Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Super Mario Galaxy - Best Game award

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 01:21
Why am I posting this here? It seems that just about everyone was expecting Grand Theft Auto to win and yet they walked away with nothing. I liked what Steve Vink said in the newest newsletter,

Quote: "For me, this gives new hope to the indie game developer. . . it does indicate that the market place is open to alternative gameplay, and graphical realism doesn't have to be part of the package."

Therein lies the reason for this post. Although using FPSC might not win anybody a Best Game award at Bafta Game Awards but I believe one can create a very good game just the same. So, take heart all of you FPSC game developers. You might even find a niche with your game.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 18:33
Quote: "Although using FPSC might not win anybody a Best Game award at Bafta Game Awards"

FPSC is actually capable of producing a game that could win Best Game at the bafta game awards.
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 19:07
Quote: "FPSC is actually capable of producing a game that could win Best Game at the bafta game awards. "

Maybe when the migration comes....or at least PLY'S Mod.

PUNK IS BACK!
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 19:19
I'll quote what you said yourself;
Quote: "Why am I posting this here?"

Sorry if I sound rude, but I just don't see the point.

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
i do its fun... simply wicked fun right?

IV
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 22:14
Quote: "FPSC is actually capable of producing a game that could win Best Game at the bafta game awards."

Yes if you imagine it all in your head.

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 23:54
Just trying to figure this out...
Quote: "Super Mario Galaxy - Best Game award"

Quote: "For me, this gives new hope to the indie game developer. . ."

Quote: "Nintendo Company Ltd. is a global company located in Kyoto, Japan founded on September 23, 1889"

Nintendo is anything but indie... so how does Mario Galaxy winning an award give hope to an indie developer?

Your mother has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 00:14 Edited at: 4th Apr 2009 00:15
But it's designed like an indie game would be, whereas GTA is definitely not.

Hell, Evochron I'd say is worthy of some sort of award, and that's a DB Classic game.

EDIT: This should probably be in GC.

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 01:18
Quote: "But it's designed like an indie game would be, whereas GTA is definitely not. "

and how is that? I really don't get it. Indie games are designed the same way other's are aren't they? Unless you're saying that Mario Galaxy was designed and written by one or two guys?

Your mother has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
He's saying that Galaxy (ftw) was designed very differently to alot of games on the market. Take a look at the ever-growing shooter genre. I wouldn't call half of them 'indie'. And how many original platformers do you see nowadays? Heck, the only two I've seen recently are Galaxy and Super Paper Mario, and the latter is an RPG. See what he's getting at?

Ocho Geek stole my avatar!
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 23:54
I mean it doesn't have a hugely well set out story or anything like that. It's basically one method of play, repeated over several themes.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 00:38 Edited at: 5th Apr 2009 00:58
Super mario galaxy was a good game but the use of suits can hardly be viewed as original given it was introduced in SMB3.

The implementation of planets rather than worlds seemed more like a limitation consideration of the system rather than a concept.

Whilst I enjoyed playing the game which is obviously important, from a technical standpoint I thought Super Mario 64 was more impressive.

Forunately for Nintendo, super mario sunshine strayed slightly from the success of 64 so Galaxy didn't have anything to directly compete with.

Sure it was fun but it was more of a spin off than a step forward for the series. Also I didn't like that they implemented gameplay features (collecting stars / star jumping etc) purely to accomodate the wii's controls. Mario doesn't need such gimmicks.

Galaxies was hailed by some reviewers as the true successor to Mario 64 but in my opinion can't be compared in the same league.

Is it the best game on wii, probably. Is it the best game of this generation, er no. To be fair I thought GTA 4 was overated and didn't take the series any further forward either so I don't have any sympathy for Rockstar games. Lets just say must do better all round for these bafta awards.

This does not take away from the fact FPSC could be used to make an award winning game of course.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 01:51 Edited at: 5th Apr 2009 01:52
It's nice to have a discussion on Super Mario and what should or should not be a best game; but that is definitely for the Geek Culture forum.

However, you guys kind of missed my point as well as Steve's and it seems it could have produced a good discussion revolving around FPSC.

I would like to quote the two paragraphs that Steve wrote in the current TGC newsletter (#75)

Editorial - April 2009

Quote: "In the last month, the Bafta Game Awards were handed out amongst glitz and glamour not far from what we expect from the Film Baftas. The results generated much discussion and debate, particularly over two titles that surprised the industry and players alike. Grand Theft Auto, an impressively polished game from one of the most respected teams in the industry left with nothing. Meanwhile, Super Mario Galaxy walked away with the Best Game award.

For me, this gives new hope to the indie game developer. Granted, Super Mario Galaxy is not from an industry minor, and has all of the financial might behind it as the other contenders. However, it does indicate that the market place is open to alternative gameplay, and graphical realism doesn't have to be part of the package. Too often the big names have to stick to tried and tested formulas to guarantee a return on their huge investments. Meanwhile, it leaves the rest of the field to innovate."

Sorry some missed my point. The point is that an extremely polished game with lots of realism and super graphics does not necessarily make what some would say should be perhaps the best game of the year. What makes a good game is playability, keeping the interest of the player at peak, and of course FUN. FPSC is capable of creating a very good game regardless of the lack of resolution, the lack of realism for certain things and so on. We need to concentrate on the strengths of FPSC and good game making techniques that are found in such games as Super Mario.

I know it is difficult to script. However, scripting is what can truly enhance a game made with FPSC. IMHO, I've always felt that there is too much emphasis on making one's own customized models. For me, that takes away from actually creating the game. Remember, we are developing a game pretty much by ourselves. By the time all of the models have been made, it is possible to lose interest in the game and either the game is never completed or it is done quickly and what do you have? Great customized models but a game that is not necessarily even fun to play.

I definitely do not take away from those who have learned to model because they are the ones I turn to for models in my games. I have actually completed several games. Most of them were educational and sold to local educational institutions. A couple for family and friends like the only one I have in the WIP forum.

OK, this is long. But I had to re-iterate my point and now others can have the last words. If there are any.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 02:46
I caught your point from the get go, but it was interesting to see the different tangents people would take it.

He's not comparing FPSC directly to Super Mario Galaxy. SMG used what it had to it's potential and for what it was capable of doing. Instead of complaining to the console designers about their limitations, they used what they had to make a great game.

FPSC is no different. It has it's limitations, but instead of crying about them, it'd be better to just accept them and do what you can with it's strengths. Believe it or not, FPSC does have it's strengths and those should be used to their fullest potential. Right now, we have a great scripting language, we have an easy-to-use Editor, we have an out-of-the-box make-your-own-game-in-a-fraction-of-the-time tool that barely anyone seems to accept for what it is.

In my eyes, FPSC is for those who cannot program a "real" game. The FPI language that FPSC uses is by no means weak.

You know what kind of games I made and STILL make, even though I am a programmer? I make games WITHOUT shaders, WITHOUT realism, but with a concentration on gameplay and the core game mechanics. That's MY strength and I use it. You should use FPSC's strengths and I'm sure your games will come out that much better.

So while we're all waiting for FPSC's list of strengths to grow, let's stop the complaining and work with what we have to make some great pieces of entertainment.

The one and only,

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 05:41
Very well said Plystire. I agree with it all(especially the scripting portions).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 07:19:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 07:19:11