Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Tutorial Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 15:48
Hi guys

There have been a few contests in recent months and with every new contest there are more and more entries into each one. I am all for the contests getting guys to improve their skills.

Very little is learnt from the contests besides the users that enter the contests.
How about we do things a little different for a change and let’s have a tutorial competition. There is a lot more to gain with writing tutorials for FPSC users that are having a hard time with texturing for example.

Yeah I do agree there are a few tutorials out there so there shouldn’t be a need for some thing like this. But how many of those tutorials really take things to the next level or are very user-friendly and do a proper step by step.

There is so much to be gained by writing professional tutorials for beginners using FPSC that don’t fully understand scripting or animation or importing models or even making segments.

Lots of experienced users had to learn these things for them self’s.

How about we shorten the learning curve for other users and build an excellent selection of tutorials for new comers.

What do you guys think?

Pointless Assault video
http://w13.easy-share.com/1408971.html
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 15:54
If I find the time I could write a scripting tutorial. There's already a couple out there but I could focus on something specific, like character AI, and also explain how the commands actually work in the engine in regards to optimization.

Seems like an awful lot of contests are going on now

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 16:11
I think this is a good idea; let's see who comes on board with it though.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 16:39
Mannn I wish I knew alot more about FPSC. I've been trying to learn about writing tutorials lately. I Even found a way to make a decent PDF too. I was hoping to get some more CRITS about the two that I already wrote in the last two weeks but......

I Just wanted to know for personal reference if they are what people would like to see in a tutorial, and maybe give some opinions on how I can change them to make them better.

Being laid off can be very boring so I have all the time in the world for this........I do have FPSC but I just got my copy not long ago and havent used it more than a couple times.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 16:55
Quote: "I think this is a good idea; let's see who comes on board with it though."

I hope so too

Quote: "If I find the time I could write a scripting tutorial. There's already a couple out there but I could focus on something specific, like character AI, and also explain how the commands actually work in the engine in regards to optimization."

Your are the script master!!!!!

Pointless Assault video
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 19:28
Not a bad idea. I wouldn't mind writing a tutorial on level creation. Maybe a simple 2-floor level with some cool stuff like hidden passageways, spawning items when boxes are destroyed (ala Resident Evil), the difference between dynamic and static entities, etc. Would actually give me some extra practice in creating a level, as well as give back to the community that I have gotten so much from.

oh, and not to take anything away from Airslide, but Plystire is the scripting master IMHO. Although Airslide is a freaking genius!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 22:00
Quote: "Yeah I do agree there are a few tutorials out there so there shouldn’t be a need for some thing like this. But how many of those tutorials really take things to the next level or are very user-friendly and do a proper step by step.

There is so much to be gained by writing professional tutorials for beginners using FPSC that don’t fully understand scripting or animation or importing models or even making segments."

I think that most of them are user friendly, and if they are intended for beginners then they don't need to go to the next level.

Quote: "I think this is a good idea; let's see who comes on board with it though."

I agree that the idea of having a tutorial competition is a good one, but I think it will mostly attract those who have never done one.
After all, he pretty much said that the existing ones are unprofessional.
So, why would those people (very experienced) want to bother with it when he puts down their contributions?

Quote: "oh, and not to take anything away from Airslide, but Plystire is the scripting master IMHO. Although Airslide is a freaking genius! "

Yeah, they are both scripting masters, but more importantly they are engine modders.
Of course scripting is easy for them when they can use their programming knowledge of DBPro to alter the source and edit the FPI itself.

Good luck with this guys.
I hope you fare well.

*poke*

gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 01:03
i may enter depending on how busy my spring break is. excellent idea btw!

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 13:42
@Conjured Entertainment

*poke back*

Lol Sorry It was never my intention to put down any ones tutorials for that I have to say I'm truly sorry.!!!!

However we have to admit there is still a lot of sections that needs to be covered level design for one and a scripting tutorial like a C++ tutorial taking it step for step till your able to code more complex scripts.

For the guys who have done tutorials kudos to you all.!!

I Guess It's a save bet to wait till most of the compo's are done before we start some thing like this.

How much time do you guys think should be long enough for a tutorial compo.Was thinking along the lines of 3 or so weeks.

Pointless Assault video
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 15:08
3 weeks is not enough time to write a comprehensive tutorial on any given subject in FPSC. A simple scripting tutorial may take a few days, but the tutorial example you gave for scripting could take months.

Also, if the contest is going on right now, I need to withdraw due to competing priorities. I am in the middle of about 3 different projects, and that doesn't include time for work or my wife.
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 15:10
I might make a tutorial on how to use Fps Creator but it might take a few days. When does this contest end? And I am not a master. I just wanna create a tutorial on how to use Fps creator. And I am gonna explain a lot of stuff.

I can't texture. I'm not an artist.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 15:46
Quote: "When does this contest end"

Has not started YET we are still discussing the merits of it.I will start one within this week pending how many will enter.

Quote: "Also, if the contest is going on right now, I need to withdraw due to competing priorities."
Sure thing has not started yet like I said were still talking about it first I might start it this week or wait till two or so compos end first or make a 2 or so months deadline.After all it the users that have to enter so it can be tailored to suite there needs to some extent.

Tutorials I know are a lot harder than making a game for a compo it has to be faultless and every one should be able to understand it in lame man terms.

Pointless Assault video
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
This seems a good idea but there a pro's and cons with this.

Pro: You get good tut's from some of the best in there field if they have the time.

Con : You could also get tuts from people who have no clue what they talking about to have a chance in winning.

One way to get around these problems would be that each tut would have to be emailed to yourself and tested out then when the comp is done you then post all entry's that work so the forum dont get filled up with tut's that dont help anyone.

This is just an idea.

Best s4real

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 16:34
hmmh cool idea.!!!I like it however we have to think about format not every one has super duper internet...video or doc/pdf format?

It has to be accessible to the end user?

Pointless Assault video
tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 17:21
To make a PDF is actually easy, Just time consuming. What I did to make my first PDf. Is I used Gimp2 and created a pic with it. I did this with gimp cause you can easily add text and layer in pics to help explain then save it out as a jpg, and use green earth to make a PDF from the pic.

the thread here show's my first PDF.

Physics & A.I. / Vehicle Rigging tutorial for DarkPhysics
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 18:21
I'm entering. And don't say my voice sucks. It is like that.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 18:56 Edited at: 17th Mar 2009 08:14
This is what I have in mind for the compo would guy's like a themed compo makes it a little harder?

Pointless Assault video
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 02:27
I thought it could be video.
I'm out of this contest.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 08:16
Quote: "I thought it could be video.
I'm out of this contest."

umhm what does .mwa or mwf stand for? 10mb for windows media format??

Pointless Assault video
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 18:03 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 15:16
Quote: "umhm what does .mwa or mwf stand for? 10mb for windows media format??
"

I thought it is .wmv. So can I put a 10 mg .wmv? If I can I might enter.

EDIT: I just found out what WMA stands for. It is Windows Media Audio. If I can only put in audio, I don't want to join.

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 20:34
When is this over? Because I might create one, just for fun.

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 21:37
Quote: "When is this over? Because I might create one, just for fun."
It's hasn't started yet we still discussing the merits of running one.

Pointless Assault video
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 18:50 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 22:32
Just my thoughts....

I think it may be too broad as an "any kind of tutorial" contest, and it's going to be murder to try and judge if you get every different kind.

darimc just started a screenshot "challange" where a single genre was selected, and the winner gets to pick the next. The reward is simply getting to pick the next style. I don't know why I like the word challange better than contest, but I do. Perhaps it conveys more about the work and less about the prizes.

Anyway, I was thinking that a single category would be easier to control.

Here is another thought, probably much to complex and far reaching but if it could be pulled off, would be invaluable...

Create an outline/list of tutorials that would cover FPSC from beginning to end. Imagine it to be the "Table of Contents" from a FPSC for Dummies book. Start with the first item and each month/two weeks (whatever) go to the next item in the list. The challange is to write the best tutorial on that list item. The winner is published to the book, which will eventually become "FPSC for Dummies".

Best.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 22:56
Yeah I was thinking about a themed compo but with freedom.In other words horror or action based theme rather than limiting the guys only to write about scripting for example there might only be a few people than can enter.

Picking a genre for games like for example Horror which guys love of this forum one could do a scripting tutorial how about using commands that would enhance a horror type game.

However the problem is now that you have a specific genre the little bits and piece are left out and the tutorial will focus on scripting for horror games and the basics are left out which is the most important part for any person wanting to learn to script within FPSC?

That is why I mostly decided against using themes and didn't focus
on a specific section of FPSC the entries will dwindle if themed or section based tutorials are used.

Optional themes works a little better because you still get the best of both worlds not every one is going to do a themed based tutorial.

You could however still have the themed based tutorial but with an added rule that the tutorial needs to explain the basics first before focusing on the theme however longer deadlines would be needed.

Pointless Assault video
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like a great idea for a comp'.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 08:38
Well guys before we start the compo is there any final changes that you would like to make.?

As for prizes I can only offer custom made segments.I can also speak to Lee to have the best tutorials included in updates of X9 and X10.

If any one else wants to offer something it would be nice thanks a lot.

Pointless Assault video
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 16:31
Quote: "If any one else wants to offer something it would be nice thanks a lot.
"

Maybe I could buy another Sprite pack then I could offer something. ....... If my parents let me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 05:30:57
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 05:30:57