Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Ummmmmmmm

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am making a big game I plan to sell and have just started the 3D modeling,level design,ect.

As I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling I thought to myself, " HOLY $@&@ I DONT HAVE VOICE RECORDING STUFF!"

So now Im here,wondering how I can record voices for my game in FPSC DX10 formaT.Plz help and look 4 my game on Steam in 2010 or 11

Halo rocks
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 10:24 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 10:28
Well, first thing you need is a Microphone, a headset with a microphone or a goosneck microphone such as this one would be the best option for you if you don't want to go into more expensive stuff.

If you do however want to get expensive hardware to record high quality audio you could get a mixer, or an external usb audio card with mono plug input's. And a microphone, prices for professional microphones can vary from 80$ usd and upwards, more expensive, more quality i guess you could read some reviews and decide that way what microphone you choose. And you'd probably need a mono plug - XLR cable to connect that kind of microphone to the soundcard/mixer.

The other thing you would need is an audio recording program, a free one i can recommend is Audacity. Personally i use Flstudio to record and mix audio (but it's 199$ for Flstudio, and it's used for composing music, not just recording audio).

Hope that helps a little

in Austrlia, there is a really red sun, u got a red sun in sky too?
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 01:43 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 01:44
I am honestly doubting that you are making a huge game that will be available in Steam with top notch graphics and everything. This is basic stuff that you are requesting to know, and any 'top notch' developer would know these simple answers.

Another thing is, games that are available in Steam are made using the Source Engine. Steam doesn't buy games out of the blue, if they do buy games to sell at all (which has little to no chance of happening, by the way), you have to be partnered with Steam, and you have to make, bluntly stating this, a genuinely decent game. Those big developing companies have groups of 15-25 (sometimes a lot more) people working on one specific game, not just one person.
Don't get me wrong though, there are some indie games available on Steam, just, the people that make those games, for example, are capable of using proper grammer (no 'plz' or any of that type of text).

One more thing out of me: The guys over at Steam do not want a lousy game created with FPSCreator X10, rather they want a decent scripted game for more versitility and stability. Scripted games (made with C++, C#, VB [yes, there are actually a few commercial games made with VB]) also show that you have superior training in game developing, and are capable of producing a top quality game.

I know, I'm an ass. Just telling you what you need to know as a developer.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 02:04
Well, somebody had to say it and I pretended to not notice the thread.

Speaking of which, what a descriptive title. I'm sure it would be pretty fun with a forum full of threads like: "Ummmmm", "???", "help!", "noob question" etc. titles. I love those.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Come on guys let's try to be helpfull and not bash the poor guy, he'll find out sooner or later

in Austrlia, there is a really red sun, u got a red sun in sky too?
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 03:41
Quote: "let's try to be helpfull and not bash the poor guy, he'll find out sooner or later"

Hah! Alright, I guess I can try..

Yes, a few things you would need (which Lucifer stated): A Microphone (a dynamic microphone is a good choice for people just getting started in the music world), an audio interface (USB is recommended for beginners, jsut because it is very easy to set up), and some type of recording software.

Microphone- The most durable and most preferred dynamic microphone, in my opinion, is the Shure SM57. It has great sound quality and it is fairly inexpensive (expensive for a dynamic microphone I suppose though... personal preference really though). Also, with a dynamic microphone, you can also record acoustic instruments cleanly. I've never tried it with a percussion instrument or an electric guitar, or anything along those lines.

USB Audio Interface- This device is used to, basically, plug in the microphone to the computer and make it ready to record and such. However, audio interfaces don't stop just at that. Many have built-in effects and such which sort of alter the sound and make it a higher quality.. Hmmm, maybe somebody can explain this a little better for me? Oh yeah, one more thing, when looking for an Audio Interface, be sure to get a low-latency kind*.

Recording software- This is pretty self explanatory. The recording software actually takes the sound from the microphone and creates an audio file out of it. There are actually many great free programs for this. Audacity, as Lucifer stated, is great for beginners and, actually, some professionals may prefer this application for its ease of use use and overall stability. Another program that I found a while ago is an application called 'Wavosaur'. It is not very well known, however, it is pretty straightforward and also very easy to use. It also have a lot of features built into it, such as VST effect support (Audacity has this too, but Wavosaur's is a bit easier to use in my opinion) and certain kinds of displays for maximum audio displays and such (not really for beginners per-say, but I find it useful).

Hope you found that a bit more helpful.

FoeHammer 777
Years of Service
User Offline
Thinks for being an ass.It helped.I am coding my game with C++,I was just looking 4 a cheap solution to voice recording.

Halo rocks
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 02:03 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2009 02:17
Alright then, I'll try and help even further.

Decent Cheap Mic - Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Microphone -Link - $20

Probably the best (in lower prize ranges I mean) USB Audio/MIDI Interface you can get - M-Audio Fast Track Pro Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface - Link - $200

Multi-track Recording Software - Audacity - Link - FREE

Thats the cheapest your gonna get. Don't believe me? Well then don't. Just telling you what I know as a professional (Well, you know what I mean lol) artist.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 01:32:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 01:32:03