Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Hints and tips on custom segments

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 14:25 Edited at: 4th Apr 2009 14:26
This is not a tutorial but tweaking, tips and hints with regards to segments that can be used with X9 and X10, as well as discussing meshes and common problems found when importing your own custom segments into FPSC.

Any one wanting to create their own custom media for X9 or X10 has found numerous problems with certain segments simply refusing to work.

With the simple understanding of how the engine works with meshes you will be able to create segments without and limitations.

Let’s start.

Rooms segments are the basic building blocks of you level, and contain a floor, 4 inner walls and corners as well as 4 outer walls and corners. This is the default room segment you will find that all TGC stock room segments follows this segment blue print.

Now there is third party software that allows you to make your own room segment this software doesn’t follow the default segments blue print and in most cases only use a floor and 4 walls?

These segments do indeed work without any problems and looks great however complications do arise and I will discuss them in full detail.

Using this blue print has complications with regards to the following:
Using the stock blue print with this one together
CSG doesn’t display correctly or is doesn’t work at all.

Currently I don’t know of any work around that will allow you to use all default CSG 100% correctly with the third party blue prints. It is likely due to the blue print missing the outer walls. It may be possible to increase the thickness of walls that the third party software uses that is the same thickness of the default blue print inner and outer walls combined?

It is also possible that the third party software FPE files differ in some way subtle way that can cause a problem within the engine I can’t confirm this however.

I prefer to use the TGC software that is available as well as using the default blue prints for segments mostly due to lesser problems occur when making custom rooms for either X9 or X10.

I also try and closely follow wall floor and ceiling mesh thickness and size 90% of the time. When making wall ceiling and floor meshes I always take into account CSG that I will be using on the final room segment. I always make sure that the CSG sticks out by a fair bit EQUALLY on both sides of a room segment to make sure the engine does indeed punch the walls correctly as I don’t know the engine limitation of ignoring the CSG that has been placed.

CSG meshes made has to fit into the section 100% correctly overlapping the CSG a bit will cause problems most of the times. Making a segment that overlaps multiple wall segments will also cause problems so try and stick to only one segment wall at a time.

CSG meshes that touch will also cause problems with the one CSG mesh not being rendered correctly using full wall CSG meshes is not recommend as well as overlapping CSG meshes. The work around if your CSG needs to overlap more than one wall is to spilt up the CSG into parts and use it in such a way.

Using an entity and a CSG only will also cause problems so also try to in close the entity in a mesh that forms part of the CSG segment for example a window contains a window frame an entity and the CSG.

Room segment types have special culling flags assigned to them should you add a plain Doorframe and CSG and import the CSG as a default door segment that also falls under room segment mode as well, the area behind the door frame will not render due to culling it will only render once you enter the next section via the doorframe you have inserted.

The work around to this problem as well as segments that have transparent textures is to change the segment mode from room mode to straight mode as the mode doesn’t have the culling flag assigned to it.

As mentioned before you can use these on transparent textures as well, this mode doesn’t work on all segments. Segments that does have transparent textures like grates it is better to import the mesh as a entity and use a grate frame, grate and CSG method as well as applying the changed straight segment mode to avoid culling problems.

As said before CSG needs to fit into a single wall mesh, the same needs to be applied to walls ceilings and floors and should not overlap the next wall floor or ceiling segment.
The size needs to be 100% correct to avoid a dark line being render where 2 segments meet. To avoid this problem a default wall ceiling floor can be imported into your model editor and scaled correctly to the default segment. This can also be done to get the correct thickness of walls to enable a unified look.

One should also note that al segments that have been imported into X9 and X10 have a special flag that tells the engine how the segment should be rendered with regards to light mapping failure to use this flag or use the correct mode will result in the segment not even showing up with in the editor or not being rendered.

It is really hard to say which segments are the most effected by problems as even the best designed segment will have some sort of a rendering problem and due to the randomness of this one can only see this by trial and error.

To lessen the chance of this happening the meshes can be formatted correctly all segment meshes used within X9 and X10 should be triangulated. Un-triangulated meshes is likely to give errors even before you have had the chance to import the segment.

In conclusion third party software does indeed work however before using any CSG meshes on these third party segments make sure that they do indeed fit correctly onto the walls of the segment. CSG segments may need to be scaled to fit on the walls correctly.

Your welcome to asks more questions with regards to segments.

Pointless Assault video
http://w13.easy-share.com/1408971.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 07:24:54
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 07:24:54