Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Can anyone give a COMPLETE texturing tutorial?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 06:24
I was wondering if anyone could give one that went through EVERY SINGLE STEP because my textures never show up when i texture a uv map.

Thankyou

It is well that war is so terrible or we should grow too fond of it- Robert E Lee
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 09:03
Maybe you could look for a texturing tutorial with EVERY SINGLE STEP. Really, I doubt anyone here is going to make an entire guide for you.
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 20:05
no, what i mean is not like this

Quote: "now click bucket fill, and click on the circle in the center of the uv map"

i mean like saving the files and making them show up in game. Because i have two planes i made for my game that i need textured, and i cant texture them cause the uv maps dont work or something

Thankyou

It is well that war is so terrible or we should grow too fond of it- Robert E Lee
James Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 20:19
I just bought Bullshock's FPS Toolbox...it does all of that files setup process and exporting automatically. I didn't like messing with it either.

What modeling program are you using? Did you UV Map them, or just figure they would do it automatically? Do you have the textures saved as .dds files?

-Kravenwolf
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 20:23
I model in sketchup, get them into blender, and then export from there.

I did uv map them and i textured the uv maps.

Do they have to be .dds? cause i always thought it was targa.

I will buy the toolbox if you think i should.

thanks for the help

James Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 20:29 Edited at: 11th Apr 2009 20:34
I like the toolbox, it was $15, and I think was definately worth the money.

The problem is most likely with Blender. Blender apparently has issues exporting .x files. I use Blender for my modeling and texture mapping, and encounted the same problem when exporting with .x. The textures came out all distorted. So to solve it, I export from Blender as an OBJ file, and then load that into Milkshape 3D. From Milkshape, I export it as a .x file, and it works fine every time.

And I'm almost 100% sure I read on the forums in the past the texture has to be .dds to run in FPSC..but you may want to do a little searching just to confirm it. If that's the case and you don't have FPSC TOOLBOX (which coverts textures to .dds automatically), you can get a plugin for GIMP that creates .dds files. Then you would have to put the texture in FPS Creator's texture bank file, and edit the script of your model so that it uses the correct file directory to texture your model.

-Kravenwolf
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 20:45
thanks.
I actually just got the .dds plugin for gimp a few days ago. (i needed it lol)

Also i dont have milkshape, i need to buy it

thnx again

Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Nomad Soul's texturing guide is good, but it's for X10...

A picture says a thousand words.
--H.K.--
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/
Gamer X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 00:17
Quote: "And I'm almost 100% sure I read on the forums in the past the texture has to be .dds to run in FPSC"

The texture can be in many formats. .dds, .tga, .png are just the best formats to use, because of transparency and alpha channels are use with these.

FPSC seems to convert the textures itself to .dds format.

Personally, I use .png for my textures.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 07:22:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 07:22:53