Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DBPro

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 17:31
Hi, i recently downloaded 3 of the dbpro demos from the downloads page because i was thinking of purchasing it, but all 3 perform illegal operations before the demos actually run. This happens on both of my machines, both with latest graphics card drivers and both with dx 8.1.

Macine one:
450mhz Pent 3
128megs ram
Onboard i810 intel graphics

Machine two:
1.8ghz Pent 4
256megs ram
GeForce 2 64meg

Both running win98. Does this happen on anyone elses computer? Why does it happen on mine? Is this how buggy dbpro really is? This has seriously put me off buying it- has anyone got any demos made in dbpro which i could download to see if theyll work?

Thanx people.
www.shockforge.com ShockForge Software
www.havochost.com Unlim bandwdith, unlim space, you.havochost.com, you.s8i.com, visit site for more details.
...::::ShockForge::::...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 17:36
download the source versions... they all work on all 6 of my systems including the laptop which i was surprised at

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 17:50
hmm, that means i have to d/l the trial version then

anyway, ive tried even another dbpro program (particle factory from db-pro.co.uk) which still gives me the illegal ops.

So even if the source version works, i still wont be able to run compiled games

Ohwell, i'll try the source vers anyway (ive got 56k, so it might be a while since i next respond )...

www.havochost.com Unlim bandwdith, unlim space, you.havochost.com, you.s8i.com, visit site for more details.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 18:32
darkbasicpro itself actually runs (the editor), but when i try to compile and run a program, the illegal op comes up again.

Is it just my two computers for some strange reason, or does this happen to some other people too?

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 20:44
What software is running one both machines.

(i.e. Anti-Virus software)

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 20:50
Both have trend pc cillin, and both have MS Sidewinder game controller software running in the background. Ive tried closing these but it still gives me the error

denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 21:35
What DX version? you NEED 8.1

denki
Kousen DPB RPG latest - Working on editors!
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 22:01
Quote:
This happens on both of my machines, both with latest graphics card drivers and both with dx 8.1.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 22:03
Are you in 24-bit mode ? If so, change it

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 22:11
have you tried some simple code... like

sync on : sync rate 60
do
print "hi it works"
sync
loop

i mean the original DB demos DON'T work - takes alot of careful recoding to get around the bugs and such to make them work, it is at that point at which you think Lee is no better than bloody id with his messy code
... must say if anyone has seen Lee's more recent demos compared to his old ones, you'll notice his coding style has neatened up considerablly -
i mean does nothing different, but allows for easier reading

all the demos i downloaded compiled even in demo 1 fine thou - so i dunno ... probably one of those odd mysteries.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 21:32
Are you in 24-bit mode

Thanx- thats the prob
Both graphics cards were set in 24bit (dunno why my bro's geforce2 was :S).

Is there some way to enter the games in a lower colour setting as my computer (the onboard graphics) can only handle 24bit

At least stuff works on my brothers comp now, but i hardly get a chance to go on his :S

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:34:00
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:34:00