Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / First attempt at an RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 20:25 Edited at: 17th Mar 2009 20:25
Hi guy's, new here, well I mean new to the 2D board. Anyway, I've alwayed wanted to create my very own RPG, just never got round to it. So I'll give it my best try and heres what I made so far:

Note: I've borrowed tilesets and charsets of the net from something call RPG Maker, never used it though. These are just place holders.

My first question is not how, not even basics, but Event system ideas (only found a few in the search but nothing really worth looking at). I work like to see a few Event system ideas and how a user would create an event based on the system (don't have to go into detail), then I can compare mine with them and see what you guys think.

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 04:41
I understand what you mean. At first i though of using complex functions nested each other and other bizzare code. Then i found this...

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=lua

read some articlewsd about it, and realized that would be more easier and helpful. Do some research on it via google.

Now, my idea of implementing it is still kind of primitive (i haven't reached that stage of dev), but right now i would approach it using scripts, calling each scrip part whenever i want to do some sort of change on the game, like changing maps, calling up a battle or even what the chat box displays when speaking to an npc.

How would be your approach?

Further on my stuff at...
TurboSquid.com
The3dStudio.com
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 15:07 Edited at: 20th Mar 2009 15:10
Ah those tiles bring me back. I used to be insanely addicted to RPG Maker XP, great piece of software.
This looks great though.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 21:44
Alucard94, I only found out about this from a friend the other day and I have to agree, it's not half bad.

Zergei, I've got a script system I can use from my other project (Fallout 3 Remake, which is on hold at the moment).

Let me quickly tell you about my engine cause this isn't a common one. I've set my sights high as I usually do but I find I improve best when challenged. Anyway, when I look around for info on how to create tiles and set up maps I noticed that they where set up oddly. Something like this:

I maybe completely need to the 2D game thing, but why are people setting this up in this way, you have to do this for each map, plus it's a bit limited, all are say is this is not the way forward, it should be made in a way that most of the content is made outside of the engine or produced by an editor without looking at a line of code, only scripts. Once I’ve cleaned up my code i’ll show you what I mean.

The way i've created my engine lets me create maps of infinit size while only using 20x15 Tiles * 5 Layers (the fifth layer is the event layer, where I can set events to tiles) of sprites (minus blank sprites) while using 1 loaded image for the entire map. I can even create all my maps using text files without setting up anything before hand (like collision or anything of that nature).

NPC’s don't have a set path or event (ish), rather they have thresholds that tell them what to do. So if a farmers hunger threshold is at it’s limit he we’ll go home to eat, if theres nothing at home to eat, he’ll go to the nearest shop that sells food to stock up and go home and eat.

NPC events work by event type, so if it’s a message event they will still conitue doing what they are doing until the event is triggered, like you talking to them. If it’s an NPC task like shopping and eating, the task event threshold will carry those out, or be shifted to the top of it’s event list by other thresholds.

Best way to think of it, is a 2D version of Oblivion (in the way NPC work). But because NPC's will dynamically do things on there own i'm having difficulty trying to figure out how to setup the event system, once it's in motion it's simple but the intial stage is hard.

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.
Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 03:57
The example you provide is mostly used when one hasn't many maps. Like in games made for compos.

I've built myself a map creator/editor. I just paint the tiles where i want them to be, save it and then load those files on my program. Later on i'll make a script do the "which map to load" process, but for now thats all i'be got.

That engines of yours seems pretty capable.

Quote: "But because NPC's will dynamically do things on there own i'm having difficulty trying to figure out how to setup the event system, once it's in motion it's simple but the intial stage is hard."

I kind of lost track there... you'd like me to explain to you how i'd design a system for managing npc events?

Further on my stuff at...
TurboSquid.com
The3dStudio.com
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 15:08
I think I lost track also, sorry. Let me clean up my code then are see if I actually have a problem. Also are post a demo of what I've made so far.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 18:48
Hi again, could someone test this please and tell me the FPS. I'm tring different methods of how to produce a map and which gives me the most functionality, but speed might be an issue for some. Thanks in advance

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 19:31
290 FPS

specs:
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 20:14
Cheers Nomad, I get the same. Should of noted that you were looking at 3 layers of tiles by the way. With this method I could make a hugh map while only using a single tileset image and a single sprite. I'm just wondering, what is the fastest way to produce a large tilebased map?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:51:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:51:58