Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / What slows games down the most?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering, what is it that causes games to run slowly? Well... I guess everything but what has the most effect on game speed? Characters? Dynamic entitys? Portals? Exposed skyboxes? Something else? I would really like to know so I could keep it in mind when trying to speed up my games.
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 01:26
dynamic entity's and more than 10 (for me) characters at a time

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 01:27
Characters, because of the way the scripts work. As far as I know you can have a level packed full of however many enemies you like but as soon as you add a character your framerate will drop like a ton of bricks.
Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
What enemies are there besides characters?
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 01:35
hmm. i can add many of my robot enemys without a drop in framerate. (i dont mean like the sci fi one but little shooting contraptions)

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Huh, where would i got about getting one of those?
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 01:38 Edited at: 1st Mar 2009 01:44
a post of errant ai's ill find it in a minute for ya

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=98361&b=24

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 02:07
I'll see if I can put this in English. Others may disagree or have variations, but this is my understanding. There are, very basically, two things which slow the game or FPS down. Polygons and scripts.

Polygons are what the engine must render. Everything in the game world you make is made up of them. The engine must continually draw these polygons on the computer screen. The more complex these polygons are, the longer it takes to draw them, and this can slow the game.

I have to explain something here which will help make sense of this process. You've probably heard it said that large open rooms will slow the game down. That's because there is a large number of polygons in view, or being drawn by the engine. As your character turns around, each polygon in view must be quickly redrawn many times to give that illusion of you turning. When we make small rooms, short halls, and many twists and turns in our map, we cut down on the number of polygons that can be seen, and therefore drawn by the engine.

Keep in mind that the engine looks right through windows and even doors, drawing what is on the other side. Keeping them to a minimum and staggering them helps to keep the field of view down.

To me, the larger draw on FPS is scripts. When objects are static, they all become part of the big picture and all the polygons which make them up are fixed. When objects are dynamic, they are assigned scripts which allow them to perform as we want them to in the game, to make them interactive.

When a dynamic object has a script, the engine must not only draw that objects polygons, but must continuously read each line of the objects assigned script, checking to see if any of the scripts conditions have been met.

Imagine, in this example, that the computer can read the lines of a given script in one hundredth of a second. Now imagine that you have one hundred dynamic objects running scripts. It now takes the engine one second to read all the scripts. That sounds pretty fast, but it has to be done continuously, and while you're trying to run and gun through the level. The engine does everything progressively. It can't draw the polygons that create the illusion of movement while reading a script. It does one, and then the other.

That's my take on the problem - polygons and scripts. Keep them to a minimum to keep the FPS to maximum. There are many tips and tricks for doing this in the Official Guide. Look it up in the stickies, and since I don't remember seeing you post before, Welcome to the forum.

Best.

I know.... way too much info.

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, very informative but really I was looking for more specific things XD But yeah, everything you're saying makes a lot of sence. Also, I've posted here before, I have a lot of questions about the game and i'm far to lazy to bother with reading the manual because my image viewing program sucks, it'd make me look at each page one at a time, having to close out, open the file, and select the next page each time
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 05:06
why not get abdobe reader? its very good

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have that, I have Adobe Photoshop and it's the only program I have that opens those file types, I'll have to take a look at Adobe Reader.
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 06:55
abdobe reader is free. it can view any PDF file without loading a page by it self every time

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright then. Also, off topic but is there a curret topic open about that bot you mentioned above? Cuzz I'm having a few problems with it.
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 07:13
whats the problem? i can help you here

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it'll be there, but it won't shoot me. I can shoot it and it still does nothing. But then, SOME of the other ones will shoot me and act normal, idk why, they're all copies of the one that worked, but still most won't shoot or move around.
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 07:53
by default fpsc will run entitys that it thinks are closest to you others will be frozen until the running ones have died or have been shot at thus freezing a diffrent one. im not sure how to change this.

Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 07:59 Edited at: 1st Mar 2009 08:09
You know, I love the program, it's great for more simple stuff, but when it comes to complicated stuff and custom content, it's so full of bugs and glitches!

Ok, I got it to work right. I recently downloaded 2 robot models and got the scripts mixed up, that was the problem.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 08:33
Quote: "hmm. i can add many of my robot enemys without a drop in framerate. (i dont mean like the sci fi one but little shooting contraptions)"

If it uses a script it's still gonna slow it down all the same.
Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah but the robot models he's refering to arn't animated so they slow it down less.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 22:46
Quote: "What slows games down the most?"

Women lol

MASSIVE new multiplayer game coming soon!
Scorple
Years of Service
User Offline
wow... seriously...
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 01:31
download the latest patch. I have practically no lag, even with ten enemies that are always active

A single drop of water can mean a drained ocean for future generations

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 07:24:08
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 07:24:08