Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:13
Okay, so lemme give yinzes the lowdown.

I am considering making a game in FPSC. All I know is that it is a modern day game. However I need inspiration. Do I talk a walk around or look at other games? I was also thinking of recreating one of my old games (FtC), but I just need a fresh idea. Please help me out here, and take note that this isn't a team request.

Thank you.

Yinzes better redd up this room and I'll buy us some jumbo.
dumpus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:23
Play lots of games. LOTS. If I'm ever low on inspiration, I play some of my favourite games, and it gives me new ideas, makes game design interesting again, etc.

But don't play too much. You might find yourself getting bored of games. If this happens, take a break and do something else. Come back to it the next day.

Best of luck with the game.

madmaz
Years of Service
User Offline
I get my isnpiration from just about anything. literay! if i hear a quote in a movie that i like you will probably see it in one of my games. if i see so sort of scene in a game/movie and if i can make one like it you will probably see it in my game. for a modern day why not take a look at some cop or thrilers movies and play perhaps call of duty 4 or play counter strike fo map ideas.

if you want wav sounds i make them yo can just ask me.

"This time you walk." ever thought why companies that make fps are always so good? it's because they have about 100 to 10000 people working on a single game. ever got that many?
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 20:48
Buy yourself a bunch of paper and a good pen.
Then just write down everything which comes in your mind.
Drawings, characters, sory, level layout.

Then when you have a lots of written down ideas you look trough them and pick parts of it. Let you imagination fly as high as it want.
Dont think "what is possible? What is fun? what is cool?"

Just write down everything your brain comes up with

(I have about 70 A4 sheets full of stuff, everything from models to stories)

And dont even touch FPSC untill you know how you game will begin, twist and end.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 23:28
Also as you're out and about look for sources of inspiration. Imagine what would happen i there was a shootout on your high street or a fantasy creature in your local park. (Don't do this too much as you may arrested/taken to a mental asylum)

[center]
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 01:34 Edited at: 15th Mar 2009 01:35
It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, as long as you finish it this time...

On a more constructive note, you should consider watching movies. I suggest the Matrix series, The Kingdom, and similair flicks.

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 01:59
Quote: "The Kingdom"

That was a really good movie, it will help a lot if your going for some kinda terrorist or anti-terrorism feel. The matrix might help if u want somewhat of a near-future, semi-scifi feel.

Another good idea is to write yourself a little story, determine where each level will take, and then build. like BVG said, writing it out first is key. It may be frustrating but the final product will b a lot better

my taste in music isn't weird, its just so amazing your ears haven't quite adapted to it yet.
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 02:01
Well, most of Private's past games included anti-terrorism etc etc so it reminded me of that movie.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 02:45
I have the basic idea for the first level. I have been helping my neighbor look at his new house some 45 minutes away and it struck me. It looked old (it was dusty) and still needed fixed. It seems like a great idea & I will test it out. Please leave this thread open as I can and will take more suggestions.

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 03:14
So, wait, an old dusty house? sounds like the horror genre startin' up

i dun mind some eerie-sorta horror games like the grungy areas of half-life or fallout, but im not a good help for horror level design

my taste in music isn't weird, its just so amazing your ears haven't quite adapted to it yet.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 04:07
It's like the apartments in HL2, only....not HL2 quality.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 05:31:12
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 05:31:12