Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Virtual World (like runescape)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
what programs do i need to make a VIRTUAL WORLD where i could walk round do quests get levels blah blah blah... (like runescape in HD) see attachment for the idea of what i want to create. i have visual c++, from there what do i need? do i need c++?? i have no idea on what i need. PLEASE HELP

EG i want a runescape type place where its like full adventure world and u get xp, levels, train... u no...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 13:59 Edited at: 16th Feb 2009 14:00
Choose the Runescape DarkGDK template in the VC++ then press compile. That explains it all, if you want any changes press edit game

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 14:03
death adder 23
Years of Service
User Offline
so your telling me theres a runescape template? haha is it like the one now in HD and good graphics? or the old one? whats it like? i will download soon when my internet resets.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 14:46
@death adder 23
He is joking...

To make a game like runescape will take you more hours than you have in your life (especially seeing as it looks like you need to learn to program first...), and nobody's going to help you unless you can show that you are a very experienced programmer (which I doubt) and have already made a lot of progress.

Almost every day there is a new post like this, where someone completely new to game making comes along and fancies them self as the creator of the next MMORPG.
Not one of them has ever made any real progress on their game, and most of them leave as soon as they discover that you actually need to put work in to make a game...

If you have no experience programming, but you want to learn, you will probably be better off with DBPro, which uses the simpler BASIC syntax instead of C++. If you aren't going to put the effort in to learn to program, get FPSC instead.

Finally, don't even bother trying to make an MMORPG, because it is a fact that you will fail. No MMORPG has ever been completed using DBPro or GDK, and the only projects which have ever come close are by very experienced programmers, with teams of people helping.

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 16:45
hahahhahaha rofl

U we'll need GDK + multisync..

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 17:22 Edited at: 16th Feb 2009 17:23
Quote: "so your telling me theres a runescape template? haha is it like the one now in HD and good graphics? or the old one? whats it like? i will download soon when my internet resets."

lol

Get a copy of Darkbasic professional, run examples. Edit bits of code and learn from there. Not in till you fully understand Darkbasic professional should you even think about GDK. Possibly learn a bit of PHP after that, it has a similar syntax to c++ but more easier to understand and use. Then move to c++

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 17:57
Get a copy of Darkbasic professional, run examples. Edit bits of code and learn from there. Not in till you fully understand Darkbasic professional should you even think about GDK.

I don't agree with you on this. I started with DB Classic a million years ago, then DBP and am now learning C++. I'd say that the benefits of C++ (classes, inheritance, pointers...) far outweigh the time loss in increased learning curve. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't believed in all the "C++ is so hard to learn" preachers and simply started coding "for real" right away.

Sure, you can learn a lot about the basics of coding in DBP and DB. But you end up learning more exceptions and fight more hurdles than you would using the GDK. Most of the time is spent looking for a good plugin or code snippet that can help you come around one of the numerous bugs.

There shouldn't be such a grave need for plugins. But rotation and animation -- among other things -- are too poorly executed in core DBP to fulfil their real purposes.

I like both products and I've had a lot of fun with them. But I can't really recommend them, to be perfectly honest.
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 19:27
Quote: "Not in till you fully understand Darkbasic professional should you even think about GDK. Possibly learn a bit of PHP after that, it has a similar syntax to c++ but more easier to understand and use. Then move to c++"

I've never even touched dark basic. learning that first will probably make it harder to learn C++ well without getting into bad habits. And PHP is a nightmare to use. Learn Javascript if you want a C based language first, but I'd go straight into C++. People say its hard to learn, but compared to many languages its stupidly simple.
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 19:44
I agree with Jezza. I'm knew to Dark GDK but not to C++ and it really isn't all that hard. It's not as easy as DBPro but it's not hard. You just have to be determined and look at examples and eventually (a few days) you will start to understand the code, and then slowly you will be able to write your own code.
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 21:54 Edited at: 16th Feb 2009 21:54
C++ is the easiest to learn. Using advanced concepts like pointers will destroy your brain.
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 22:37
PHP is the easiest language to use with a C++ like syntax.

jezza : Possible to see some of ur code? Cause I wonder what its like when u hate php.

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 22:54 Edited at: 16th Feb 2009 22:54
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
I started with PHP, it's structure and apart from pointers, would be the easiest language to learn to jump into c++
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 01:06 Edited at: 17th Feb 2009 01:07
I do PHP for fun. How can you hate it?

Sorry, but if you think you can make a Runescape replica and you don't even know what you're talking about... you're an idiot.
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 01:24
death adder 23
Years of Service
User Offline
lol guys im using C# right now.
death adder 23
Years of Service
User Offline
i try template on 23/02/09
death adder 23
Years of Service
User Offline
i will start with c++ and runescape template making it old skool
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 11:43
I don't hate PHP, I use it all the time in web design, its just that the language was thrown together.
And there is no template, he was making fun of you.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 13:12
@death adder 23
Do you know how to read???

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
All you need is visual c++, i also recomend the sparkys collision an the multisync collision plugin, and ofcurs youl need something to make the world and the characters... you can use blender(its free)
but basicly if u dont want to go troo all that you can just use the
realmcrafter(http://realmcrafter.thegamecreators.com/)

Game.Love
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 17:53
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 17:06
I belive the runescape template is on sale at

[href]www.readpostsnubz.com/C++/Runescape/Template[/href]

TheCleverGuyz