Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / TGC Store - Genre Configuration Utility

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 06:14 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 17:18
TGC Store - Genre Configuration Utility

What is it?
The TGC Store - Genre Configuration Utility (or "Store Sorter" for short) is an application designed to make it easier to find your freshly purchased game assets in FPS Creator by categorizing them based on genre, not artist. If you've ever spent more than a minute searching for one store asset - maximizing and minimizing different artists' categories - this tool is for you!

How does it work?
You simply provide your FPSC directory, and it automatically scans your "purchased" entity category for TGC store downloads. It populates a list, complete with icons and artist info, for you to browse. You then select an entity, choose a genre and sub-category (character, item, weapon etc) and hit transfer! It's as easy as that!

Now, when you open up FPS Creator, your entity will be under the genre you specified (with the prefix "store") rather than the artist's name! It may take a little work to set up ALL of your assets the first time, but subsequent times will be faster, as you don't have to redo previous entities.

Does it remove my original copies?
No. Versions 1.0 and 1.1 did, but as of 1.2+ this is no longer the case. In V1.2 your files were renamed for backup purposes, but in V1.3 they are now kept exactly as they were. In order to prevent them from popping up on the program's list again, however, a config file is added to your FPSC directory with a list of all transferred assets. The program sorts through this list to determine if an entity has already been transferred, and if so, does not show it to you.

This approach has been taken in order to avoid accidental data loss and to allow pre-existing levels to work properly.

What does it look like?
See for yourself!

Where can I get it?
Version 1.3 (Media Fire) (ZIP) Recommended
Version 1.1 (Forum) (Installer by AaronG)

Changelog
Version 1.3
*No longer renames FPE's to FBK
*Adds transfered items to an exclusion list instead
*Above changes fix missing content error with pre-existing levels
*Added routine to automatically rename existing FBKs back to FPEs and add them to the exclusion list
*Fixed some minor bugs

Version 1.2
*Extended texture search routine to include _D/_D2 inconsistencies
*Extended texture search routine to grab _N and _S files
*Above changes fix shaders breaking
*Added disablelogo field to config; set to 1 to remove left-hand logo
*Above change allows for larger view of entity display
*No longer removes any original files
*Original FPE is renamed to FBK
*Above change is for backup purposes. Rename FBK back to FPE to restore functionality
*Added msvcp71.dll to archive
*Added Egyptian, Western, and Vintage Genres

Version 1.1
*No longer removes models/textures from purchased directory.
*Above is temporary fix for models that share textures

Does it support segments?
Currently no. Because of the way I set things up it will probably be easier to make a separate version for segments.

Disclaimer:
This application has not been tested under all conditions and may malfunction and possibly result in the loss of data. It is recommended that you backup your store purchases before using this application. Airslide Games is not liable for any damages or monetary loss.

Please let me know of any bugs. Comments & Crit welcome!

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 06:22
I love you.

Haha, in all seriousness, this is great. I still have yet to try it out. Was this done in VB6? If so, write some tutorials!

Click above to sign up for the Axifer Designs Dev-Team!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 06:25
Glad you like it (or the concept, given that you haven't tried it)

It was actually make in Dark Basic Pro with BlueGUI for the windows interface.

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 06:27
Yeah I figured that out after I downloaded it.

Well, I'm on Windows Vista, 32 bit. It loaded, and asked for the FPSC Installation directory. It already looked correct so I hit "OK". It then said "Path does not exist" and crashed. So, I edited the config file pasting the correct path into the specific line. It still claims Path Does Not Exist, and crashes.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 06:31
That's weird

It shouldn't even get that far without returning a custom warning message. Could you tell me the line number?

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 06:37
Runtime Error 8003:Could not find path at line 255

That's it.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 06:41
Strange, there's a check to see if the path exists before it even gets there.

Try this EXE attached here (put it in the same directory as the normal download, as I didn't include the images) and tell me if you get a "PATH DOES NOT EXIST" error message, followed by the name of the directory.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 06:59
Got this error...

Attachments

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 07:02
Nevermind, the problem was on my end. Haha, the purchased folder didn't exist, I forgot I moved the files manually.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 07:07
UPDATE:
Click Here to Get it

Changelog - V1.1
*No longer removes models/textures from purchased directory.
*Above is temporary fix for models that share textures

@AaronG - Glad you got it to work

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 07:19 Edited at: 30th Mar 2009 16:45
Hey, just figured I'd throw together a nice installer for this. (with the newest version). I have a commercial use installer so there's no ads and such. I have it attached, it also puts an shortcut on the desktop with a custom icon. Let me know if you like it.

Icon preview.

Installer attached.

Attachments

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 16:48 Edited at: 30th Mar 2009 17:22
Sweet!

For the next version though, I think the icon should be named "Store Sorter". Locater would imply it's finding the store for you

Anyone else interested in this?

EDIT: Next update will add Egyptian genre (and any others suggested) plus I will make it load the FPE's at startup, so it can check all the entities before deleting the textures/models, since some share textures (1.1 has a temporary fix that simply doesn't delete the original textures/models)

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 20:59 Edited at: 30th Mar 2009 21:03
Make sure to mention the fact that they need MSVCP71.dll to run this program as I've tried running it and it tells me I don't have it installed. You can download it from here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcp71.

Also, the ability to resize the app (perhaps resizing the main window).

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 01:42
Dang it! I'm not sure what keeps throwing that requirement in there. I'm pretty sure it is one of my plugins. Aw well, I'll include it with the next release.

Anyhow, next update will be in a couple of hours probably. Is anyone else using this? I see the download ticker increasing (and that's only on the mediafire link, can't tell what it is for the installer) but only two people have replied

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:24 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 17:07
I hate double posting but I figure an update is always worth it - especially for those who come to the thread but don't post

EDIT: Updated, again. Didn't want to bother triple posting. But please, if ANYONE is using this, let me know. It determines the future of other tools I create, quite possibly including a rewritten Decal Maker.

Update V1.3
Version 1.3 (Media Fire) (ZIP)

Changelog
Version 1.3
*No longer renames FPE's to FBK
*Adds transfered items to an exclusion list instead
*Above changes fix missing content error with pre-existing levels
*Added routine to automatically rename existing FBKs back to FPEs and add them to the exclusion list
*Fixed some minor bugs

Version 1.2
*Extended texture search routine to include _D/_D2 inconsistencies
*Extended texture search routine to grab _N and _S files
*Above changes fix shaders breaking
*Added disablelogo field to config; set to 1 to remove left-hand logo
*Above change allows for larger view of entity display
*No longer removes any original files
*Original FPE is renamed to FBK
*Above change is for backup purposes. Rename FBK back to FPE to restore functionality
*Added msvcp71.dll to archive
*Added Egyptian, Western, and Vintage Genres

EDIT:

Just for any who are interested, a cleaner, reprogrammed version of this will likely be developed alongside an AirMod toolkit. The toolkit will include tools for setting up and testing AirMod features like ironsights, and will expand to include AirMod Special Edition features (ex: particles). It will also have useful tools (like this).

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 06:31
Wow. One download. Second page of the forum. No apparent interest. Well, ironically, I guess it is aimed towards lazy people (don't want to shift through the entity library) so it makes sense that they are too lazy to look at it

In all seriousness though, it's a sad day when I have to triple post for an app that in my personal opinion (and perhaps totally biased but none-the-less) is an extremely useful utility for those of us who like to develop quickly...

It will be in the newsletter though, and then I suppose I can count on a bit more interest

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 11:38 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2009 11:40
I think it's a great little app, I can't think why there isn't that much interest

knxrb

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 23:41
This is really nice Airslide, I have a copy of BlueGUI 2 sitting around somewhere on my hardrive. Time to find it

Downloading now...

DarkBASIC Pro. Teh awesumness
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 18:02 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 18:04
This is worth bumping up. I'm using it for the purchased store items. I'm using another app that I will not mention here for all the other items.

The app is also mentioned in the current newsletter (just out).

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 20:35
Thanks for this.It's definitely making entities easier to find.

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 22:25 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 22:26
LOL I just heard about this right after I sorted all of my entities by hand. And I have not organized them since I got FPSC in 2006.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 02:36:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 02:36:29