Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Problem with .png texture and FPS performance

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2009 02:25
Hi everyone
This is my first ask for help in this forum.

This is my problem: I’m using a 3D model generated with Plant Life, this model has a .png texture. I used the dbSetAlphaMappingOn and the dbGhostObjectOn, with this commands the 3D model makes the .png texture transparent in the places it is supose to be transparent, that´s OK. But, when the camera gets near the object the FPS drops down dramatically from 75 FPS TO 37 FPS. How can I avoid this FPS drop? Is there another way to import an .X model with transparent .png texture in Dark GDK?

Im using the dbSetWindowOff(); command.
Here´s the code of how im importing the .x model in the game.

dbLoadObject ("fern1.X", 300);
dbRotateObject (300 ,0 , 0 , 0 );
dbSetAlphaMappingOn ( 300,100 );
dbGhostObjectOn ( 300,6);
dbPositionObject (300,30000,420.0f,49000);
dbScaleObject (300,1000,1000,1000);

please help!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2009 09:26
Additive blending(dbGhostObjectOn()) is quite slow and if this brings down your FPS a lot for a single object then you must have quite an old GPU(or a mesh with ungodly amount of triangles). For this and generally all foliage you should use 1-bit alpha as it requires no frame buffer reading when drawing the triangles. i.e. use dbSetObjectTransparency( ID, 1 or 4 ). Yes it may not look as good but get some higher res textures or something as that's the best way to handle it.

Craythur
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2009 17:22
Hi Dark Coder,

First of all, thank you for answering

I have new results with the dbSetObjectTransparency( ID, 4 ) command. This improve the FPS a little with my original .x object (fern1.x). But I realize that this object is to heavy for my game. Here´s an attached image of the fern1.x in my game.

In that image, i wasn’t using the dbSetWindowOff() command. If I do, the FPS goes from 75 FPS to 40 FPS. The dbSetWindowOff() has huge effects in the FPS.

So I used another .x object, this one has a simpler .png texture (also, the plant has like 5 rounded leafs) and this has a fantastic result using the dbSetWindowOff() command. The FPS goes from 75 to 73, and that’s a big improve. I think using complicated .png texture, like the one in the image, affects a lot the FPS.

By the way, im using the NVIDIA e-GeForce 8400 GS 512MB. I believe this is a good video card, is it?

Thanks

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 17:32:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 17:32:39