Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] half life remake?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2009 03:08 Edited at: 30th Aug 2017 21:27
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 01:48
No, but someone's making a nightmare house. Also you can download a crowbar and half life zombie

A single drop of water can mean a drained ocean for future generations
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 05:28
FPS can't possibly handle anything like Half Life. It would require YEARS with an entire dev team to have anything close to the quality that Valve holds standard to all their games.
Claws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 05:49
Not really, Bendak. Smart and high-quality level design only takes a good level designer. It's perfectly possible to make something similar to Half-Life, or even better. Of course, you would have to be very smart in order to overtake the engine limitations and create something enjoyable. But it's not impossible. Just different.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 10:25
Yeh, but most of the events and weapons, like the gluon gun, and having talking NPCs and interaction between them, would take alot of work...

Look up Black Mesa Source on YouTube, it's a HL2 mod for HL1 in dev that's purely awesome...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 15:33
X10 Can do it. Too bad for us we don't have vista

There is nothing to fear in life , Exsept Ur Mum !
Taz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 22:52
I was working on a project based on Half-Life, but as it's in its early stages i was keeping it under wraps for the time being.
Though i was gonna post about it when i'd developed it a bit more.

You are right that there's alot of limitations, but you eventually find ways of working with/around it.. O.O
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 07:34 Edited at: 30th Aug 2017 21:27
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 18:58
- FPSC is a superior game engine to the original half life in every respect so if you are planning a remake of the original you should be aiming for something much better.

- FPSC X10 could be used to achieve something similar in quality to Half Life 2 with the improved AI and graphics available.

- Every aspect of an FPSC game can be edited and customised. Its totally within your control to produce something comparable to well known games.

- I had a go at this myself and received very positive feedback about the FPSC engine from outside the community so I can't agree with the comment Bendak11 made.

FPSC has a wonderful asset pipeline which should enable you to re produce environments in a reasonable timeframe. Also scripted events are totally possible in FPSC which has always been a trademark of Half Life games and physics puzzles which are equally possible.

One piece of advice I was given which I would pass on is to create your own story and events within the game universe you are concentrating on. That way it will appeal to both casual gamers and fans that can enjoy a fresh chapter of their favourite franchise.
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 06:23 Edited at: 30th Aug 2017 21:27
koolman v2
Years of Service
User Offline
half life and half life 2 are pretty big games

it would take weeks to recreate it

game in devolement want to help email me
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 12:08
Quote: "it would take weeks to recreate it"

It takes weeks to make a decent game anyway .

WizMod Developer.
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 12:19 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 12:21
Seriously guys! If we are talking professional quality then even a mobile phone game takes around 3-6 months to make from concept to release. An AAA-grade PC or console game usually takes 2-3 years to make for the first game and 1-2 years for any follow-ups that mostly rely on the same engine. AAA productions have teams of 30+ men usually (some are even in the hundreds).

You could probably make a level from the original Half Life in a few weeks time if you ripped a lot of the media from the original game - but how fun is that (and how legal is it?).

C'mon, just make your own games and stop copying what others have already done
koolman v2
Years of Service
User Offline
I did a comp last year where I had to recreate the first doom lever
it took about a week It was very boring I think I came 2rd

that was a doom lever.imagie how have it would be to create a half life levr

anyway why the hell would you want to do it.

koolman v2
Years of Service
User Offline
" how hard "

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 13:59
Quote: "FPSC is a superior game engine to the original half life in every respect so if you are planning a remake of the original you should be aiming for something much better."

No it isn't, the HL1 engine is actually more advanced than both FPSC and FPSC X10 in every aspect other than graphics. The areas in which it stands way above either is when it comes to the editor(Hammer) and the amazing event system coupled with the scripting system, FPSC/X10 has nothing even close. Then the networking is miles better and many other aspects that should be obvious.

Quote: "FPSC X10 could be used to achieve something similar in quality to Half Life 2 with the improved AI and graphics available."

HL2?? The source engine is better than FPSC X10 in every single aspect bar nothing by miles, I'm sure this was a joke comment to keep us on guard so I'll keep this short.

Quote: "Every aspect of an FPSC game can be edited and customised. Its totally within your control to produce something comparable to well known games."

Well-known games? As in any AAA title? You can't even make a copy of the HL1 intro sequence, much less the mere credits text that gets displayed during it.

Sure FPSC and FPSC X10 are both 'good', and I'm sure they're nice fun to use and to learn game dev using. But to compare them to engines such as HL1 and HL2 which are both exceptionally good(especially the latter) and have had many years in development by large teams of professional developers who are experts in various fields pertaining to it and work around the clock on its development and have created multiple award winning games using the engines? It's a nonsense claim really, if FPSC and/or X10 can make games comparable to AAA titles of late then where are they? I've not even seen demos that demonstrate anything even close to an AAA game, and no, I'm not talking about graphics here, lots of shaders can't cover up everything.

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 14:26 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 14:28
dark coder: while I do agree with you on most of your points you shouldn't underestimate FPSC that much (the text credits would be easy to do for example).

I have worked with both FPSC X9/X10 and HL2 Source and even though Source has many features it's also a b*tch you constantly want to k*ll. Source/Hammer is designed in a way engines where made 10 years ago when it was ok that a programmer was needed to be ever-present when doing even simple things like importing new models to the engine. It takes several command line tools and a lot of knowledge to import an animated model into Source. Take a look at many modern engines (Unity is a prime example) and you can now have models drag-and-dropped into the game - you can even have your artist edit its textures or animations at runtime while a tester plays the game and getting the updates instantly! Makes Source look completely obsolete.

A guy working at Valve told a friend of mine that they deliberately made Source hard to use so that everyone else at Valve would understand how important the programmers are Having worked on two HL2 total conversions I find this all too easy to believe. But even if I hate Source it is also still possible to make great games with it. I wouldn't go big with FPSC - I would choose another engine from the start.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 16:00 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 16:05
Are we on this topic again?

Well gee lets remake Farcry in X10 and Crysis in X9.(Note to self shouldn't make jokes only I can understand)

HL1 remake?Why on earth would you want to remake HL1 which is copyrighted to start with and you can't share with others.

Half the forum members barely completes a game or half doesn't even use light mapping.So it's fair to say half the users will fail to even attempt remaking anything.

However it can be done to some extent but performance wise the engine will choke before your even half way done the scripting required is insane.

The level designing is simple at best understanding the limitation
of it is whats required...

Quote: "A guy working at Valve told a friend of mine that they deliberately made Source hard to use so that everyone else at Valve would understand how important the programmers are Having worked on two HL2 total conversions I find this all too easy to believe. But even if I hate Source it is also still possible to make great games with it. I wouldn't go big with FPSC - I would choose another engine from the start."
And you believe this guy? Seriously internal tools seem hard to understand and the inner workings is kept to a minimal level designers don't have time to ask what this function does or that

The work relationship between a level designer and programmer is close.Tools are made based on what level designers want the implementation of said tool or feature is left to the programmer
and minimalistic approach is used without any additional bells and whistles which the level designer does not use or want is not implemented tools however has to be created in such away to allow
longevity as well as easy migration to other projects should the need arise.

Quote: "Take a look at many modern engines (Unity is a prime example) and you can now have models drag-and-dropped into the game - you can even have your artist edit its textures or animations at runtime while a tester plays the game and getting the updates instantly! Makes Source look completely obsolete."
Another brainless comment.This has been happening for years.Just also show how little you really understand source.

Quote: "I have worked with both FPSC X9/X10 and HL2 Source and even though Source has many features it's also a b*tch you constantly want to k*ll. Source/Hammer is designed in a way engines where made 10 years ago when it was ok that a programmer was needed to be ever-present when doing even simple things like importing new models to the engine. It takes several command line tools and a lot of knowledge to import an animated model into Source."
I shouldn't have to mention another brainless comment.Source have developed a tool that allows realistic lip syncing with out having to reanimate the model.Source has developed some of the best tools around and the main reason why it's still making money by selling these tools to other developers

Hammer editor is at best what I like to call a level designing heaven the tool as been created to allow easy manipulation
as well as flexibility.

You are seriously irritating me with senseless remarks.It is a known fact that there isn't anything like a true level designer some one that just makes the levels.What we have today is a Hybrid
level designer companies require programming knowledge as well as level designing skills some require modeling as well as texturing skills.Level designers as such 99% of the time do their own scripting on a system like c-script that has been developed by programmers.Which are still that programmers for now.

Programmers on the other hand do not really work on the projects till completion their work is at the beginning of a project making tools or engines ect.They are called on when required to fix a critical bugs.Programmers can be required to work on other areas of the project.

The level designers as such have been dead for nearly 15years or more and will likely change and evolve in future.

Pointless Assault video
http://w13.easy-share.com/1408971.html
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 16:48
Quote: "you shouldn't underestimate FPSC that much (the text credits would be easy to do for example)."

Is it? HL1 text isn't just displaying names for 1 second in a big list, they fade in and out and some of the text even types out with the aforementioned fading. You can see it in action HERE, maybe FPSC can do all that but I haven't seen anything to that effect yet, as there's so many 'projects' to sift through.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that FPSC exists as it leaves a nice door open for indie devs, but when these devs start saying their tools are as good as the stuff the professionals use in their published materials then it's quite annoying. It's basically saying that you can do better than these professionals with little effort and knowledge which completely isn't the case.

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 17:12
Wow, wizard of id... I used to respect you. But the comments you just made are really really low. It saddens me to see your post.

It is fine that you disagree on my opinions and don't believe the quote I give from a guy that I trust but calling my opinions and comments brainless is just out of line.

Have you worked with a modern game engine (like Unity) and compared it to working with Source engine? Have you even worked professionally in the game industry as I have to at least give some weight to your own opinions?
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 17:59
Wow, this is getting slightly out of hand, the way i see it, fpsc was not made to make commercial AAA games, it was a way of letting newcomers to game design have a chance at making a small game, and of course to have fun, you must remember that all of these engines like source or unreal engine cost a load of money, as they are built for next gen AAA games that you will see on the shelves of Game.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 18:50
Quote: "Wow, wizard of id... I used to respect you. But the comments you just made are really really low. It saddens me to see your post."
Lol google Tom Meigs and get his book ultimate game design 346 pages of pure excellence if you count the index pages...

Why do you need to work some where professionally to have a some creditability...welcome to the stone er mhmh digital age of websites ebooks and OMG what is this a hardcover reference book in the library.

By reading books and staying upto date with current trends and checking out any new games and game engines who needs to be a professional when you have all the information you need....

The point you have missed is my opinion is based on facts even if some what in my own words.I struggle to find one bit of credebility
in yours...

I'm straight to the point if I think your comments are utter nonsense I'm not afraid to tell you so...simple really live with it
If I call you brainless it's for a very good reason....

Needing a programmer when a level designer wants to import a entity
is just one of those brainless stone age comments I refer to.

And then you pride your self as a professional.And no I don't need to be a professional to have opinions when I have several opinions
in black in white that I agree with and has direct application in the real world....

Pointless Assault video
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 19:34
If it takes those 2-3 years for a AAA development team to make a AAA title then it might take a while for someone (or someones) to make one using FPSC.
I have found out making a game is a big job and to expect someone to complete a masterpiece in 3-6 months is not going to happen.
Who cares if you make the next Half-Life as long as you have fun with what you are doing.That's what FPSC is all about.

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 19:39 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 19:39
Wizard of id: You really have very little idea of how the professional game industry works. I can forgive you for that since you might only have heard of it through books and game review websites. But get real and at least start where most people do - by reading game business sites like gamasutra.com every day. And learn from it.

By the way, I never wrote I had been a programmer. I have been a (and this will shock you) a level designer. I think I know what a position I held for two years takes. Thanks for your lecture earlier though. I found it sort of entertaining at least.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 20:03
I think some of you underestimate what FPSC is actually capable of.

Sure we all think back on Half Life with rose tinted glasses remembering the awards and original gameplay but if you've actually played it recently you'll realise some of the BOTB FPSC demos are superior.

Regarding the Source engine you should probably read this from the wikipedia page

Toolset
The Source SDK tools are criticised for being outdated and difficult to use. A large number of the tools, including those for texture and model compilation, require varying levels of text-editor scripting from the user before they are executed at the command line with sometimes quite lengthy console commands.This obtuseness was cited by the University of London when they moved their exploration of professional architectural visualisation in computer games to Bethesda Softworks' Gamebryo-based Oblivion engine after a brief period with Source.

Programming
Unlike most modern game engines, Source requires all program code to be written in C++. This is in particular contrast with the Unreal engine and its UnrealScript language that allows code to be written in discrete Mutator units that can be distributed piecemeal. The closest Source comes to this is server plug-ins in multiplayer games that must be installed by administrators—aside from those, even the smallest change to a game's behaviour requires source code access and the creation of a different and quite possibly incompatible version of the game's binaries.

Even FPSC has an integrated scripting language system.

FPSC X10 has only just started being updated so I think in time we will have a game engine that nobody will deny is capable of AAA titles.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 20:53
Nomad Soul:

What does the difficulty and skill involved in an engine have to do with its capabilities?

The fact remains that Source is far more capable than FPSC, regardless of an increased difficulty and somewhat outdated tools.

i like orange
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 23:09
Quote: "Wizard of id: You really have very little idea of how the professional game industry works. I can forgive you for that since you might only have heard of it through books and game review websites. But get real and at least start where most people do - by reading game business sites like gamasutra.com every day. And learn from it.

By the way, I never wrote I had been a programmer. I have been a (and this will shock you) a level designer. I think I know what a position I held for two years takes. Thanks for your lecture earlier though. I found it sort of entertaining at least."
Well since your all high and mighty and I shall bow down at your feet but before I do since YOUR the expert here and I am the NOOB I want to see your half-life level remake even if it is only the level...I'll do the same lets really see who the so called EXPERT is.
12 years as a Indie surely beats no experience at all.

I'm so confident I'm sure I can do a level remake within a week....

And yeah I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is....

And if these screenshots and your games are any thing to go by I got my work cut for....

BTW which company do you work for Imyself incorperated ?

Pointless Assault video
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 23:43 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 23:49
AndrewT

The point is for all its capabilities and features the Source engine cannot be recommended as a development tool due to its backwards approach to actual development.

If a single user can take a $50 game engine and produce something even resembling a game made by a team using a commercial engine in my mind thats a pretty darn good engine.

Thats where FPSC wins hands down over most other game engines both indie and commercial. The only reason Valve work on the Source engine round the clock is because they need to in order to get anything done. LOL
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 00:31 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 01:46
Wizard of id: So you are challenging me to a duel! Man how macho this is becoming And money is in the pot I see. Just wonderful... A discussion about the downfalls of the Source engine has suddenly turned into “who’s better at FPSC”. How old are we here? I have no doubts that you are a hundred times better than I am. There, now that’s settled.

I will answer your final question thoroughly though.
I have been employed as a level designer at Progressive Media, one of the worlds leading privately owned mobile game developers, and I have worked on Mystery Mania (EA), SolaRola (Eidos), http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Mobile/Sheep+Mania%3A+Puzzle+Islands/review.asp?c=6965 (Puzzle Islands) to name a few.
I am currently employed as a teacher in Communication and IT at Tech College Aalborg. I have a Masters degree in Multimedia with my master report being on agile and iterative development in computer game industry with a focus on large scale production. I have the project manager diploma from DADIU, the Danish game development education.
I don’t measure knowledge in what books one has read. You have read a book - I own 30+ books on game development and have read loads more. Who cares? Books on games are typically heavily opinionated and rarely based on solid facts. No book can claim status of being “Ultimate” even if it says so on the front cover.

Please have a look again at Nomad Souls post about Toolset and Programming on the Source engine. It supports my earlier case and contradicts yours. Take a deep breath and think just a little bit about the possibility that I might simply know more on this subject than you do.

Now, rethink if you still would have wrote this:
Quote: "Needing a programmer when a level designer wants to import a entity
is just one of those brainless stone age comments I refer to."

edit: My real point here Wizard is that if you disagree with someone then it is fine to tell them but at least do so in an orderly fashion. Not by writing that what they say is "brainless" and claiming your own opinions to be fact when they too are debateable. I bet that you could write everything here without the flamewar mode turned on.
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 00:54 Edited at: 30th Aug 2017 21:28
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 00:58
Yeah, sorry for destroying your thread
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 02:23 Edited at: 30th Aug 2017 21:28
Gunbarrelguru
Years of Service
User Offline
You know what my problem with FPSC is, and it isn't even the underpowered engine. Its full of bloody British with thier egos so big they get into arguements over whos better at FPSC! Feel free to make a cute American insult to combat me.
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
well i make a remake of i am legend so.....you could try do hl2

divernika
Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 03:05
@Gunbarrelguru: Now that's just flat out uncalled for. I'm American, and many other people here are too, but we get along just fine with Brits (you guys don't mind me calling you that, right?), Frenchmen, Germans, and all other sorts of nationalities. It may just be me, but quite frankly I don't care what country your from, I judge people by their character.

ONTOPIC: A Half-Life remake would probably be possibly. I think people do underestimate FPSC, but that's mainly because it would take a long time to make good-enough scripts and other assets to make a commercial-quality game.

Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 05:00
Quote: "No, but someone's making a nightmare house."

Wow. A reference. Just for that, I will give a few WIP screenshots.

Can you save the crew of LV21?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151512&b=25
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 05:12 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 05:48
Quote: "You know what my problem with FPSC is, and it isn't even the underpowered engine. Its full of bloody British with their egos so big they get into arguments over whos better at FPSC! Feel free to make a cute American insult to combat me."

@Gunbarrelguru, that was COMPLETELY uncalled for, one of my close friends is British, and if it wasn't for the British you wouldn't have FPSC, now lets just leave it at that and let the mods take appropriate action.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol. Childish posts.

Anyways, its VERY possible. Half Life 1 for sure.
HL2 IS a stretch at the limitations though, (as in map size
and framerate due to mass scenery and active scripts).
Never-the-less, in time, this engine could possibly reach
somewhere in the HL2 quality tools section. Just, not completely NOW,
unless you want to work for a decade on that game.

Astek

-Indestructible-

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 15:46 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 15:47
Anyone who thinks FPSC is capable of remaking Half-Life is delusional and/or needs to go back and play it.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 16:27 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 16:35
FPSC is not capable of creating a game like Half Life 1 leave alone anything more advanced.

FPSC just does not hold up in its current engine condition, feature or function set, nothwithstanding other individual and specific differences between their capability as engines.

AI, physics, pathfinding and obstacle avoidance, particles, vehicles, gameplay and NPC interaction - all of these and many other things are inferior in FPSC. Even given that they were not, engine instabilty brought about for many reasons will not allow any attemnpt at such developments to succeed.

If you have a lot of years to spare to attempt things like this you could certainly make a lot of levels and fill it with content.

I doubt you will achieve much more than that in comparison to a game like HL1 which was and is a stunning production.

If anyone can make a game with FPSC that has the same World object set, features, funtions and gameplay qualities of Half Life 1 and can provide the same volume of hours of quality, entertaining gameplay to the same standards of HL1 then I would very much like to see it.

Really without massive resources available to you its just not going to happen and not with FPSC if it does.

When the engines under pressure most FPSC Characters cant even find their way out of a corner leave alone make interesting and entertaining gameplay.

If the "" version if and when it comes along provides more stabilty, decent AI possibilities and much more then some good games may well be possible with FPSC given a massive investment in time and resources. But HL1 quality? I doubt it.

If it could I would have done it myself by now.

And bye the way cool the tone down please and dont be offensive in your posting or the thread will be locked. I would say its already "Doomed" excuse the pun.

If you have something to prove - well off you go and come back in a couple of years when you have made the equivalent of a HL1 game and let us all play it.

250 seamless textures : http://www.umedia.co.uk
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 20:34
Quote: "FPS can't possibly handle anything like Half Life. It would require YEARS with an entire dev team to have anything close to the quality that Valve holds standard to all their games."

Well , in my opinion :

Wizmod - Adds loads of things like water , bloom effects and more (In the new beta coming 25th july)

EFX Mod - Adds massive amounts of water features for height changes , water color changes , water phsics , smimming , bloom and lots more (I think most people already know that)

Any others ?

Lets get one thing straight , You and me both make FPS games by cheating
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 20:57
FPSC has everything required to make a game as good as HL1 from an engine perspective and some things even better, especially graphics.

In regards to performance project blue UM and v115 appears to deliver plenty of content at a very playable framerate.

It would just require a bunch of time to put all the scripts together and AI.

You can argue that it would like bags of time to pull off but that doesn't take away from the fact it is entirely possible.
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 00:01
Quote: "You know what my problem with FPSC is, and it isn't even the underpowered engine. Its full of bloody British with thier egos so big they get into arguements over whos better at FPSC! Feel free to make a cute American insult to combat me"

Wow, i am very offended, i am British, and i am sure i have not got a huge ego, what do you guys think?

Couldn't this be classed as Racism or Prejudice or something?

Sorry, i am not trying to start an argument, but that wasnt very nice.

Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 01:32 Edited at: 27th Jun 2009 03:56
Quote: "The Game Creators - Acceptable Usage Policy

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.

3.13 If your message violates any or all of the points above we reserve the right to take action against you. This can include restrictions such as: Temporary or full bans from our forum."

What gunbarrelguru said is agaist the AUP and it is very offending, I think he should be banned for some time if not, then be put on post-mod.
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 19:53
I plant to make a re-creation of the first level from Half-life(Not the tram bit) in x10, I doubt it'll be anything like it at all... lol.

"Your greatest teacher is your harshest critic"-'Butterfingers'
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 20:29
In regards to the "who's better"-debate; no offense, but I must say that mobile phone games pale in comparsion to the level designs Wizard has shown us the past couple of years, and it also proves that a person outside of the industry may very well have the experience and feel for designing. Sure, working with big game companies might grant you experiences in teamwork, pushing to meet deadlines, etc. It doesn't automatically make you better than everyone else at what you´re doing, though.

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 22:35
Who said you must recreate HL? Come up with something original and you can easily make it then.

[href]http://chargedstudios.netne.net/index.htm[href]
"Im British you muppet!"-Psycho
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 01:45
Roger Wilco: I never claimed to be better at level design than anyone and I am sure that Wiz is better at 3D level design that I am - which I also clearly stated. The discussion wasn't on that subject anyway (it was about the Source engine and its downfalls) and I never posted my info to prove anything on my 3D level design expertise. Wiz simply asked for it so I answered strait up. No more, no less.

Running my latest game superbly on FPSC and Project Blue Mod.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Whoa... Whoa.. Whoa... Heated or what.lol

Quote: "You know what my problem with FPSC is, and it isn't even the underpowered engine. Its full of bloody British with thier egos so big they get into arguements over whos better at FPSC! Feel free to make a cute American insult to combat me."

Thats.. Hilarious. Me being British myself can say, that I don't have a ego, and I don't combat everyone who I think is better than me, hell right now, if your comment is true, I'd be screaming left, right center at a monkey picking his nose.

Anyway to conclude my post, I think that despite FPSC being quite a limited program it does bring alot to the table, you have enough there to make a half-decent game. But comparing it to source a engine which can be used to make nearly anything, without no limits. But FPSC gets the best out of that £50 you spent.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Honestly, Source beats out X10 by FAR. The Source Engine is currently one of the most impressive game be made.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 17:31:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 17:31:22