloom isn't a texture, and unless you have a mid-top range PC, it'll probably kill your framerate no matter how you try it...

Quote: "im also wondering how to make a crazy motion blur where the player cant see much of anything when moving the mouse? even slightly!?!
"

That would get really annoying turn your head around, fast. You can still pick out details, overdone motion blur makes games look really bad...

Oh, and you can't do that either as far as I know...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 13:46 Edited at: 8th Feb 2009 13:48
Quote: "
[quote]Quote: "in wondering if it is possible to create a cheap little non fps killing bloom DDS? and if so how?""

Bloom isn't a texture, and unless you have a mid-top range PC, it'll probably kill your framerate no matter how you try it...[/quote]

i am agree with both and i dont agree with both, as CG_cofeegrunt says bloom is not a texture, but at the other hand, you could make a glow texture (paint.net can do that) give it normal map make it dynamic make it a overlay, give the effect: bumpcubereflectalpha, put it on the place you want to have bloom, place a light above (dynamic), and voila... but you wont get the effect you have if you make real bloom, (x10 or mod), This Process WILL NOT effect you framerate. ONLY TOO MANY OF DYNAMIC LIGHTS WILL.

about the motion blur, you could make a stretched/diffuse texture, add noise, make alpha map, (again paint.net with some plugins can do this). Make it a as hud by scripting. Add the script to a trigger, and voila. But again the effect wont be that great. I didn't ever did this, I only made the bloom you want, and came out pretty good.

you can always email me! Enjoy

Red Eye - The Game: Work In Progress - W.I.P. Red Eye Productions
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 13:51
Hmm, but that glow thing would look pretty bad from the side and back...

Your motion blur idea would just cover the screen in a semi transparent white smudge, and there's no condition to check mouse movement either...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hmm, but that glow thing would look pretty bad from the side and back..."

I did it before and it came out pretty good...
And i said "use as a overlay. On the grond or wall."

Here is a normal map tutorial:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=128852&b=24

And about the motion blur. . That could be what CG_cofeegrunt said.. i never did this before, so he could be right.

Quote: "and there's no condition to check mouse movement either..."

That is very true...

but my moto is : With Imagination everything is possible.

But obviously the effect will never be the same as x10 or other mods.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
i gonna make one and post here ok?

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 17:31
Well to be honest you can have as much imagination as you want, but what you have described would not look very realistic. Bloom is a very complex subject which calculates the blurring of lights based upon many things such as the player's location in relation to the light source, the location of the light source in relation to other objects, the refractivity and reflectivity of the objects in question... etc etc.

So in as many words:

Quote: "But again the effect wont be that great."

It would look diabolical.

[center]
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 17:42 Edited at: 8th Feb 2009 17:50
Quote: "Well to be honest you can have as much imagination as you want, but what you have described would not look very realistic. Bloom is a very complex subject which calculates the blurring of lights based upon many things such as the player's location in relation to the light source, the location of the light source in relation to other objects, the refractivity and reflectivity of the objects in question... etc etc."

yes i know that is surely true i know, but he is asking , i am answering, and though it may look in your words diabolic? it looks quite nice here is a pic,

It is not that great but say it your self.

I just took some brown simple textures (actually pure brown) on a couple of dynamic immobile textures. And did what is said on my first post.
Look Semi-Bloom. ofcourse it doesnt look that great and the frame is 38 first without it it was 50 so that is a pitty but look. I have to atmit it is a little strange but it has a nice effect.

This is a feature that i put in my Red Eye the Game.. i added a secret thing if you want to know just email me.

And i have to say, the light intensity while moving back from the source and into the source is the same as real bloom, it is not just a texture, it is also real "moving" if you understand what i mean, but you cant see that in the picture

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 18:09 Edited at: 8th Feb 2009 18:21
and i forgot to say that you can do that on every object

if it is dynamic like a box.. It is the same effect

you can add other overlays like raytrace to make it better

BloomieBloomieBloomieBloomie

Dude232
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "BloomieBloomieBloomieBloomie"

uhh what?

well bloom is needed but what about Dof?
bloom is a litle bit wanted too much there are other features we need

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
@Dude232:

what is dof and did you see my picture, it is like bloom, made by me on unmodded version of FPSC

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 20:11
Bloom is:

The blurring of bright aspects on screen. It will create a halo-y effect around the bright spots, causing a sort of "glow". Don't mistake this blur for the blur caused by other effects, Bloom normally enhances the brightness of the original color, making it appear to be a brilliant light.

Bloom is NOT:

Bloom isn't dependant on anything within the game. It acts on it's own, simply blurring parts of the screen and overlaying the created effect. It's also not souly restricted to the texturing of an object. What makes Bloom so neat is the blurring effect it has AROUND objects.

Motion Blur is:

The VERY slight directional blur caused by a swift change in player position or viewing angle. It is dependant on the engine for information in relation to movement so that it can blur in the desired direction.

Effective Motion Blur is caused by not just blurring the screen, but by "smudging" the screen in a specific direction, leaving behind that "motion trail". It looks realistic because when swift changes occur in reality, our brains will blur the image or portion of view that changed quickly, to make up for frames of animation that it missed.

Depth of Field (DoF) is:

The "focusing" of the camera on the distance of the closest object in the center of the camera's view. This focusing will make anything further or closer than the object appear blurry.

There... that's about all there is to it.

The one and only,

JZ28
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 21:20 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 01:36

:/
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 16:01
Quote: "
im also wondering how to make a crazy motion blur where the player cant see much of anything when moving the mouse? even slightly!?!"

They don't usually do motion blur for mouse movement on PC games do they? Isn't that one of those "console" things?

"I will personally give aides to all the underprivalaged children of the world."

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 01:31
Quote: "i need to make an extreme motion blur"

Alright, here's what you do:

Search around the board for how to do motion blur in DBP
Fire up DBP
Make a small room to fly around in (This is what's known as a test harness)
Implement Motion blur into that
When you get it working properly, THEN go put it in FPSC.

Come back when you get to the final step.

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 01:22:40
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 01:22:40