Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Exporting a Level from MapScape to FPSC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 18:47 Edited at: 11th Mar 2009 18:48
Hey,

There is nice little program called: "MapScape".

Link: http://evolveduk.googlepages.com/MapScape.html

I can export a level to a .X, but will FPS Creator read everything I made in it?

[Light isnt really important, as FPSC can manage that ].

Thanks,

Red Eye Productions

Red Eye - The Game: Work In Progress - W.I.P. Red Eye Productions
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
...well have you just tried it?

before asking something you can try it on your own

... efxMod Developer!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 15:02
The program looks interesting, and made with DBP, so I would think you could import into FPSC, but when I try to run the program I get the dreaded...

Runtime error 105 - File does not exist at line 434

Best.

Strelok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 15:08 Edited at: 12th Mar 2009 15:10
The program looks like a major rip off of 3d world studio

EDIT : Maybe you should try this tutorial , its for 3dws but it might work for that program to ! link

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
IF it works plzz tell me

IV
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Runtime error 105 - File does not exist at line 434"

I had that too, but now it works again... Just install again, and make sure you run from the program files folder

Quote: "The program looks interesting,"

it is very interesting

Quote: "The program looks like a major rip off of 3d world studio "

that is cool right, as it is free

Quote: "EDIT : Maybe you should try this tutorial , its for 3dws but it might work for that program to ! link"

thanks mate gonna try

Quote: "IF it works plzz tell me
"

We will, but i am studying now, so if i am finished i will test it

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 17:30 Edited at: 12th Mar 2009 17:32
I have mapscape for some time and i am planning on making tutorials. I think I will start this saturday. Anyone interested?
The goal of the tutorial is that you can make a whole level in mapscape (with all features) and export it to FPSC.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 18:13 Edited at: 12th Mar 2009 18:17
"The program looks like a major rip off of 3d world studio."

So what. The sad fact is. I think it runs better than 3dws. Lightmaps certainly look better. I'm almost willing to bet he used darklights for the lightmaps. But then again he might have actually used his own shaders seeing that he deals with those as well.
And personally I think it is a great thing to see too. IT goes to show that DarkBasci pro is infact good enough an editor to produce such a product as this. And he released for free.

Could be a good sting to Josh K's pocket but oh well and HAH HA HA.

3dws sucks anyway. I bought it and put it in the closet just after. Mainly cause the exporters suck and the developer too for that matter. If he ever produces an upgrade for 3dws, You could be certain that he will charge good for it. Just like the transition from cartography shop to 3dws. He'll add one or two things then change the name to 3dws Pro or something lmao......Don't waist your money there....

(edit) And even then,,,,Deled lite which is freeware is enough to make 3dws look like a sick retired old dog.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
@tatts: true very true, everything you said is true

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 19:09
@Red Eye....

Yes it's fact. Just like the idea of him adding to the models, I remember when 3dws was first released, There was something posted from him. stating that they will be adding more media to the model section as time goes on. Ha Ha Ha Yeah RIGHT. He added models and textures all right. IN STF format.... that's why people are always complaining about textures not showing up when they export.

And his CSG is a joke. The so called EXTRUDE function is not an extrude fuction at all. Rather it gets the X,Y / X,Z...ect size of the face you want to extude and creates an entirely new cube according to the size of the selected face. THAT IS NOT EXTRUDING
An extruded block is usually ATTACHED to the object that it is extruded from. you could actually move the so called EXTRUDED block as a seperate object.....

The lightmapper is terrible, Not to mention that large maps exported from 3dws could have DATA LOSS. Meaning that when you import your scene into your program. don't be supprised if you notice a cube or two missing.

I could go on all day about 3dws, but i won't.

And to answer your question Red Eye,,,,Yes you should have no problems getting media from map scape into your program.....

Map Scape IS writen in darkbasic....So the object formats are no different then what you already use. Infact it is more compatible to darkbasic or fpsc than all other programs just because the fact that it uses DARKBASIC's exporters.
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love to see a tutorial on how to export it

IV
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 20:22 Edited at: 12th Mar 2009 20:23
@tatts: Again, that is so true, when i downloaded the demo from 3dws, i didnt liked it too... So i went on searching... I think google Sketchup even does a better job. But now i just use blender and 3dsmax and some other 3rth party tools AND ALL THAT OTHER GREAT STUFF AROUND THE INTERNET

Quote: "I would love to see a tutorial on how to export it "

first i am going to make a tutorial on how to make a scene in mapscape (with everything , all features) (2-3 chapters [video tutorials]) then i am gonna make a video a tutorial on how to export it to FPSC. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, i will do this:
Quote: "then i am gonna make a video a tutorial on how to export it to FPSC"

this saturday...STAY TUNED

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope you release a map made with this!

IV
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 21:57 Edited at: 12th Mar 2009 21:57
maybe, but I make tutorials so that you can make your own maps, but i will release some maps...

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 22:18
Quote: "I think google Sketchup even does a better job"

Can we say pointless insult
Sorry mate, I had to say that. You know what I can pull off with SketchUp so I have the right to stand proud for it!!!
But yeah, make some tutorials, since the app described may poke my interestt.

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
@ daarboven: maybe you misunderstood me, but i said it is better, but as evryone know it is the artist and not the program, sorry for my " insult", i also use google sketchup, and i love it... And you are the god around sketchup here

I will make some tutorials. I will start this friday and saturday.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 23:34
Yeah I have to say I like sketchup too. I just don't care for how the models look inside sketchup. I think the lighting sucks.

However there is a program called KERKYTHEA on the net as freeware, And from what I read and pics i've seen, it does some outstanding lighting to sketchup models, RAYMAN on the truespace forums uses and talks about it.

Never D/l nor tried it myself.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 07:15
Tatts - what's wrong with 3DWS's form of extrusion? It achieves the same visible affect. It IS a CSG editor after all, not a modeller. This direction is more efficient for visibility and collision/physics purposes.

As for lighting - I've had no issues with lighting when adjusting the lightmap size and other settings. Do you use the X or DBO exporters? I use DBO for my DBP engine, and it works very well. If you used it for FPSC, I doubt it is a good account of the program. I believe the X format requires a separate model for lightmaps, which may be part of your problem.

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
And does it work demo plzz?

IV
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
@tatts: Very good find! http://www.kerkythea.net/
VERY COOL, and HANDY, and not difficult at all.

@Airslide:

Quote: "If you used it for FPSC, I doubt it is a good account of the program. I believe the X format requires a separate model for lightmaps, which may be part of your problem."

It isnt a sepearated model but a shader you have to aply to your .X in FPSC. (I am talking about MapScape.) But yeah there could be a problem with it yes.

Quote: "And does it work"

I have been doing alot last days. So little time.

Quote: "
demo plzz?"

do you mean screenshots?

No not yet. And maybe never. As I am working on my game.

"Not yet on the forums."

Bye,

Red Eye Productions

muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for telling us about this.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 05:25:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 05:25:47