Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Create a standalone executable

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 18:45 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 18:50
I have just started using Visual Studio and Dark GDK. I opened the tutorial included with the Dark GDK, Dark Invaders, and was able to run the program in the environment. But I am not able to create a working executable. I can build a release exe successfully, but it will not even run on my computer, let alone others. How can an exe be created that will run on an XP or Vista machine (assuming they have DirectX installed)?
dmurk
Years of Service
User Offline
Can anyone tell me how to create an executable for the tutorial program Dark Invaders that will work on any XP or Vista machine that has DirectX installed?
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 21:49
Explain what you mean by "not run". What error do you get?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
dmurk
Years of Service
User Offline
It is a win32 exception (2784). See attachment for specific message. One question is can you compile it and get a working executable that would work on my computer and others?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
for a start make sure you are creating a RELEASE version and NOT a debug one
G0DL355
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 16:03
Yeah, saw this on some other forums too - there's a drop-down box entitled 'debug' in the VS environment that has a 'Release' option.

For some reason, however, I can get a compiled .exe to run on the desktop I build it on (obv), my laptop (which used to have dark gdk, but I removed all components, which just confuses me...) and my cousin's desktop, which is running a version of Vista (she couldn't tell me which one)

Even if there's something I'm missing, is there a file of any kind I'm lacking in the .exe folder when I try and run it on other computers, or, would I just have to suggest that they install the August 2007 Direct X SDK before they can run it?

This is really unclear in the documentation, and, so far I've not found a solution to this...

--------------
So Endeth What Was Begotten From That Moste Darkest and Forgotten Of Times...
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 16:38 Edited at: 17th Mar 2009 16:39
Quote: "Even if there's something I'm missing, is there a file of any kind I'm lacking in the .exe folder when I try and run it on other computers, or, would I just have to suggest that they install the August 2007 Direct X SDK before they can run it?
"

I haven't done this simply because I don't have reasonable access to a machine on which I haven't installed the August 2007 SDK. However, theoretically, if you include d3dx9_35.dll in the same directory as your executable it should work. Where do you find this elusive file? I'm glad you asked.

Use Windows Explorer to drill down to

Crogram FilesMicrosoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)Redist

and open the file AUG2007_d3dx9_35_x86.cab . This should act like a zip file and can be opened with WinZip or probably most archiving tools. You'll find the d3dx9_35.dll file in there. Extract it to wherever you'd like to store a copy then make sure a copy of it is available in your distribution of the executable.

There are some other files in the .CAB file. I'm not sure what they do but the .INF files appear as if they can reconfigure some settings on your PC, so I'd avoid opening them.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 21:17:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 21:17:17