Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Seller using ILLEGAL textures!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
I logged into the Gamecreator Store today only to find a selection of new segments by c3s. These textures are are not his!! they are the work of Dawid Michalczyk at www.art.eonworks.com. I know his work as i've been a big fan of his work for years. He is a professional artist, and has created textures for numerous games.
I have attached a zip file of the textures he has cut and re-used for his segments.

The segments he has used these textures on are:

sci-1p1-0063 using the top part of Dawid's texture.
http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/texture/sci-fi_texture-200049.html

sci-1p1-0062 using all of Dawid's texture.

sci-1p1-0061 using all of Dawid's texture.
http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/texture/green_wall_textures-200508.html

sci-1p1-0047 using two of Dawid's texture.
[href]
http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/texture/texture_game_gallery-200043.html[/href]

sci-1p1-0043 using the outside of Dawid's texture.
http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/texture/floor_texture-200013.html

sci-1p1-0034 using the middle part of Dawid's texture.
http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/texture/sci-fi_panel_textures-200505.html
http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/texture/wall_panels_texture-200047.html

as I said I have been a fan for years and as soon as I saw these textures I knew they were NOT his!!!
This is illegal and I hope his account will be terminated, and he will be dealt with!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
that is clear

Red Eye - The Game: Work In Progress - W.I.P. Red Eye Productions
Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 22:38
And this Guy named "Bloodhound2" sells Segments using Filterforge Textures.

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 22:43 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 22:43
Quote: "And this Guy named "Bloodhound2" sells Segments using Filterforge Textures"

dont think this is illegal...

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Woah. I hope this gets resolved/the guy gets banned etc
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 22:45
An email has been sent to Lee, let's see what he says.

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 22:46 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 22:48
Quote: "dont think this is illegal..."

And I don't think that it's legal to sell Textures that are not your own Property.

However, it's not my Business.

pc nerd
User Banned
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 22:49
yea, i also know most of all thease textures are in reality factory wich means either he put them there or they stole them, wich i dont belive, or he did not even make them.so i would download reality factory and then look at all the textures in it. i know for a fact i have seen 5 of the said textures from his site that are in reality factory.

dweeb
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 23:01
Quote: "And I don't think that it's legal to sell Textures that are not your own Property."

i mean if you bought Filterforge, i think you can use them

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 23:04
Quote: "i mean if you bought Filterforge, i think you can use them"

Yeah, but he Is using the Textures that are shown on the Filterforge Site, he didn't generate them himself.

That's quite a Difference from my View.

gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 23:06 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 23:09
well, i recognize one of the textures. i suppose ill have to delete my copy of it for im taking no chances.

are these for anybodys use?

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]
tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 23:26
It is illegal, unless he has writen permission or the textures were freeware with (giving the auther credit) which I can't see those being free or of course he could also use them if he bought them as a pack, that is of course if it is royalty free textures and not for non-commercial use.

This is makes me keen to buying anything from the tgc store. Some of these people are using packages like 3ds max , and Maya. Personally i'm not going to speculate that some of these are made with illegal software, but you never know. I say this because i have seen request in the past from people with max that were looking for temp work. Of course these seem to be students or people looking to make a couple bucks for to buy things that are (cheap)...put it together. Students for one usually have Student copy's, which is for school training, not commercial sales.

And well if a person can afford to pay for 3ds max or maya, they can most likely afford to pay for the cheaper programs and not looking to make money to buy cheap things. Call me paranoid, or self rightess all people want...but i just do not support any Illegal business.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 23:28 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 23:30
As for my segments made with filter forge textures this is 100% legal as i own the app and the licence allows me to use textures in media i make and it can be sold for commercial use thats what the app is for.

As im aware many users use filterforge for textures and it is legal to do so if you dont believe me you can check the filterforge website but as there are issues i may ask Janet to take them down to be sure that in future users dont get this feeling.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 23:39 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 23:42
I have asked fro my textures from the filterforge application to be removed and im sure they will be as of now they are no longer on sale.

Sorry to anyone that has an issue with this but it is legal for me to do this as i have a licence but to ensure future buyers dont get put off by this i will happily remove the segments in question. Expect to see more up soon i have moved away from filterforge anyway i use photos now to make textures. Those segments where old ones laying around so i thought id upload them.

And "GOH Doomster" we had a talk about this before ont he community forums and we all decided it was legal for me to do this i am the licence holder and can do this with the textures but if it makes you all happy i will remove them true they are not generated by me but i guess thats what the app was for to make it easy mainly used it when i was starting out

Thanks everyone hope there arnt any hard feelings im not a fault at all

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 23:44 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 23:57
as I just said, He can use them if they were apart of a pack which he paid for.

I will always be keen about what i buy though, especially from amature freelancers, or any persons that are not appart of a respectable company such as TGC and others.

I think this is why I don't use the extended terrain that I bought, I did'nt know he was using illegal textures till after i bought it. then somebody posted that these textures were from some game, ever sinse I stopped using it.

@next...... Why remove them? if you have the license for them then you should just leave it. Maybe perhaps just add a document stating your a licence holder for them that's all. Personally if people are going to use other media that they have purchased and have rights to sell it as part of an object or something. I think it would be smart to add a doc stating your licenses just as part to prevent threads like this going up.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 23:47 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 23:47
Thanks for understanding like i said i have removed the segments now and over easter all new ones will be coming NOT from filterforge i might add lol seems that gets people in a bit of a state.

As for this other user there is no doubt he is using illegal textures. So obvious his store account will be terminated very soon.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 00:33
The bottom line is that, at least at this point no one knows if he had permission to use the textures or sell content that uses those textures. It is often within the terms of use, when you purchase textures, and sometimes with free textures as well, to be able to sell whatever you make with them. If he did something wrong he will no doubt be found out and dealt with.

It seems fair also that, if he is innocent and within his rights to sell the content, the person who falsely accused him in public and without benefit of doubt should be punished as well.

Best.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 00:40
My thinking is that i will remove the segments as if one user has an issue with this now i can see it coming back to haunt me over and over again best to eliminate the issue now before it gets to big for me.

I would very much appreciate not being accused for this as xplosys said it was a false accusation and im actually worried that now people will think of me differently and think i'm lieing where as on the contrary i am very much telling you the truth.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 00:49
Generally it's better to e-mail a Mod about these things, for reasons Xplosys stated. If indeed it is found out that accusations have flown without proper background work (ie., contacting the person in question, as well as TGC), then there will be repercussions.

It's not fair to the artists here who do honest work to be thrown into question along with someone who "may" be doing something illegal.

-Keith

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 00:56
Keith can i please ask this be removed im very worried about the implications of the accusations when im not in the wrong

Anyone with issues with me pop me an email

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 03:21
Quote: "It seems fair also that, if he is innocent and within his rights to sell the content, the person who falsely accused him in public and without benefit of doubt should be punished as well."

I agree with this...

Quote: "It's not fair to the artists here who do honest work to be thrown into question along with someone who "may" be doing something illegal. "

Nope not at all, this is why i stated this.

[qoute]Personally if people are going to use other media that they have purchased and have rights to sell it as part of an object or something. I think it would be smart to add a doc stating your licenses just as part to prevent threads like this going up. [/qoute]

I beleive this is about the smartest thing to do as it would prevent accusation. I am the type I am very skeptical about buying things from a free lancer or anyone who does'nt have any real business established. If i were to buy a product like this where the artist is using media from other artists. I would feel alot better knowing that what i bought is 100% legal. Nothing would suck more than to actually produce something that makes a hit with a community in sales, just to find out that what your using is not legal.

I lost respect for master xilo in this case as he is using textures to promote his editor that he does not have permission to use. I like the editor but until i replace the textures in it, i do not use it. Just can't be bothered to change the textures right now as i don't need it anyway.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
If you own filterforge, as I do (I just bought it recently and am having a cool time creating my own) you have the license to sell them, simple as that. In fact all the filters you download from the website are free to use and sell, you can produce these using the 30day trial version, and they are yours to do with as you wish, this is actually a bone of contention with the creators of said filters due to the licensing in place, as most of these 'artists' put these up to try and be awarded a full version of the software so they give away rights to them so they can be used by anyone for any purpose, some artists genuinely like creating and just showcasing their filters.
I wouldnt have taken those segments down, the onus is NOT on you to prove your innocence in this case but more on folks who should take the time to look into the licenses for these particular products themselves before throwing accusations around on a public forum.
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 05:45
i KNOW its illegal cuz i will have a store account soon and the terms and conditions say you have to PROMISE tgc that they are SOLELY you work, or else show that someone else has given you written permission

It is well that war is so terrible or we should grow too fond of it- Robert E Lee
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 07:20 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2009 07:33
Quote: "i KNOW its illegal"

If your referring to my post above, I dont see how
If its illegal to sell textures that you create using software I reckon we should just go the whole way and have all the Max and Photoshop users round here remove their products from the store.
If were talking about the original subject of this thread I have no idea whether or not he has purchased these textures or what the license is on these, in fact Dawid Michalczyk (eonworks.com) has some filterforge textures for free on the site referred to in the first post, these are from the filterforge site, kinda ironic really. This kind of witch hunting does no one any good and he should be given a chance to respond.
While on the subject I would think we should insist that all media creators provide evidence of their licenses for Max,photoshop,FPSC etc so we can all sleep safely
SOTSOG FPS GameCreators
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is the offical wording from Dawid's web site on images displayed in his texture gallery:

Can I use/buy/license your textures from the gallery for my game/website/project/etc/?

No. I was hired to paint these textures for commercial games, thus they can not be used in any other projects. I don't own any rights to them except for selfpromotion. If you have seen them used online in anyway, they are being used illegally.

[href]null[/href]http://www.art.eonworks.com/about/faq.html
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 09:40 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2009 09:58
I 100% see this the same way as rolfy i dont see why people dont understand why it is legal for me to do this.

Please if you have an issue with what i am saying email me it is NOT fair to accuse me of doing illegal things when i am within my rights to do this. I have emailed a mod to get this thread removed as i find we have totally forgotten the original reason it was made and now you are just all finding unjust reasons to ridicule me please STOP its not fair non of you have any evidence what so ever come back to me with a licence from filterforge saying i CANNOT use these textures then i will agree and will happily accept the punishment but there is not and i am quite frankly fed up of being the one that is getting attacked here when someone else is without question doing the illegal things (unless he can show us a licence of course). So email me if you have an issue with me as for those that actually read what i said and can see it is not illegal then thank you for not making false accusations and jumping to conclusions before finding out anything at all. I bet most of you that have said it is illegal havnt even bothered to go the filterforge website to take a look.

Mods once more i request to have this locked and removed if possible it has gone too far already anyone that posts that im in the wrong after all that i have just said obviously cant read or is just plain ignorant.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 11:53 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2009 11:59
Due to these false accusations i have decided no one will buy the filterforge segments now so i have added them back into the store when they are re-approved by janet they WILL be FREE for anyone to use this only applies for segments with textures made in filter forge this also means that they will be removed from any prize lists for my contests but they will be replaced by new segments that i will be making very soon.

Also my dog had to be put down this mourning i am not in the mood for arguments please save me the grief im honestly not in the mood to lie or do anything im very upset and just wnat this over with now.

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 13:23
Oh, we feel for you Next, we've all been in the stage where we lose a loved one ;(. Everyone stop bragging on about Next, he's a good guy and we don't want to lose him like we almost did with CoZ.

-FCV

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 14:46
I'm locking this as I don't want arguments started, we all know the situation and awaiting Lee's reply.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 22:07
Here's Lee's reply:

Quote: "We will remove the artists items and begin a full investigation. Having checked out the site, I can confirm it does look like the textures have been taken illegally, but I always conduct an investigation impartially and consider all sides before making a decision. The items have been removed simply to limit any potential damage."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 07:16:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 07:16:41