Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Decapitating

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 17:29
Hi! I\'m working on a FPS that\'s gonna be related to GTA in the sense that you can do almost anything you want. But, I want the player to be able to shoot body parts off of the enemies and such, but i can only think of one way to do this. I could make each body part separately then make their animations match all the other body parts and just connect them, but this would be a giant pain. So is there an easier way of doing this?
ABXG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 18:44
Hello, I am in the same situation as you are. I am pretty sure that to get body parts to be seperable you need to create each limb seperatly and join them together. You will likely need a physics ebgine for the best effect. I am currently looking at Physx and Newton Game Physics as possible choices for the physics engine in my game. I will not be using Dark Physics as apparently there is no way to make it work with timer based movement.

------------------------------------
Currently 900+ lines of code into an "over-the-shoulder" action RPG with combat based on rag-doll physics.
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 18:51 Edited at: 11th Apr 2009 19:53
Ahh i see. I'm checking Newton Game Physics out now but does Dark Physics support ragdolls?

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has other methods on doing this! Thanks!

I'm poetry in motion
ABXG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 23:10
Dark Physics is just a wrapper for Physx, so it should support ragdolls because Physx supports ragdolls. As I said, Dark Physics apparently does not support timer basee movement which means that it would be a poor choice for a physics engine. The reason I am looking at Physx and Newton is bwcause I could code them from the ground up to work with timer based movement. I could also use multi-threading to run my physics calculations in a seperate thread. I will also be able to ensure that my NPC's behave properly.

------------------------------------
Currently 900+ lines of code into an "over-the-shoulder" action RPG with combat based on rag-doll physics.
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 23:39 Edited at: 11th Apr 2009 23:43
Oh, hmmm i'm thinking i would have to use Dark Physics anyway because i can't code C++ well enough to implement PhysX or Newton in my game. So, back to the original question. Anyone know any other efficient ways to make enemies who's body parts can come off realistically. (lol typing that sentence made me laugh a bit)

I'm poetry in motion
Sweemoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 16:29
i dont know how you would make body parts bounce around on the ground but a method i was thinking of would have the character model be split so wherever a body part is going to come off there is the inside of the arm after being cutoff but the rest of the arm is just another limb. when the arm or w/e comes off just use something like dbHideLimb. maybe for physics you would have the arm model separately and when the limb hides it unhides the arm model and that has separate physics from the character model.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 23:14:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 23:14:28