Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Does FPSC render the whole level or just what the Character sees?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Iam looking to create a huge outdoor level and i was hoping if i could find ways to allow the renderer not to render parts of the scene until the character gets there or is viewing that part of the map. Is there anyway to accomplish this or does fpsc renders every little detail no natter if it is in distance of the player or not?
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 20:55
Some commands have a LOD like command causing the entities to disappear if the player isn't near. It can easily be done with the visible=X and plrwithindist=X, where X is what you want.

-FCV

Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 21:00 Edited at: 29th Mar 2009 21:00
it renders everything the player sees and anything he/she could see within rotation or moving a few metres

Not in cruelty, Not in wrath The Reaper came today;
An Angel visited this gray path And took the cube away.
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 21:04
...Unless a script is used when the player is within a distance, it renders the entity, I've used it before and saved a few framerates .

-FCV

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 22:50 Edited at: 29th Mar 2009 22:52
FCV what are you talking about? There isn't a command called visible=x or anything like that(or any LOD commands either btw). Do you mean like the entity loading/unloading system?

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 22:52
Probably.

Doesn't FPSC automatically build portals?

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 04:04
FPSC uses a portal culling system to keep the minimal amount of entities/segments viewed by the player rendered.

As far as I'm aware, there is no LOD system. An LOD system will make further objects have less detail (in polygons and in texture resolution) and FPSC does not do this.

The one and only,

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 06:51
X10 has LOD on some characters, but I've never looked into how to use it, and if it works on standard entities. Regardless, it is not yet a feature of X9.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 15:59
Quote: "X10 has LOD on some characters, but I've never looked into how to use it, and if it works on standard entities."

Really? I thought that LOD requires multiple versions of a model i.e. high poly and low poly to use depending on player distance from them. I can't see evidence of more than 1 model file for characters or entities in X10. Perhaps its using something more clever to achieve this.

In any case it would great if anyone has time to look into that so we know how to take advantage of it for all characters and entities in our games for maxing performance. Might even allow for good densely populated environments like jungle / forrest in FPSC which would be awesome.

There was a newsletter a while back which talked about a new FPSC technology where static entities could be introduced with no collision so we could have things like grass and shrubs without a huge performance hit but never heard anymore about it.
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 18:02
Quote: "FCV what are you talking about? There isn't a command called visible=x or anything like that"

>.< I'm getting mixed up with GM again . Sorry but I thought there was an action known as visible=x, maybe I was thinking wrong.

-FCV

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:15
Quote: "There was a newsletter a while back which talked about a new FPSC technology where static entities could be introduced with no collision so we could have things like grass and shrubs without a huge performance hit but never heard anymore about it"

Unfortunately as far as I know we have no auto or easy means of populating a scene with large numbers of grasses, trees, etc as yet.

Still if you want to do this manualy you can and possibly use Load and Unload entities to help reduce impact on fps. Not sure how well it would work or if at all.

Regardless of that a large number of trees for instance in the case of a forest in an outdoor level say should be possible in FPSC without a serious hit on fps.

The use of such comes back to the same issue of Character drain on fps as no matter how well FPSC can handle large numbers of other kinds of entities once one introduces Characters the fps will drop off quickly and in such instance the more non character entities you have in a level the greater the impact will be will be on engine performance once Characters start being introduced - pro rata.

i.e. the more Characters you want the less of everything else you can have.

Perhaps the migration version will improve the situation in some or all of these areas but we wont know until it becomes a reality.

See the attached screen shot of my Ally test level to which I have added some extra grass and a few more trees. This uses the latest Beta. There are six enemy Characters plus one Ally and the player (weapon) in the level. It just about plays OK at 18fps lowest fps at start when all are alive and active, rising to 36fps when all Characters are dead including my Ally friend. Grass and trees have no affect here when no enemies exist. 36 fps is the max I would get in an empty level. You should be able to at least double the density of the foliage seen here without any real impact. There are no real optimisation techniques used in this level. You might be able to Load and Unload foliage entities on player proximity to good effect.

Filling a whole outdoor FPSC level with dense foliage would be a worthwhile test - not sure if anyone has done it?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:26 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 03:30
i kind have done it in the way that there was the appearance of dense foliage, also: i had seen a game with individual grass blades, ill see if i can find it.

EDIT
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=139338&b=25

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 07:26:52
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 07:26:52