Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Youve heard this thread for the hundredth+ time but here it is again

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok..you guessed id!
Music/sound problem
(but its different)

once apon a time there was a programmer that loaded sound perfecto!
but all of a sudden the big bad darkbasic said na-ahah you cant load sound and music anymore and the programmers project crashed

do to the award winning novel I wrote up there youve got a vauge point of whats happening

you see sound worked fine for the most part of my project until all of a sudden it just didn't :?

heres what I put

load sound "doom.wav",1
play sound 1

ergh...runtime warning can't load sound

so this time I converted the sound and put

load music "doom.mid",1
play music 1

ergh...runtime warning can't load music..to fix bang head against keyboard...

and just like 5 minutes ago it was working fine

Yes it is in the same directory as my project

I need a new Avatar
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 03:01
Wey, I'm high on red bull after messing around with sorting algorithms all day and night

No, but I am probably way to tired to think straight... anyhow, are you sure that your program is searching the correct folder?
This has happened to me quite frequently before with all kinds of media, simply because, for some reason, the ide decides to put the TGC\DBPRO\TEMP folder as the current working directory instead of the folder where the actual executable is being created.

Do a quick test using this method:

Yeah, well... I feel that I might have to edit this post tomorrow; I'm off to sleep now anyways

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 19:48 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 19:49
That sounds like my nightmare bedtime story ..... except not with sounds.....3d models...lol

does windows media player work for playing your sounds?

SMD3DInteractive
gbark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 20:24
Make sure you're compiling an actual project (A *.DBPRO file) instead of just a source file (A *.dba file). If you're running from a project then DB will look in the same directory for your media, but if you're running just from a source file then it will look in the default DB temp media files.

Also, if you run the Wonderful World of Vista, then I highly recommend NOT saving your projects to the Program Files directory, as Vista goes all security gung-ho on anything running from Program Files that attempts to access files - Instead, save your projects to a directory in My Documents.

Finally, make sure your sound file isn't corrupted or anything (can you not load *any* sound files, or is it just the one that gives you trouble).
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 20:43
Quote: "If you're running from a project then DB will look in the same directory for your media"

Actually, it looks in the same folder as the executable is created (which would still be in the temporary folder, unless you select a different one from within the editor). (Just thought I should clarify that, as it sounded as if you were referring to the folder that the project file is stored too).

AJAtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes The file works in WindowMediaPlayer for midi and wav
No I don't have Vista(thank goodness)
yea i did the whole new project thing so im clear on that
no
yea

but anyway does darkbasic have a limit on how big a sound file can be?

becouse it working fine with tunes that are like under 20 second long

I need a new Avatar
AJAtom
Years of Service
User Offline
why is it after the 7th post my thread just dies?
this happened with my old account(that got lost)

I need a new Avatar
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 03:21
So it works with smaller sounds in darkbasic then?

Do you use any commands from the enhancement pack? Cause i found a simular problem where none of those commands work anymore and say a simular error.

some sort of sound card error? even if i dont call any commands to use the sound card but use some of the others found in that pack say the same error...?

So it may be that or something different?
the ogg format was nice to use but it doesnt work 4 me anymore for an unkown reason

SMD3DInteractive

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:09:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:09:04