Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / create new window

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
how do you create a second window during a game. like click button and make new window or just have two to start off with
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2009 22:41
win32 api - just keep in mind windows = controls.

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
Gatorules
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry i dont know how to make a win 32 app or what "windows=controls" means. help please
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 02:48 Edited at: 19th Feb 2009 02:56
Not 'win 32 app', 'win 32 api'. WinAPI is the API (Applcation Programming Interface) which is often used to create Windows applications.

To create a new window you'll use either CreateWindow() or CreateWindowEx(). However Windows programming can get very confusing if you don't know what you're doing, so before you go off and begin randomly experimenting with these functions I suggest you check out a WinAPI tutorial such as this one. It will start with the basics, such as a simple message loop and creating a window, and move on to slightly more complex topics like menus and dialog boxes. Once you have a good understanding of how it all works you can attempt to integrate it into a DGDK app.

Oh, and by "windows=controls" he meant that in Windows, just about everything is considered to be a window: buttons, edit controls, combo boxes, etc. and this can be confusing to beginners, because you'll be using CreateWindow() even when you're creating buttons and what not.

Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 00:40
hence the name "Windows"

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 19:21:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 19:21:57