Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Zombie horde rush

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys

I looked on the manual for this, and did about a hundred searches, but can't find the answer. So here goes:

How do I make a horde of zombies come at me from a great distance? I want to do a level where you hold about 20 waves of 5 zombies per wave off. I tried waypoints... but they don't really work with zombies it seems... I also want the zombies to respawn after death... obviously... 20 times to give it a wave effect. Hopefully by killing the 5 zombies per wave will eliminate the lag factor, and still give the appearance of a large number coming at you.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 06:43
Well ... a Left 4 Dead type zombie horde is drop dead impossible in fpsc if thats what you are after.
Something like this cannot really be pulled off with FPSC's history of bad performance and (no offense) crap AI. Sorry

DarkBASIC Pro. Teh awesumness
Screaming Head Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 06:56
left 4 dead.....great game.....impossible to recreate with fpsc....
enough said

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is your bunny on drugs.
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 07:00
not impossible

-first make or get a bunch o zombies
-set their speed fast like 125 or 130!
-have the player trigger three or four with a zone.
-have them run in from behind corners via way points
-spawn a replacement when the player kills one
-and put max # of spawns to something like 3 or 4

see its possible

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]
Screaming Head Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 07:01
thts a substitution not a recreation.

(\__/)
(O.o )
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 07:05 Edited at: 1st Mar 2009 07:05
well it still works dosn't it?

its better than saying NOPE its impossible

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]
Screaming Head Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 07:10
lol yea but thts not really not what i meant.
i mean you can figure out ways to try to 'recreate' left 4 dead with this engine but its not the same quality. (very far from it)

(\__/)
(O.o )
Congo
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the replies. I know I wont ever get a left 4 dead type of thing going on. This is what I was thinking:

You're in a military bunker with a few remaining soldiers when a horde comes rushing from the dark woods, you must hold them off. Basically zombies with speed at 250-300ish coming fast, on a plain.

Instead of having to walk upto the zombies and have them attack, I want them to come to the player. I know there would be massive amounts of lag if I put even 10, (not even including the soldiers helping you) that's why I said 5 per wave.

Is there a way to change the zombies range of view? not the angle, the actual length of view so they can see you and attack you from great distances?

I hope I explained it better this time. Thanks in advance.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 08:15
Someone had the awesome idea of having several zombie models as one character, RTS style. That could be done.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 10:15
Quote: "Someone had the awesome idea of having several zombie models as one character, RTS style. That could be done."

Surely you'd kill one zombie, and they'd all die, because they're all part of the same model...

AE

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 10:27
Technically, if you're just wanting the zombies to rush you, you can remove most of the CPU-heavy script commands. You'd literally just need to rotate them to the player and move them forward.

It can be achieved, it might be FPSC style and a bit buggy, but hey, I've not seen a decent FPSC zombie horde type fight before, and this could be interesting.

On the model note:
-Several Zombies as the same model wouldn't work because of AE's point.
-It's not necessarily the polycount of the models which causes the lag. I made "enemies" consisting of a textured 12-polygon box, and I couldn't handle more than 10 without lag either.

Might have to experiment and get back to you about the horde.

Paul

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 12:01
Just set waypoints and a trigger zone, when they spawn. They'll sprint down the waypoint straight at the player...

Thank you,
Svothe

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 12:32
Quote: "Surely you'd kill one zombie, and they'd all die, because they're all part of the same model...
"

Yeah, of course. But I'd imagine you'd animate the death anim specially so that they all die in their own ways.
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 15:11
Quote: "Yeah, of course. But I'd imagine you'd animate the death anim specially so that they all die in their own ways. "

It would only have one health value, so when one of the group is shot enough, all of them one die, individual death animations or not.

The main lag causes are the commands for detecting distance. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about that, unless you can find another way for them to cause damage rather than if they're within X distance.

Paul

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 15:22
What about having an animated .GIF imprinted on a single plane (with transparencies)? It would look similar to the old Wolfenstein models, but you could mix in a few actual models in front? Kind of like "billboarding" with trees in a scene that's far off.

-Keith

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 15:38
Quote: "What about having an animated .GIF imprinted on a single plane (with transparencies)? "

...is .gif support a new feature addition, that I missed?

To my knowledge, animated .gif files aren't supported.

It'd be a huge breakthrough, if they were...

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 16:04
Not that I'm aware of; however animated skyboxes aren't either and the EFX Mod people have managed to do it. Perhaps someone out there can come up with what it takes.

DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 00:15
At best, you could set them to always active, and make them respawn after dead

A single drop of water can mean a drained ocean for future generations
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 03:09
Why Not Use The TGC Zombies? They only Have 620 Polys. Set Their Speeds To a high number and spwan alol of them. I can Have 25 in a fully loaded room "10x12-ish" (depending on models) and still have 29-36 FPS on my system...

I don't Knpw if they follow waypoints tho...

New Computer: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80GHz @ 1066Mhz FSB 3MB Cache, Dual Channel 6114MB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz RAM, XFX Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512MB, MSI P7N SLI-FI Motherboard - nForce 750i SLI
Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 03:47
This "Bunker with multiple waves of enemies coming from all directions" was sorta the first thing i tried in fpsc

I watched all the tutorials, then placed a bunch of enemies down hallways of different distances, so the closer they were the sooner theyd come. I gave them all waypoints and had the player sit in the middle.

I turned off fpsc during the testgame process because i thought it froze in game

turns out the frames per second were 2, it wasn't until later I learned the limits of fpsc. also my PC is crap so it goes even slower!

Having 500 zombies in one, open level, crazy. Though u might come close if u spawn them at certain points in an X10 level..... one can only dream

my taste in music isn't weird, its just so amazing your ears haven't quite adapted to it yet.
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 04:56 Edited at: 5th Apr 2009 04:57
All of this is certainly doable, especially in X10. Adding to what Gorba flamingo said, you'd also turn up the zombies' visual and hearing range so they know where you are even from far away. If they know where you are from a distance, then they'll head your way. You could place a trigger zone over an object that makes noise if you step on it and voila you have the equivalent of shooting the car in L4D. Believe it or not, a lot of the stuff in L4D is actually doable (the obvious exceptions are things like the smoker and some others)

Quote: ""Yeah, of course. But I'd imagine you'd animate the death anim specially so that they all die in their own ways. ""

In X10 you'd just turn on ragdoll. No need to make custom death animations in that case.
Also, X10 lets you have 50+ characters at a time and (supposedly) GPU instancing, which allows variations so you can have loads of different looking zombies at almost no cost to performance.

A picture says a thousand words.
--H.K.--
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/
Zay333
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 20:08
Quote: "In X10 you'd just turn on ragdoll. No need to make custom death animations in that case.
Also, X10 lets you have 50+ characters at a time and (supposedly) GPU instancing, which allows variations so you can have loads of different looking zombies at almost no cost to performance"

Man I wish I had FPSC X10

What you see isn't always real....
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 22:54
supposedly? hmm...isn't that one of the advertising points of X10?

Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Well yeah it is. I just say supposedly because I've never seen it in action on recent custom media. Soft particles was also an advertising point but until we really started griping about it, it was only possible to have 1 or 2 in a whole level. Fortunately that's been fixed but almost all of the higher features haven't been thoroughly explored and tested. So they might be buggy and not work without anyone actually knowing about it.
X10 is still much better for this kind of project though, even in it's current state.

A picture says a thousand words.
--H.K.--
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 01:04
GPU instancing is almost definitely in there. There's a demo level that shows it off. Given X9's performance I'm pretty sure it works, there's just no OBVIOUS way to see it, given it is supposed to be behind the scenes

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 07:25:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 07:25:11