Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Some Questions About Dark Physics/AI Before I Buy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 16:27
Hello, I am currently working on a program using DarkGDK and Sparkys Collisions and I am getting to the point where I am looking for a more advanced way to do physics (actually, I really only want ragdoll physics, but some extra functionality wouldn't hurt).

Just a quick run down of how I plan on using physics in my game:

1. Ragdoll physics on enemies when they die (this is perhaps the most critical thing for me).
2. Breakable joints (ie if you hit an enemies arm, depending on the force you hit it with, it might come flying off).
3. Some limited destructable environments, things like a stack of crates you could knock over, etc.

So basically I am wondering, would Dark Physics suit my needs well? I am not the best programmer out there, but I am willing to put the time into getting what I need out of Dark Physics.

About Dark AI, I am mostly wondering if this integrates effectively into Dark Physics/GDK. I know it should make controlling allies and enemies much easier, but how effective would it be making units aware of their destructable nature? For example, how easy/hard would it be get an enemy to rotate himself relative to the player to make the most effective use of his shield, or to attack the player in a fashion to inflict maximum damage?

I guess while I am looking at buying things how much would I get out of EZRotate, I looked over its description page and there wasn't much there that jumped out at me as useful, however I am still very early on in the development of my game and I haven't really had much trouble using the math for angles in my game so far. I am engineering student and as such I have covered a lot of material related to 3d system/relative motion analysis/etc.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. I have attached a zipped copy of my game so far so you can see where I am. Basically I have most of the system to control my character down and need to start working on the physics/combat system next. To run the game you have to hit the "New Game" button and than the "Start Game" button (lower left of the screen). Movement is WASD plus RMB to camera look. Basically all I need to do now for the camera system is add collision detection with the game world.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 02:19
Ragdoll physics are not possible in Dark Physics (unless there is a working example of a humanoid ragdoll somewhere, which i have not seen). Breakable joints are possible, but without working ragdolls breakable body parts would look silly.

It is possible for limited destructible environments, perhaps more so, there are a few examples scattered around the forum.

As for dark AI, it is quite difficult for it to be implemented onto dark physics because the character controller is next to useless. You can however implement methods into dark AI to avoid physics objects relatively easily

EZ Rotate however is an absolutely fantastic plugin and well worth the money, the creator of that is extremely helpful and releases updates quite often. I'd say buy all of his plugins as they are so useful and very well built.

As for Dark Physics I'd say no, especially if you are looking for ragdoll stuff as I have yet to see examples of this other than the TGC example of the rope, its a fantastic rigid body simulator but thats about all it can do without exploding, quite frankly I expected more out of this plugin. It should at least handle the functions the free physics plugins available for dbp can do. An update is long overdue. Dark AI is quite good although i still think it looks jittery most of the time
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 22:14
Quote: "Ragdoll physics are not possible in Dark Physics"

Have you checked Dark Physics\Demos\Ragdoll?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:24:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:24:17