Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / LAG: Only in level test or also after build?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know that FPSC is not meant for outdoor games, but this has been requested by somebody else, so I have to give her what she wants. Of course, that means I'm running into lag problems. (I'm actually surprised/confused because it often lags inside, as well. I have yet to figure out the precise pattern as to why the game is lagging at some points and not others...) I've been searching the forums, and I saw some options such as invisible segments, which do help sporadically. Also I saw that somebody used AirMod, but I'm not sure exactly how it helps. If more people can confirm it does, though, I might try it.

Before I go about installing other programs, however, I was wondering: Does the lag that is present in the 'Test Level' transfer equally onto the finished Built Game? I'm wondering if, perhaps, I went ahead and made it and then played it on a higher performing computer... would that make any difference? I don't know how else to make this game lag less since it needs to be set outside.

Thank you. Any insight/tips/advice would be appreciated.
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 16:41
Not sure why it's lagging without more information. What are the specs of your system?

Could you potentially re-texture some segments and create the illusion of the game being outside? Create one large indoor room where the outer walls are textured to look like the outside, and then create whatever you need to inside of those walls?
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure if these are the specs you need, but here's what was in the manual:

Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology featuring:
• Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2050
o 1.60GHz, 2MB L2, 533MHz FSB
• Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset
• Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)

1.49GB of RAM

80GB (5400 RPM) Serial-ATA (SATA) hard disk drive

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-224MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean put it in a box so as to not have a sky? Would that look odd? Actually, I'm not sure if that would do it, though, since it also seems to lag in several places inside...
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 19:10
UH OH BIG TIME! your graphics card sucks cause its integrated,and you harly meed requirements with the cpu

A.K.A. djmaster
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Ugh, no wonder! I was wondering if it was the computer since it's about 3.5 years old now and was only about $400. University blows. Shoot. Ummm... so do you think that if it's the computer, it will clear up the lag after I 'Build Game' it and put play it on a better PC? Is there any way for me to know for sure before doing all that besides... you know, buying a new PC, which I can't afford?
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 19:22 Edited at: 9th Mar 2009 19:24
For starters, the integrated graphics chip isn't going to be able to handle the job. You should seriously consider getting a graphics card, one with at least 128 MB of RAM on it (personally, I wouldn't settle for anything less than 256, and I have a 512).

Secondly, buy more RAM. Your machine is running XP Media Center and you only have 1.5 GB of RAM? I'd seriously suggest upgrading to at least 2 GB - more if you've got the budget. Go to www.crucial.com and run the system memory scanner they have. It doesn't cost anything, and it will tell you excatly how much RAM you have, how much is in each slot, how much your motherboard can handle, and give recommendations on exactly what RAM to buy.

If you do these two things, this should help. Granted, your processor and motherboard aren't the greatest and really should be upgraded if you're working on games and graphics, but the graphics card and RAM will go a long way towards alleviating lag.

To answer your question about building the game, the answer is: if it lags in test, it will lag in build - at least on your machine. Remember that software runs based on the machine it is being run on. That said, I'd be really surprised with your machine if it did build any games that are larger than 1 or 2 small levels. Your machine just isn't designed for games (it sucks, yes, but I don't want to tell you something that isn't the truth).
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you have any idea how much this would cost? I'm not sure which type of card to buy. Is there a type you'd recommend? Would I be able to install it on my own, or would I need to bring it in somewhere? I just ask because, as I said, it is 3.5 years old and was pretty cheap quality already. If the price gets too high, I should just start saving for a new PC.

Also, I don't think that I can add any more RAM. It was originally 512MB, and I added up to what was supposedly the max about 1.5 years ago. Will it be alright if I just get a graphics card? Which is more effective in alleviating lag?
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 20:19
Well, I just realized that you are doing this on a laptop. And you cannot upgrade to a graphics card on a laptop. And if you are doing all of this on a laptop, you are going to have to do one of the two:

1. Get a better laptop (not recommended); or
2. Buy a desktop PC

The desktop PC is your best option. I'm assuming you don't know how to build PCs, so my advice is to find a buddy that you trust and have him build one for you. Or you can find a computer/PC shop in your area and have them build one for you. You can get a pretty decent desktop for under $1000. My specs, and I built this myself for under $1000:

AMD 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz (dual core processor)
ASUS GeForce 5500 512 MB SLI Ready graphics card (the weak link in my machine)
2 GB Crucial Technology RAM - with heatsinks
2 80 GB Western Digital HDDs
1 20 GB Western Digital HDD
1 external HDD enclosure (I have space issues)
1 ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
1 Broadcom Corp PC Tower w/550 watt power supply
Windows XP Media Center
1 Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon CPU Fan/Heatsink

This isn't the greatest machine, but it really works. Less than $1000, and I have found only 1 game that I cannot run on it - COD4. And that's just cuz I need to upgrade my graphics card. You will notice I didn't put any sound in there - I had an old POS sound card lying around and it works fine.
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 20:24
i gave 350€ for mine and everythin works,amd athlon x2 4400+(you can get a 6000+ for that money now),160gb hdd,2gig ram,geforce 9500gt1gb

A.K.A. djmaster
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Aww man... Well, I can't get a desktop because there's no way for me to transport it from my university and then back to home, but... I guess I'll have to try and invest in a laptop with as many of those features as I can? Being a student, $1000 is actually a lot to me, but... if that's the only way. What do you think I should do for now? Should I go ahead and try building my game and test it out on a better computer from the school lab? It seems rather backward, but it sounds like the issue is just as much my PC as it is the design...
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 05:32
what about a usb drive
i know its not practical but why not have fpsc on it with all your media and levels and plug it into a good computer when you get the chance to play with it.

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]
Marc Steene
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 18:13
You don't necesserily need to spend $1000. I bought my laptop (Acer Aspire 5920) for less than $600 and it runs FPSC games well, and can run X10 games pretty good too (with all settings off, that is). I get an average frame rate of 27 in both X9 and X10 in medium areas.

My Specs:

1.83Ghz Dual core processor (My weak spot)
3GB RAM
358mb integrated graphics
Vista Home Premium

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Piracy Discussion Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142774&b=21
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
@gorba flamingo: Hmm, I do have a USB drive. Would I just re-install the program from my C:\ drive to my USB drive?

marc steene: Wow, really? So FPSC x9 works alright with Vista? That was a major thing I was worried about with a new computer...
Programador hispano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 06:08
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, Pentium D, dual core each running at 2.8 GHz, 1gb memory and I was using the integrated video card that came with it, I could never get my my games to run more than 20 to 25 fps, but I upgraded my video card to a ATI Radeon PCI Express 3650 which is not not the latest in technology, believe me, it was $60.00 at Circuit City, now now the minimum frame rate that I have seen is 38 fps, and that is outdoor stuff. I also killed a few things that were running in the background of my computer.

...........(o o)........
--oooO--(_)--Oooo---
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
@Programador hispani: Unfortunately, since I'm on a laptop, I apparently cannot update the card. I was wonder, though... let's say hypothetically that I built my game on my computer and then popped it onto something like your computer. Would it run faster, or is it too late because it was built on my computer? I guess I'm not sure how that part works.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 21:22 Edited at: 30th May 2009 04:35
Well if you need to buy a cheap new computer go to

http://newegg.com

I go a computer with
geforce 9800gt 512mb
Intel Q9500 quad processor
4GB of ram
500GB hard
MSI Mother bored
Vista home premium 64 bit

For $750 which is a great deal

(in test game on fps creator i hit x and got an fps of 1039 yes 1039)

kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2009 06:12 Edited at: 25th Mar 2009 12:06
@hockeykid: Sorry I come and go so frequently. Now the laptop is starting to black screen, and I have to manually power down. I fear it's reaching its end, anyway.

Those are awesome specs. What brand/model/etc. was it? Did you just surf the site until you found one with those specs, or did you put it together yourself? I admit that I don't think I'm skilled enough to do the latter...

[EDIT] I was also wondering: A lot of people are mentioning Vista. If I'm using FPSC x9, will it still work alright with Vista?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 05:31:14
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 05:31:14