Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / I'm new to this. lol please help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been messing around with GDK for the last couple days. I decided that I wanted to try and make a 3D game for fun. So I looked at the tutorials given.

The problem is I can't seem to do anything useful because I don't know the commands. The tutorials do not have what I need to create a 3D game. I've googled 5 to 10 different searches both involving visual c++ and dark GDK and have not found much help. Am I missing something?

So far I've managed to load images, sounds, and use the left and right arrow keys to active them. (wahoo lol) yes only the left and right arrows(& control and space) b/c that's what the dark invaders example used. Is there a list of which keys are which values for the dbKeyStates?

My experience with programming is minimal, I took a c++ course, but I have no experience with object oriented programming.

Any suggestions? If there is a good tutorial site, or even just a list of commands that would be helpful.

Thanks
Jordan
go2none
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 16:26
For gdk commands try:

Start > All programs > The Game Creators > DarkGDK > Documentation > Information

Key table:

http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/howlinuxworks/linux_hlkeycodes.html

or just google 'keycode table'

Hope it helps.
silenus
Years of Service
User Offline
have you done all tutorials from GDK?

Quote: "dbScanCode
This command will get the scancode of the key currently being pressed."

Use this to get the scancodes of every key you press and print it with dbPrint to the screen...
And search the documentary...
jgg8588
Years of Service
User Offline
go2none: Thanks! Idk how i missed this but the documentation really helps. i didn't know that the keycode table was called that. I had been googling things like "input commands dark gdk" with no luck.

Silenus: I didn't get through the last few tutorials dealing with the terrain and shaders because I hadn't needed to yet. I'm still just playing around with basic commands. I didn't realize there was a documentary before...lol.

Thanks for the replies!
Jordan
Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 23:13
Actually, it's easier to include "dinput.h" and have every key imaginable preset as a definition. For example, the 'w' key would be DIK_W and the 's' key would be DIK_S. Space might be DIK_SPACE, but i'm not sure. This method is easier than using dbScanCode to get all the keys you need or going to a table on the internet every time you need to know a key. You can also look in the header to find a certain key.

#ifdef _DEBUG
FixBugs(All);
#endif

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 21:32:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 21:32:44