Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Question about Dark Physics before I buy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 03:07 Edited at: 8th Apr 2009 03:12
I have a Nvidia GeForce 9300m GS will i be able to run the physics demos in hardware mode? Does dark physics work in the Dark GDK or am I going to have to jump through hoops to make it work? Oh and is it using the Nvidia physics sdk now or is it still the old ageia stuff? thanks

The only limit to creating video games is your imagination
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 20:51 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 21:01
DarkPhysics does infact have GDK support. And just to aleviate any kind of doubt in your mind, here's what a portion of my "order hitory" looks like to show the downloads availible for Dark Physics, Dark AI, and EZ Rotate, to show you that they all have GDK support too...

The latest DarkPhysics should support CUDA, at least I keep hearing it does. I finally have a CUDA capable card but haven't tested it yet. However, I do know that the latest version runs off of nVidia's software fallback, don't know about the CUDA part though.

However, I would not recommend DarkPhysics unless you are only aiming for the right to put a PhysX logo in your game or absolutely MUST have all the complex physics stuff that you don't want to code yourself. You see, DarkPhysics is incapable of being used with timer based movement. So it's very framerate dependent. This results in unpredictable performance across a wide range of systems. There are ways to reduce it's impact, but ultimately, you cannot keep the gameplay consistent between machines.

If you can muster it, would highly recommend using Sparky's Collision and from there make your own in-house physics.

You see, nVidia's PhysX system running on CUDA actually uses up video memory and can slow down the framerate. So I usually keep it turned off and let my CPU do the PhysX instead. I actually get faster performance by not using hardware accelleration for PhysX. And that's not just DarkPhysics, that's everything that's PhysX based. My CPU handles it so much better than my 9800GTX+

Everything I needed to know about trigonometry, I learned by becoming a game programmer.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
pc nerd
User Banned
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 03:27
I would caution you from buying this as i did and i waisted my money, that is if your going to use it for a game. for aplications its great, but for game theory it does not do what your hooping. its funny, i can use sparkys dll and get real good collition, if its set up right, and its free. with dark phisics i could not impliment ant timmers, no points or health as it takes forever to turn the collition off it meses with everything. it loads slow and ends slow. of course this is just my two cents.

dweeb

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 01:20:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 01:20:57