Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Transparency - Decals - Blood Stains - True Black - GIMP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I spent all day playing around with GIMP trying to learn about decals and posters/signs and trying to make some parts of an entity transparent. Arg. So many times I read that true black is transparent in FPSC. But no matter what I did, my objects still had the black backgrounds. I was convinced that FPSC could "see" true black. I made a true black texture, saved it as a tga and my object was all black in the game.

I was totally confused until I read IndyDude's tutorial. I made a true black texture, saved it as a JPG and now my object is transparent! However, trying to create a decal with decal.jpg didn't work. But I did find a way to get my decals to work (and another way to get transparency for blood stains without using a jpg that contains black!

For GIMP, start a new document with a transparent background. (File.New.Advanced Options. Fill with. Transparency) Use a red paint brush. Make some squiggly lines. Save it as a .tga. If you texture a box with this, the box will be invisible . All you will see is the red lines floating in space. If you save it as a decal.tga and follow the tutorial for importing decals into FPSC you'll also have the transparency in your 16 frame animation.

It seems simple now but all the talk of adding a Mask layer, adding an Alpha Channel, and using true black had me spinning in circles.
Halfpastundead
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to post on both of your threads about this, but I am still having trouble getting a transparent decal. Mine is a bloody footprint and I have tried with transparent background and pure black. It's even worse now, I used to get the image just no transparency, but now nothing is even showing up. I downloaded a dds on the forum and went through all the steps to create the decal, and it worked. So I know (mostly) for sure it has to do with my DDS. I noticed when I right click on the file in Vista it has a description. Well mine says "dds, 256x256 pixel, 32 bpp, 9 frames" All the other descriptions I read for already made decals have all that, but the -"9 frames" part.

Could this be the problem? I am at a loss and have been trying to figure this out for 2 days. I have to finally ask because I am losing my mind.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 03:25:28
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 03:25:28