Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Anyone know how to use Dark Physics to simulate movement?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I am trying to update an old game that I made many years ago in DB Classic, when it was plain old Dark Basic. I have had the physics addon since it was released but have never got to grips with it.
Now I am working on a remake of Water Racer, which I am sure no one remembers these days. I would like to use the physics to make the boat control better, it was my biggest gripe with the original. However upon trying the physics commands I have met with little luck.
Would anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about this? I am sure it is something I am doing wrong, rather than not being possible.
At the moment I am simply trying to apply a force to the boat to make it move forward, I am having limited success with this and am thinking I am going along the wrong route.
So after 8 hours playing with no success , am resorting to asking you guys for help.
Just pointers as to how you think would be a good way to go would be great.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Orion1024
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 07:48
What exactly isn't working properly? Use local force and torque to move and rotate your object respectively. You may also need to make a material and apply it to your object to get the attributes you desire...like direction of friction, bounce threshold, etc.

Looking for the vortex to another Earth
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, thankyou for a reply. I think it's just a matter of having no idea where to start. The turorials I have looked at seem to be mostly objects dropping naturally or stacks of boxes you can shoot or drive into. Nothing with the sort of control I am after. The vehicle physics seems, flawed, still , so am hoping for an alternate method. I'll get into the code and post some sort of example or more info as to what I am doing at the min. It did simulate the ship sinking nicely once, lol, not what I wanted but looked authentic

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Orion1024
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 03:05
I agree the tutorials could be a little more useful in terms of 'real world' scenarios...even worse is the fact that the documentation of commands can be woefully inadequate and incomplete. Unfortunately, it pretty much boils down to hours of experimenting and trying every possible combination to see what works. I picked up Dark Physics a couple months ago with the intention of 'merging' it into a game I was working on years ago (a simple tank game like Battlezone). After some thought, I decided the best approach was to start off with a clean slate, using the same models in an 'experimental' program so I could focus on the physics. After only a month, my 'experimental' program was much better than the original, so I abandoned the original (which was only 1500 lines & incomplete anyway). You could try the same if your original code isn't too extensive. I would try to code the new version so it could be merged into the old version if that route seems more appropriate.

Looking for the vortex to another Earth

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 04:58:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 04:58:02