Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / eJay Software?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't find any posts on it at all but does anyone have any idea whether the eJay software is any good for creating retro-style game music (or any game-usable music at all for that matter)?

It's cheap enough (compared to the FL Fruity Edition)

Cheers,

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 18:48
I haven't personally used it but I've talked to people that have, and they didn't really like that app at all. I got the feeling it's about as good to make music with as people's rear-ends are. But that's second-hand info. It's not what you have but how you use it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Is there a demo? That might give you your answer.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ejay isn't a software you use to compose, it isn't even a music making software at all. Or that's what i think, you litterally have no power over what the melody/bassline/drumloop sounds like, the only thing you get to choose is how to set up the song.

in Austrlia, there is a really red sun, u got a red sun in sky too?
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 19:20 Edited at: 13th Apr 2009 19:22
I did use a demo of ejay a few years ago - haven't heard anything of it for a long time though, so I hope this isn't too outdated!

It was quite good, actually, though in some ways rather limited. Basically, you have a set of eight tracks which you can fill by dragging and dropping any .wav file from the considerable library. You could also load custom audio clips to provide your own sound effects/audio loops.

It was a bit tricky settng up a continuous drum beat - the components were often very short, no more than a couple of seconds, and you had to manually extend it for as long as you wanted it to be (don't think there were copy and paste features).

As a music editor, you're limited to the audio samples in the libraries (they were divided into Rave, Hip-Hop and Dance, but you couldn't, for example, access Hip-Hop elements when in the Dance editor, which was a little irritating.) All in all, it was great for a beginner, who wanted to write music by arranging the pre-recorded samples. To write your own music, though, you'd probably need something else. It all depends just what you're after.

Hope this is of some use, although as I said I haven't worked with ejay for quite some time!

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 21:36 Edited at: 13th Apr 2009 21:38
Since Ejay isn't exactly suitable for anyone wanting to learn how to make music, why not start with the flstudio demo (availible at [href]www.flstudio.com[/href] ) and check out my tutorials at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116465&b=34 and http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116585&b=34 or you could check out some other tutorials on webpages like youtube

And in case you're wondering, you can export songs you make with the flstudio demo into .mp3 files, the only restriction is that you you can't save them into a .flp file, wich you probably won't really need at first when you're just checking out the program and learning about it's features

in Austrlia, there is a really red sun, u got a red sun in sky too?
Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 22:56
I agree with Grandma and Lucifer. I used Ejay once a while back and never used it again. Your best bet would be fruity loops. If you want complete control over everything, your gonna pay a pretty penny... for example, I'm using Sonar 8 producer and that costs 500 dollars.

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
StevetS
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comments guys!

I think it looks like FL is going to be the way to go. I'd downloaded the demo quite a while back and ran through the tutorials (great tutorials Lucifer!), but was thinking it was a bit like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer for what I need it for (plinky style 8bit / 16bit retro game music), and the cost is around £70.

Might have a bit more of a play with it. . . . .

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 17:20
You could also check out ModPlug tracker. It's free and capable of producing decent sounding such "low-quality" tracks.

But in the long run I'm pretty sure that FL studio would pay off though (not that I've ever used it myself, but everybody else seems to appreciate it and create really good stuff with it).

StevetS
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Rudolpho, will give it a look.

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the cash on FL (don't tell my wife tho! ). I'm more or less convinced its the sensible option long-term.

Mind, since I posted I picked up a copy of EJay Dance 7 Virtual Music Studio (at a bargain basement price!) which is apparently 'The Ultimate Audio Production Suite For Your PC' and I'll also (apparently) be 'Making my Own Music And Samples In No Time' - will let you know how it goes, given that I'm not really musically inclined.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 10:58 Edited at: 20th Apr 2009 11:00
Quote: "(plinky style 8bit / 16bit retro game music), "

If your strapped for cash theres always the freebee (qmusicv4)
I have plenty of demo songs as well as a quick video on youtube (search qmusicv4) and you will find it.

enter this crap in to register it:

user: 8ruo-5psu-ni6z
Reg: aY6N-T856-ulq2

i stopped keeping track on how many users i had.

Also a new update will be available soon.

download here:
http://www.jeku.com/sheldon/qmusicv4_102.zip

SMD3DInteractive
Dreamcube 017
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 12:21
I have eJay Dance 7 and you actually DO have controle over all the loops.

At first appearance it seems like they are just audio loops but actually the software has synthesizers in it with MIDI data and you can go in and edit it.

They're coming out with a new version that can use a MIDI controller and everything . I think it might even be an almost full digital Audio Workstation. Who knows.

eJay Dance 7 (and the other ones) aren't too bad and you do have controle over melody, but I think that once you get the hang of it, you'll want to expand your horizons a bit.

They also have a LOT of audio loops for a very cheap price taht you can use in ACID or whatever. The only drawback is they didn't cut some of the loops correctly so they don't always sync right. I should write them about this as it really is a rather large drawback.

But eJay's really not that bad for what it's worth.

And yes you can make some pretty cool game music with it if you know what you're going for.

Play to win and you'll loose in the end... I create music that can be used in games. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/search/author/race1
Free to use, just contact me first.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:36:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:36:16