Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Question about Dark GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Do all companies uses Dark GDK? companies like EA: Games, Blizzard, Crytec and all famous companies?
if not, what they uses? I wanna know what they use so I can start learn it.
thanks in advance. (sorry for bad english)
vocebello
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 23:24
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm positive they use C++ and direct x, or opengl sdks to create their engines.

DarkGDK is a direct x wrapper, making it easier for people to code games. Essentially trimming 50 lines of code in a standard direct x c++ program to 2 or 3 with DarkGDK.

[ freelance DarkGDK coder ]
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 01:10
C++ is used by companies like EA. Most of them write there own engines like DarkGDK, so you wont be able to use them unless you work for them.

Xoddam
Years of Service
User Offline
dark gdk hasn't been around for a really long time. most gaming companies will not use a free peice of software to make games. they either will buy expensive, high end engines or like AlexI said they will make their own, so unless you have money to spend on expensive engines or have proficient knowledge in writing game engines, stick to the GDK to learn and get the hang of programming.
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 18:32
C++ is not what you make the game with. It is a programming language. Although C++ is the industry standard, it is perfectly possible to write games just as good in C#, and smaller companies often do. Other might use objective C. These companies will still use DirectX or OpenGL, which is what practically all games are made with, and is the library, that C++ isnt.
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
They usually write the engine in C++ using directx or opengl (both are free), you just need to know c++.
G0DL355
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 03:53
Basically, DirectX and OpenGL use libraries similar to like Dark GDK use, but obviously to a more complex and detailed degree.

C++ will use terms like 'float' and 'int', just like Dark GDK uses to define float numbers ( eg. 0.01 ) or integer numbers ( 1, 2, 3 etc.) in conjunction with these to work properly.

If you've installed the dark gdk properly, go to All Programs on the Start Menu, and check out Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007), and check out the documentation there. It'll introduce you to the syntax's and prepare you for the kind of data input you'll need to learn.

Start with a C++ basics book, one that teaches you about GUI's, and see how you like that (not C++ for Dummies - it only teaches command-line programs).
I personally prefer C# to C++ as a language (C++ is VERY old...) but experiment and see how you get to grips with it all.

The very best of luck =)

G0DL355

--------------
So Endeth What Was Begotten From That Moste Darkest and Forgotten Of Times...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 21:28:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 21:28:29