Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / All my work is gone... HDD Failiure

Author
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 13:34
Hi all, my HDD with all my work and games on it failed unexpectedly, so I lost everything. I cannot recover FPSC or FPSCX10, not all my work without paying thousands of dollars (I owned original coppies, but I cant find the CDs). And all I am left with is a backup image of FPSCX9, and few of the games that I had on the HDD. All of my many years of work has gone. I may not be creating games for some time now. It could be either the board that the HDD is connected to, or the HDD itself. I beieve its the HDD because I put my ear on it and I hear a repetitive grinding noise. On this HDD I have lost:

-LOTS of graphics work
-FPSC X9 & X10
-Crysis (all my work)
-My SA-MP server
-Lots more, the list is too long to say, but lets just say about $10,000 worth or software. I have taken numerous attempts to fix this, but I have had no luck. Ill have to start using FPSC from scratch. This is very inconveinient because I had a few completed assignments that I needed to hand in. I will contact Seagate and discuss a sollution, this HDD is about 1yr 6months old, and past the warranty. I have my laptop back, but nothing that I had recovered. I have attempted to make backups, but all has failed. This is an 80GB Seagate Momentus 5400.3. It will be very difficult to recover all my work if I am able to.

thanks

Modeler, Texturer, Animator Requests: Email me!
Hacksaw Games
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 13:41
The moral of the story is to always have a backup mate, always...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 13:50
I would have made backups, but there were no signs of failiure.
This is too much, this was running perfect. It decided to just... DIE! It was unpredicted. Who would make an entire backup of their HDD when it is about 80gb. I made a backup of few games. I will now check my PC for ANY work I have.

Hacksaw Games
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 13:51 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 13:56
You don't make backups just when there are signs of failure, things can fail at any time without any signs or warnings.

Quote: "Who would make an entire backup of their HDD when it is about 80gb. "

You don't need to generally, only backup the stuff that is irreplaceable.

I backup pretty much every day I work on something.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
You shouldn't wait for signs of failure, I try to back stuff up every month.
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to hear that GamerDude.

Quote: "The moral of the story is to always have a backup mate, always..."
- So true.

Do you know much about pc's Gamerdude? If you know of someone with a similar chipset/rig. You could try your HDD in another pc and see if it fires.
I recently had a motherboard fail, and was able to use a external dvd drive with usb support to connect the HDD to a new rig, to save time going through backups.
Anyway, all the best getting yourself set back up.

Blazor X
GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 13:57
I just had another hear, its probably a power fault (usually louder, I only hear one motor, and it doesent have motion effects when I move it around). It might be the connection. If it is, I make backups straight away.

thanks

Hacksaw Games
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I just had another hear, its probably a power fault (usually louder, I only hear one motor, and it doesent have motion effects when I move it around). It might be the connection. If it is, I make backups straight away."

Re-reading your first post, so you still can fire up windows. You however are missing files? Are you typing on the system now?
And what do you mean about motion effects?
I suggest you switch it off, and take a look inside if you think its connection - i.e. power supply, which I don't believe if you can still fire windows.
Good luck though saving what you can, from what your saying sounds like the HDD is almost dead.

Blazor X
GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 14:23
This HDD is not the one I have windows on. It is a 2.5" external HDD. I think it is the Caddy Circuit board. By motion effects, I mean the gravity effects that you get when you move a spinning HDD. I.E. the actual disk isnt moving. Im going to buy a new hdd case and see if that helps.

thanks

Hacksaw Games
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 14:27
I've got my pc to backup all created and modified data to my server in the loft when I logoff.

Maybe you should do something like that.

knxrb

GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 14:37 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 16:57
I have a server, but I dont have the time to set it up. All software is loaded though.

thanks

It is the actual drive that is broken, i have looked at the drive board and found nothing. I need to get this recovered. What are cheap recovery companies? And their prices? the problem is with the motor controller. the hdd base needs to be replaced so i can get all my data back.

Hacksaw Games
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 17:16
Sorry for your loss. And next time, get a 320 GB or higher hard drive. Now the minimum GB for a hard drive is 320 or 300.

My youtube account: funnybun123
Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 17:24
oh, and always get a new hard drive every five years, and when you run out of slots you can replace the oldest one, thats your best bet

Not in cruelty, Not in wrath The Reaper came today;
An Angel visited this gray path And took the cube away.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 17:28
For the cost, I'd look into buying a replacement drive, like the exact same model, and then take the board from the new drive and replace the broken one in the old drive.

You might pay £50 for the HD, but for a company to do that for you, well it's hundreds, perhaps even thousands depending on how much data you need restored. It sounds like your already in the guys of the HDD, have a look and see if you could fix it yourself with a replacement board, then go looking through eBay for the same drive.

It's worth a shot I think, I'd swap the guts, backup the files, then swap the guts back over and throw the broken drive away.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 00:15
that is what I will try, i willl do anything to get this data back (ALL of my coding, apps, games, school work, mapping, modelling, etc) i only got a couple of things off it. And, all my laptop backups are on there.

thanks

Hacksaw Games
Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 00:30
80gb is not alot, I have a TB drive, 1000gb. Invest in one of those, it'll pay off.

"March 1st 2009, 12:49pm, a 3 year struggle with cancer ends..."
Marc Steene
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 10:21
1024gb

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Piracy Discussion Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142774&b=21
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 10:51
Quote: "80gb is not alot, I have a TB drive"

Overcompensating

I'm sorry to hear about your data GamerDude. May I ask why you stored it on your external disk only? I'm getting an external to back my stuff up quicker and easier, but I'm not really understanding the idea of keeping originals on an external without any copies on your actual HDD. Is it a space issue?

Van B's plan seems the most logical, good luck

Paul

Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 11:38
GamerDude

So sorry to hear of your data loss, I hope you find an identical drive and can get the data back.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 11:52
Quote: "Who would make an entire backup of their HDD when it is about 80gb."

Dude, WTH? That's a bit of a brainless statement. I'd back up my 'drives if they were two terabytes.

The only reason mine isn't backed up is because I don't have an empty external drive now, as soon as I buy another 500gb one I'll back it up straight away...
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 12:37 Edited at: 7th Apr 2009 12:37
I have 2 TB drives and i can say i do 2 backups one to the web to my secure server the second is to drives in my house only takes an hour or so not that much of a big deal.

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 14:27
i dont do backups,thats why i burn most of the stuff on dvds(the stuff i really really really need) but you should get the disk repaired by a company,doesent cost much when you compare it to the work you put into your files

A.K.A. chargerbandit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 07:20:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 07:20:10