Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Ambient Lighting: Compensating for varied monitor brightness?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 01:50 Edited at: 28th Mar 2009 03:25
So, I have a question for people who have lower ambient lighting in their games. My current scene is near dusk, so the lighting is meant to be lowered, but you can still see everything fine even without any additional light fixtures. However, I tested my game on another PC today, and on that screen, everything was much, -much- darker to the point of being almost completely pitch black, even when the monitor was at '100' Brightness.

My question is: Is there any way to account for this? I did not want a nighttime game, but depending on what computer it gets played on, it might turn into one. I tried adjusting in-test with the ">" key, but it only went so far, and I wouldn't want my players to have to adjust it, anyway.

My current settings are:
Fog Active: 1
Fog Red: 0
Fog Green: 0
Fog Blue: 0
Ambience Level: 50
Ambience Red: 50
Ambience Green: 50
Ambience Blue: 50

Do these sound like reasonable levels for what I'm trying to accomplish? I guess I don't know if my primary screen is more representative (meaning: the values are reasonable) or if it's the secondary screen (meaning: the values are way too low). I don't just want it to work on my screen, it has to work on others, too. I also included a shot of the game. On my current screen, I can see down into the room all the way to the floor. On the other screen, when looking at the same shot, it's basically all black. How much can you guys see? (EDITed to focus predominantly on the floor. Is there anything more than black to you guys?)

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 05:25:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 05:25:47