Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Market Research

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought FPS Creator a few years ago, and I'd fiddle around with it every once in a while to blow off some steam from filmmaking. I recently had an idea, a short but elabrate, idea for a video game using FPS Creator, and I'm wondering: what would a game made with FPS Creator have to make it marketable?

Note: This is NOT a team request.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 00:41
Well to be honest if your planning to sell for more than £10 a copy then FPS Creator isnt the tool for you. But saying that it is a very quick way to make a game and you can get some cash from it.

Top things needed for a successful game are:

Good Level Design
Good Light-mapping
Exciting Gameplay
Good story line
Good Organisation

Im going soon so made that quick maybe others can say in more detail.

So... You have messed up your FPS Creator again - The dreaded words are back

FPS Creator Community Forum
ValiEnt
Years of Service
User Offline
Storyline and whatnot is not a problem. I have no doubt that I can think of a way to tell a story inside of FPS Creator without it interfering with gameplay.

Plus, I can add some nice cutscenes (been filmmaking for 5 years; audio and video editting for 10).

And I don't plan on selling a game for prices that would rival new releases for the PC. I'm talking about selling a game for $10-$15; $20 if I add some extra features.

Thanks for your response.
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 01:40
Quote: "Well to be honest if your planning to sell for more than £10 a copy then FPS Creator isnt the tool for you. But saying that it is a very quick way to make a game and you can get some cash from it."

Most PROFESSIONAL PC games only sell for $40 or $50 (American dollars). So yeah, about $40 dollars for a homemade game is a bit well, outrageous. I think Anderson and the Call of Cthulu sold for $30 somewhere though.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 01:49
and that was with professional movie cutscenes, a dev team similar to CoZ's and all that stuff. you can technically make a game that is marketable but it would take a dedicated team and lots of time.

dumpus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 03:04
I disagree, you can make great games with FPSC if you're really creative and push the program to its limits. That being said, you have to really push it to its limits. That being said, you have to REALLY push it to its limits.

It's the same with any engine - you get out what you put in. A few lines of code won't make a professional game.

*This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.*
ValiEnt
Years of Service
User Offline
$30 to $50 American is mega outragious for a homemade game, unless you have content that comes with the game that's beyond the game, or the engine, gameplay and story is so mindblowing that it makes your brain explode; I totally agree. Especially in this day and age.

Can someone give me other examples of FPS Creator-made games that sell?
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 05:51
Quote: "and that was with professional movie cutscenes, a dev team similar to CoZ's and all that stuff. you can technically make a game that is marketable but it would take a dedicated team and lots of time.
"

I disagree with that statement. Demon Sun, is NO, I repeat NO WHERE near the professional games today. Yes, I guess you could maybe make a few dollars off it but. If you are going to put that much time into it you mind as well buy a better engine to.

*Demon Sun is a very good FPSC game. No harm done COZ

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 09:29
"if your planning to sell for more than £10 a copy then FPS Creator isnt the tool for you."

You cant say that now when the source are out..
Its all in the story!

"Right Man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Most PROFESSIONAL PC games only sell for $40 or $50 (American dollars)."

Make that $100 minimum...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 03:22:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 03:22:21