Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / .exe has a problem and needs to close ??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 14:47 Edited at: 20th Apr 2009 14:49
Howdy,
I've built a little three level demo (and am still pretty much a noob at this) each level works fine in test and when I "build game". When I tried to compile all three levels in one build it will play through the first two levels and then-- right before the third level is finished loading to play, will throw an error that says "myGame.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close sorry for the inconvenience". myGame has a different title but you see what I'm saying ?? I tried compiling the empty of entities levels where I just have them empty and it did the same thing-- worked with two levels and not three, threw an error at the same spot right before the loader bar was finished for the third level.
I am worried it is me or my machine (I hope so) and this is the assumption I am starting with. The one thing I am wondering is that I have "compress files to save space" on my hard drive's properties panel and I wonder if this is maybe the problem ??
Also-- I notice by looking through the audio files in the .exe after I have built the game that the normal two audio files in the "music" file which are "WW2" && "user" (always there) have only one file in the .exe that throws an error. Other than this I don't know. Is anyone willing to maybe help me trace down the problem ?? I wouldn't (don't) consider the levels to be overly large and they all play o.k. and any two seem to play o.k.
I had a problem with level two in that all of the entities in line "went stupid" after a certain set of explosions but I got rid of those and everything there works fine now. Other than that, I don't know.
kind regards, mark pouncey

markpouncey
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 15:11
Why are you using "compress files to save space" on your hard drive? Are you low on disk space? FPSC must decompress each level as it loads and if your disk space is low, that could be a problem.

Best.

markpouncey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 17:12
Hello Again xplosys !!
I dunno-- just seemed like a 90210 kind of thing to do and all old chap !!! Actually, I've had it that way since I first bought the computer last year, and just thought it would be a good thing. I am going to back up these levels and save them to my thumb drive and then "uncompress all files so as not to save space" and try it again. Wow, if that one thing would fix my prob. I would be jumping up and down happy. Thanks for your prompt reply. I appreciate you.
kind regards, mark_p
P.P.S. your ladders are working great.

markpouncey
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 17:30
Without reading (im waaay to tired to read now) I searched this page for "mod" and nothing came up.

Mods are ussualy a problem, so If you are running one, try without.

~ Benny Boy 2321 ~ Raw Sandvich ~
markpouncey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 02:10
no mod-- just the V1.15 patch (which works great by the way, FPS went from say 29 FPS at best to around 38 FPS all the time, I love that && the levels load about 100 times faster my biggest levels load in under ten seconds flat TOTALLY KEWL !!!)
k.r., mark_p

markpouncey
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 03:25
- I need to get this beta!

~ Benny Boy 2321 ~ Raw Sandvich ~
java4
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the same problem, but only on other people's computers. It runs fine on mine. I have XP 32bit, and it won't run on other computers that I have tested, which have XP 32bit and Vista 32bit. I installed DirectX 9.0c on one of them, but still same problem. Any suggestions to try out?
markpouncey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 14:59
I dunno right now bro-- I got two empty levels and one full of entities level to run all the way through last night (I was SO grateful for that!). I spent about 9 hours un-compressing my hard drive like xplosis recommended above, over the week-end-- and it does seem to have helped some. When I compile level three of my test game by itself I get more music folder files than when I compile all three test levels together.
There's just no way I am going to be able to get into the source code and figure out what's up, I just don't have what it takes.
I am building the two other levels (empty of entities)back from scratch and trying it one phase at a time again this week with fingers crossed.
I seem to remember something in the 'official user's guide' about a theory out there about how once you draw or do something in a level, it stays there even if you delete it. That seems to be the case with my project, and I am going with what works and starting from scratch with what seems to be hanging up on me.
I wish I had something that would help for you. If mine doesn't do right after this I think I'm going to start sending messages to tech. support to see if I can get help from them.
kind regards, mark_p

markpouncey
markpouncey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 15:03
But, I would have never thought of testing on a bunch of other people's computers if you hadn't mentioned that so-- thanks and good luck.
k.r., mark_p
P.P.S. write me and let me know what happens-- I'm interested.

markpouncey
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having exactly the same problem with the game I'm currently working on. 1.15.3 as well....

Try the following: At the end of level 2, save your game, and then completely close it (return to Windows). Then restart and resume your saved game - you will surely find level 3 loading properly.

It has something to do with decals, I guess. Because sometimes my level loads correctly and then crashes whenever I shoot an enemy (blood) or a flak weapon (smoke/explosion decal).

Anyway, my solution is, so far, I'm having kind of "checkpoint" levels which are empty between all "real" levels with an automatic Quick-Save-Script. So whenever a player will experience that problem with the game, he can easly jump back to where he was in-game without need to always remember saving.

This is at least a way to "go around" the problem, although it does not really fix it ... I hope TGC will have a find a way to fix that someday.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 09:23:37
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 09:23:37