Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / .X Files Vs. .DBO

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 19:14
Hey Guys,

I have a question. Does the fact that .DBO files in FPSC are used as temporary files bother you? Is there any reason you'd prefer to use .DBO as your permanent models files OVER .X?

I ask mostly out of curiosity... I personally wish the .DBO weren't only temporary files, as there are somethings .DBO work better for than .X.

Your Insights Welcome,
Codemaster

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 19:26
When an x file is loaded it must be parsed from its raw form
into a form that DBPro can use, so in other words a dbpro model should load faster than an x model, speeding up the load times of your game.

Also .dbo files can only be used by the dbpro engine so it reduces piracy of models.

Personally it doesnt bother me but i can see how it could be annoying if you lost the original .x file and couldnt use the dbo file for many things

Wizzkid

FireBASIC - The Heart of Great Programming - http://firebasic.ablazegaming.co.uk
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 22:42
From my own experience, .dbo files are also smaller than .x files which is always a plus.

AE

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 03:22:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 03:22:53