Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Using Dark GDK with Visual Basic 6.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 01:05
OK, I have read through the posts on the following thread - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=126707&b=2

People gave some mix answers, think someone stated you cannot do 3D games in VB6. Know its rubbish, because I have. You can use DirectX 6, 7, or 8 directly, but much more work. Or you can use a 3D engine like DarkGDK, or Truevision3D.

I have several projects that use TV3D 6.3, and since I will a registered copy of Dark GDK, going to be looking at porting over. One is like a 3D breakout called "BrickSpace" not that complicated of a game and would be a good one to practice with.

The other is my Big RPG builder software, and that would be a huge undertaking. Its so big, I even had problems porting to VB.NET 2005, but still feel its not necessary. Porting over to GDK is questionable at this time. This is a 3D world editor and data table editing all wrapped into one application.

Where I need help is looking at some samples of VB6 using GDK and such. Need to know how to initialize it, reference it through out the program. TV3D 6.3 is alittle different. Reason why I am considering porting over is costs and plan on selling these programs, some of know lower overhead is important.
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 01:17
Wait you wanna port over because of costs? I'm a bit confused because Dark GDK and Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition are both free, and the licensing for Dark GDK isn't too expensive. So where does the cost come in at?

I'm poetry in motion
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 01:54
Actually considering porting away from Truevision3D 6.3, because it will cost me $150 for a license. Purchased DarkGame studio last week and hope to get it here soon and DarkGDK comes bundled with it. I think I can re-distrubate DarkGDK freely from there. I am installing Dark GDK and VC++ 2008 right now. I know these are free to try, but question is the licensing.

I am looking at the best port over option that will take the least amount of work. Will settle on just changing the 3D engine. VB.Net is a little more work, but will take it one step at a time.
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 02:42
Oh i see, and Dark GDK and VC++ 2008 are free for personal use without any program limitations. The Dark GDK license cost $30 and the VC++ 2008 is free for personal/commercial use. But, sorry i can't help with a port over option.

I'm poetry in motion

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 23:16:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 23:16:08