Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / what games scare you???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 15:28
i want to know for thhe COZ horror comp and future horror games what reall makes people here jump

in games, films and books what has made you scared

please tell me what it is and if you know how you think it would scare you in FPSC

eg. dropping through floors things attacking you from behind etc

gamer for life
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 15:45
Erm..

Left 4 Dead can be pretty scary, being as none of the enemies are scripted, they can just appear anywhere at any time..

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce the combined size to 600x120 maximum size
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 15:45 Edited at: 15th Feb 2009 15:47
In the first FEAR game, when you're in that abandoned building and the mech drops through the ceiling. That scared the absolute crap out of me, I had to hit the escape key to quit and catch my breath. Plus that thing hunts you down, the AI is so good in that game, which makes it even scarier.

Although I probably do have an irrational fear of mechs. I blame my parents for letting me watch Robocop as a kid, the ED-209 boardroom scene. That movie scarred me for life.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 15:51
Quote: "Although I probably do have an irrational fear of mechs. I blame my parents for letting me watch Robocop as a kid, the ED-209 boardroom scene. That movie scarred me for life.
"

Haha genius!

Anyway i agree, things thatmake me jump are enemies appearing when you don't expect it. Also music plays a massive role in it for me. If a game builds up some suspensful music im bound to be dropping some bombs in my underpants!

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 15:54
Robocop is amazing. Although I dont think murphy should have lived that shotgun obliteration at the beginning, he shoulda been dead before he got his hand blown off

Anything w/ surprise factor scares me, if you havent played Doom3, try it. That is probably the only game that can keep scaring me. FEAR was nothing, FEAR2 demo had 1 part
I'd say Doom3

*slap!*
Quiet yourself, think before posting, and maybe you won't be as ignorant as you seem.
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 15:54 Edited at: 15th Feb 2009 16:03
Condemned 1 and 2. I actually had to stop playing Condemned 2 a few times, because it was freaking me out so bad (in the middle of the night, on a big HD screen, with 5.1...)

In Condemned one big thing was the sounds... It had constant disturbing ambient sounds, and that combined with the darkness and the unpredictable enemies made it really harrowing. The doll factory in Condemned 2 was horrifying, with the glowing eyed baby dolls coming at you.

Other than that, uh... The Suffering had good jump scares, and uh... System Shock back in the day

I don't think jump scares make a good horror game per se, I think getting a constant feel of pressure/suspense/lurking danger is more effective. System shock and Condemned really achieved that well.

EDIT: Forgot to shamelessly self-advertise; Play HCZ, it's scary!

i married acow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 15:58
A lot of darkness, and not being able to see where a monster is even though you know it's there. Silent Hill has always scared me.

Crusty Jugglers
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 16:23
Remember too much darkness is not always scary, you need a balance of darkness and effective of lighting. Things like flickering lights add effect, another thing is music, tense music will keep you on the edge of your seat. When something scary happens the music should go silent, and then instantly really loud as soon as the scare happens. Use good sound effects, thing like echos on sound effects help simulate the feeling of aloneness and vulnerability.

FireBASIC - The Heart of Great Programming - http://firebasic.ablazegaming.co.uk
g0LDjUnGe
Years of Service
User Offline
the most scarriest games are FEAR 1 and Condemned 1 i think
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 18:42
when Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out i was too scared to jump in that hole in the first mummy meeting and then those jumping legless looper things.now f.e.a.r. is scary,penumbra,and more that i cant remember

A.K.A. djmaster
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 21:59
Anything with ponies or barbie scares the hell out of me!

Best.

Weasel
Years of Service
User Offline
What makes a lot of horror movies scary is the lighting and the music/ambient sound effects.

Scream didn't have much of these things, but it still scared the crap out of me. At least the 5 minutes of it I watched didn't have that.
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 22:56
I love dark passages with creepy music!

It is well that war is so terrible or we should grow too fond of it- Robert E Lee
Slim Fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 02:40 Edited at: 16th Feb 2009 02:47
What scares me most isn't really as much scary as eerie. I have 3 examples:

1. In condemned 2 when your in the apartment complex, when your walking down a hallway. You hear shuffling, turn around, and there's 5 manakins just staring at you... Then when you turn around and walk away, you hear shuffling again, turn around, but there's nothing there. So when you turn back the second time, there's like twice as many staring at you with red eyes. It almost made me shyte myself...

2. In the F.E.A.R 2 demo, when you're walking down a hallway, you hear a bucket get knocked over, and when you turn around, you see Alma run at you like the grudge, that was the scariest horror experience of my life, because that hallway wasn't somewhere I would expect to see Alma.

3. In the first F.E.A.R, you're in an elevator and the light flickers for a second, and in that time Alma is staring at you in the opposite corner.

I have to agree with Wizzkid, properly placed ambient sounds, good music and proper lighting make a good Horror Game experience.
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 02:50
What makes things scary?
-------------------------
Sound, absence of good people, and darkness.
Have a level, dark, but full of detail, and lots of rooms. That way the player cant just run through it. Sound. Dont have music, have background noise of breathing, heartbeat and such. Example, play halo 1, when you first meet the flood....

Till Thy Migration Come...
>>>Can anyone guess how I came up with my username???<<<
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 06:59 Edited at: 16th Feb 2009 07:00
Yes Condemned is freaking scary too, Monolith knows how to scare players, and sound is probably even more important than the visuals.

Ooooh! And that locker scene in the first Condemned game, when that teacher (who looks like a decomposing corpse), grabs your hand. I should have seen that coming a mile away when I was asked to move in closer with my camera - but I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 09:14
thats why fpsc is good horror game maker,you dont need dx10 graphics to scare a player,but easy to make and loads of options with a bit of scripting

A.K.A. djmaster
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 12:14
wow tgank all of you for what youve given me luckily most of the references i've played/ seen so i know what you mean and you not alone those things scared the shirt off my back

gamer for life
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 14:24
Penumbra Overture and Black Plague are great examples, IMO. Waiting for those darned dogs in Overture to walk away while the pounding music is playing and the player character panics whenever he looks the dog in the eyes; brilliant. First time in long that I've been so scared. Other horror games don't really scare me though, the sort of suspense and waiting is what made the Penumbra's great. Eventually though, your patience will run out and you'll whack the mut down with the pickaxe instead, lol.

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 14:32
Hardcore Zombie Project among others state, made me almost crap myself

I will not tell you that no
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 21:51
Quote: "In the first FEAR game, when you're in that abandoned building and the mech drops through the ceiling. That scared the absolute crap out of me, I had to hit the escape key to quit and catch my breath. Plus that thing hunts you down, the AI is so good in that game, which makes it even scarier.
"

Your assets on the tgc store are scary. (I'm using the zombies in one game!) Everybody loves your assets. He is coming kinda scared me. A zombie crawler came out from behind the couch scared me.

LEON OAR
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 22:47
Beliveing that you know whats going to happen, but then the circumstances changes quickly.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 22:51
I have yet to find an FPS Creator game to scare me. In a few parts of F.E.A.R. I almost shidizzled myself. Condemned was kind of scary. When the first Suffering came out, that game made me almost shidizzle my self to.

The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 18:10
Doom 3

I can't texture. I'm not an artist.
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 18:11
Doom 3. Because enemies can pop up anywhere. Or when you are doing something demons can spawn at your back.

I can't texture. I'm not an artist.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 22:56
Quote: "the ED-209 boardroom scene. That movie scarred me for life."
lol, great scene!

...and on the seventh day, Pus rested.
TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 23:02
Years ago, a game based on the "Alien" movies came out. That one put me on edge so much, I couldn't finish it. Dark corridors, your handheld thing blinking with lights where the Aliens are and that hissing sound coming from the dark...very eerie...

TechGirl
(Yes, I'm really female!)
Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 23:56
I really don't fall for those "jump out at you" scary stuff anymore. But FEAR really freaked me out. Alot. Dead Space is also really freaky, it's so freakin' demented and freaky when you fight these things that just slaughtered some guy right in front of you, I had to pause and take a breather.

Another thing is ambiance. The game has to have a freaky-ass atmosphere, and not just blood and bodies everywhere.

Dead Space and FEAR both have something in common: they make you play as vulnerable individuals. In FEAR, you play as some military guy. In Dead Space, you play as some miner.

I feel that if I don't have a gauss gun in my hand, I'm scared.

CND gamemakers
Years of Service
User Offline
you want more sound than anything and pop-up stuff like you find on youtube is bad.you want stuff like eg:music like dum dum dum dum dum dum dummmmmmmm then a zombie from model pack 22 jumps in front of you(but no screams thats just to scary lol): somthing like that

you see me i see you.next time you see me i will be behind you waiting...
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 23:04
Quote: " Years ago, a game based on the "Alien" movies came out. "

Yeah, the PS1 game. Awesome stuff. I recall constantly getting my mum to get me passed the lasers. I don't think she knew either, but I didn't want to.

Silent Hill 2 was pretty scary, but that was a long time ago. Now, I like Condemned because you never feel safe and games like BioShock because of the creepy atmosphere and unsettling game universe. Left4Dead isn't scary, but boy is it intense.

Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 23:50
Doom 3 was a game that used to scare me years ago, when it first came out it had really really good graphics for its time, thats what scared me, also the use of 3d sound, so you dont know where the creature is coming from...

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2009 00:16
Quote: "also the use of 3d sound, so you dont know where the creature is coming from..."

I thought 3D sounds makes it easier to hear where the enemies come from?

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2009 01:29
I remember "Alien Trilogy". What scared you was the total darkness infront of you but the motion tracker bleeping faster and faster as enemies came in close XD
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2009 02:59
I've recently developed the balls to play horror games to some extent, therefore I have some things that I've found...

What sort of scares me is something that doesn't acknowledge you, but is extremely deadly, sort of like the Beserker in GOW, it couldn't see you, and seem to have a spaz attack as soon as it came near you...
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 00:12
Yeah, that berserker is pretty terryfing. Atleast until you figure out how basic the AI is for it.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 02:02
Lol, yeah, but I got really pissed off with it and just went and listened to music.
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 04:23
I don't know... Music is the biggest part of scary games, or even no music. Watch Alien 1, and my favorite, 2, they give good ideas...

Till Thy Migration Come...
>>>Can anyone guess how I came up with my username???<<<
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 11:35
i have all 4 aliens and anything past 1 and 2 are rubbish, even though bits can make you jump i agree that 1 and 2 are the ultimate in sci-fi frights

gamer for life
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 17:21 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2009 17:22
Quote: "Dead Space is also really freaky, it's so freakin' demented and freaky when you fight these things that just slaughtered some guy right in front of you, I had to pause and take a breather."

Same lol.

Quote: "In Dead Space, you play as some miner."

Nope, you play as Isaac Clarke, an engineer.

Resident Evil used to scare me (Can't blame me, I played it when I was 5 when my parents were away and accidentally left it on ). The scariest scene was the zombie dogs and babies (The bit in the small room and 5 babies or something, that scarred me for life). The zombies which randomly spawned from the corner of the hallway and walked out of doors creeped me out too. Oh, and the part with the toilet part (I think), when you get locked in there and 3 zombies come at you.

Dead Space freaked me out too, but not as much as RE. The only scary bits were the lurker arms (where it grabs you out without warning), the immortal Slasher (Jesus, that scared me like hell) and the large Vegetation area, where it locks down and you have an almost unlimited amount of Pregnants (fat ones, carry the crawlers and spits them out when killed), Slashers (most common necromorph)and Wailers (3-tentacled babies) dashing towards you. Also, there was one part before you see Nicole when you travel down a Gondola (some freaky glitches on that too, go too near the edge and you glitch and fall out and die) and there is a dead slasher hanging from the ceiling.

See what you can squeeze out from that

-FCV

FPS Creator X10 Forums
FREE THE NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 18:39
well i just was curious has anyone ever played extermination for the PS2 as that really scared me when it came out if you're looking for a scare try it out.

gamer for life
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 19:12
The Suffering was the one that scared me. Excellent game.

Forza Inter
Years of Service
User Offline
Really the game which scared me the most was left 4 dead with the hunters and the hordes
CND gamemakers
Years of Service
User Offline
bio shock was scary at the sound and it berly had any music coz a splicer just came up to you when you were in the lift and you had no wep at the start and when you did get the wep it was only a crowbar but it aint as scary as fear

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 01:17
Quote: "Ooooh! And that locker scene in the first Condemned game, when that teacher (who looks like a decomposing corpse), grabs your hand. I should have seen that coming a mile away when I was asked to move in closer with my camera - but I fell for it hook, line, and sinker."

That bit was great, the atmosphere in that game was perfect, a Se7en clone to be honest. The fact that the controls were such an abomination really stopped it from being spectacular though.

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 01:22 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2009 01:22
Resident Evil: Remake is one of the scariest game I've played. The ambience of the gloomy mansion and the stunning graphics made the game just perfect.

I really jumped when a Crimson Head woke up from the floor. It looked just like it was drawn to the background

CND gamemakers
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I really jumped when a Crimson Head woke up from the floor. It looked just like it was drawn to the background"

ye that was scary but there are more scary bits

Mort Alz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 05:39
Well, this may be rather lame, BUT...

The first Quake by id software startled me few times but gave me goosebumps throughout the whole level

i agree that music plays a huge role

in Quake, id software got Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails to make the soundtrack... it payed off

You just lost 'this' much control.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 03:17:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 03:17:34