Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC - My Comments

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I'm new to the board but have been watching the threads for a couple of years and finally feel a need to comment.

I'm not a great programmer but have been involved with computers since 1982! I bought a ZX Spectrum (Timex), and was amazed at how much those working with a very limited machine managed to stretch it's limits.

I feel that FPSC is very similar in that it's a limited engine with a massive amount of scope which can also be stretched by those who make the effort. However it seems to me that too many threads moan about the engines failures without looking into what it is actually capable off.

I understand that there have been several very decent Mods which have, in my opinion progressed the main engine, but however there has also been some amazing work, using shaders, clever coding and even clever graphical work which have simply used the engine as is, to create some incredible results.

Now I'm not complaining about modifications but feel that the engine so far is great value for money and can only get better.

For me, Lee and the team have made some massive improvements and it seems to me that too many people are expecting to make SIMS 2 or Medal of Honor on a $50 engine without making a personal effort.

Great, but my name's not Shirley
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
I totally agree, and welcome to the forums (as a user that is).

I used to be GERM, but I got a NaMe ChaNgE.
In cyberspace, no one can hear you scream!
Or can they?
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 23:21
I mostly agree with what you say, but there's always gonna be people who moan and complain because something is not completely perfect. It's just how they are.

It's most likely because they don't have the time or patience to learn the engine, what it can, what it can't do. No one is going to be making CoD: 6 or Halo 4 with this engine, it just can't do it. FPSC is great for making indoor sci-fi levels, but people want to make turret battles, and have massive wars... It just doesn't work.

In my opinion, with a decent mod, a knowledge of scripting, modeling and animating, and the patience to experiment and explore FPS can make awesome games, but they can't make a CRYSIS or STALKER out of it.

Just my two cents, and welcome to the forums. Nice to have you.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
to me i think people moan because of the things that Lee is able to do but doesn't. At least until the migration

Examples-water,rag doll,particles,bloom,camera control..etc

I'm not moaning but i'm just telling you my opinion as to why people do "moan"

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 23:42 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2009 23:42
EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 23:55 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2009 23:59
Very well put!

It depends on the type of personality you have, there will always be people who dwell on what FPSC can't do, rather than what it already can do, which is a hell of a lot!

If you're truly a creative person, than you like the challenge of pushing the limits to achieve what naysayers claim isn't possible. You might fail 9 out of 10 times, but that one victory is what makes it worthwhile to the creative person.

Besides, think about it: If a couple of kids could create a Half-Life 2 caliber game totally within FPSC, what would be the fun in that? The mystique, intrigue, and fun would be gone for that genre of game if it was that easy. And people would immediately want to push the limits even further. It's the challenge that makes it wortwhile and fun.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 03:21:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 03:21:15